JB enjoying retirement | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB enjoying retirement

Says a lot about the loyalty and love of Cuse/CNY fans that despite how things unraveled, and the last ten or so years of ball, so many are still cheering on Jim in retirement.

Best fans in the country. Should not be doubted.

I could see him being a zone consultant for an NBA team. Go to training camp for a few days and coach them up.

I could see him being a zone consultant for an NBA team. Go to training camp for a few days and coach them up.
I can see it now. "Ok, so what ya gotta do here is identify your shooters. When you see Curry or Thompson go to the corner, watch for the swing pass and Jokic has to get out there and get a hand in his face without fouling. That's how I'd design it."

Really happy to see him enjoying himself. I just don't think he could bring himself to take that step / say the "R" word aloud, so when his hand was forced -- you could almost feel the pressure that had built up deflate, and he was good with it.

Personally speaking -- and with no disrespect intended toward JB -- I'm ALSO enjoying his retirement, because the new blood at the helm has already interjected a sense of excitement back into the basketball program.

The impressive roster reconstruction wouldn't have been possible if JB had stuck around -- and in fact we probably would have experienced a mass exodus of existing players who didn't want to return. Let alone added the new players like JJ / Westry / Cuffe, Mintz returning, etc. Impossible to envision that Benny, Mintz, Brown, and those newcomers would be suiting up next year for the Orange if JB had hung around for another season.

Win-win.

The change was long overdue, and needed to happen. And now that it has, we can celebrate JB's legendary accomplishments and move on from the 9 year program decline in parallel.

Last edited:
Says a lot about the loyalty and love of Cuse/CNY fans that despite how things unraveled, and the last ten or so years of ball, so many are still cheering on Jim in retirement.

Best fans in the country. Should not be doubted.

haha. I'm not sure treating the last 10 years—where we averaged 20 wins per season, went to two sweet 16s and one final four—as if it was some deep pit of despair, is quite the magnanimous gesture you're making it out to be.

"Best fans in the country" -- Maybe. But patting ourselves on the back for "cheering on" one of the best coaches in the history of the game—despite him not winning at quite the incredible pace he did previously— is maybe not the best evidence of that.

Last edited:
My Dad and I ran into Jim and Buddy yesterday. They were actually buying bait to go fishing. They both seem really good.
Dad loves JB and Jim is always super nice with him. Our camp is less than a mile from his. Buddy laughed hard at an exchange they had. I dont know him at all but in 5 minutes could tell hes a really great kid who loves his Dad.

Maybe he'll wander over and congratulate the British Open winner.
I read where he is true outdoorsman and loves his fishing, maybe JB can take him out on his boat and do a little fishing together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom