JB is the coach | Syracusefan.com

JB is the coach

FireballPhil

2nd String
I read where people are using the excuse "if it was one of his players, JB would have freaked if they did what he did at the end of the Duke game". These same people seem to forget there is a huge difference between JB and the players; they are players, he is the coach! JB did his job the other night. Did it cost the team the win? Possible, but unlikely. Did he just put ref's on notice that we are SU and won't stand for the same biased crap that has happened in the past? Absolutely. He also sent a message to his players, one that he truly cares(not that they didn't already know that by now). The "fit" also drew the attention of the national media, and not only the sports writers, but the selection committee got a full clear view of what went down that night. I don't know if SU would have retained #1 if they would have beat Duke, I highly doubt it, as to many people had already written off SU in favor of the Gators. I like what JB did-for the players, for the national attention, for the refs, and for the selection committee.

I read where people are using the excuse "if it was one of his players, JB would have freaked if they did what he did at the end of the Duke game". These same people seem to forget there is a huge difference between JB and the players; they are players, he is the coach! JB did his job the other night. Did it cost the team the win? Possible, but unlikely. Did he just put ref's on notice that we are SU and won't stand for the same biased crap that has happened in the past? Absolutely. He also sent a message to his players, one that he truly cares(not that they didn't already know that by now). The "fit" also drew the attention of the national media, and not only the sports writers, but the selection committee got a full clear view of what went down that night. I don't know if SU would have retained #1 if they would have beat Duke, I highly doubt it, as to many people had already written off SU in favor of the Gators. I like what JB did-for the players, for the national attention, for the refs, and for the selection committee.
Agree strongly with your bolded opinion. It is a terrible comparison. Coaches yell at refs all the time, players do not. Now let's go destroy Maryland!

I agree with this part as well. He is empowered to make statements on behalf of the program, the team etc.; the players are not. The key is that he needs to come behind that performance and make clear to the players that his behavior should not suggest that they have license to do anything similar...and I'm sure in one way or another he will. Sometimes it is ok to say do as I say, not as I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom