JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

EnviroSciGuy

Resident woody plant obsessive
JB's tenure has been extraordinary, and there will probably never be anyone like him again in the sport. None of us are happy with the way things are at present, but we have plenty of other threads about that. Instead of rehashing all of our frustrations, let's discuss some of the positive qualities of other potential coaches. I haven't been following things this year as closely as usual, but these names have captured my attention.

• Ben McCollum (NW Missouri State) looks like the Lance Leipold of NCAAMbball.
  • Greg Paulus (Niagara) likely needs no introduction here.
  • Sean Miller (Xavier) results speak for themselves; a lot of wild claims being made here against him that go well beyond the public story and conclusions (at least thus far) of law enforcement.
  • Jason Hart (G League Unite) SU alumnus that knows the current landscape as well as anyone, but can he coach and recruit at a national level?
  • Matt Langel (Colgate) Runs a winning program over in Hamilton and has... experience... boatracing P5 in-state rivals.
My top choice here would be Sean Miller based on experience and results (and pending any fallout from previous shenanigans), but pair any of the other guys with a top recruiter and I think the (near) future will be very bright.

Are we putting people that actually could get the job? If so my list is below:

Red Autry: Currently on staff and will be getting the job.
Mike Hopkins: Former assistant who is about to lose his job. So no buyout.
G-Mac: Currently on staff and will get the job if the top 2 people say no.

I don't get the infatuation some have with Paulus. He hasn't been much better than the previous Niagara coach(Chris Casey) that got fired.
Definitely the biggest reach of the group, but I keep hearing his name on this board and elsewhere. I'm intrigued.

Are we putting people that actually could get the job? If so my list is below:

Red Autry: Currently on staff and will be getting the job.
Mike Hopkins: Former assistant who is about to lose his job. So no buyout.
G-Mac: Currently on staff and will get the job if the top 2 people say no.
Very unfortunate, if that ends up being the case. Even if it's an internal hire, it should still be a national search deciding that Red is the best candidate. Color me skeptical.

I don't get the infatuation some have with Paulus. He hasn't been much better than the previous Niagara coach(Chris Casey) that got fired.
To be fair, dude is losing guys every year and still competitive, while coaching in probably the worst place to recruit in the country for a team that has no history, no facilities, and really no reason for anyone to go there. I go to a bunch of games there, you can see what he’s trying to do, his players play for him, just don’t have the talent. I think he’d do very well at a higher level job.

That said, I want a national search, if paulus was out next coach I wouldn’t hate it, would rather have that than Gmac.

To be fair, dude is losing guys every year and still competitive, while coaching in probably the worst place to recruit in the country for a team that has no history, no facilities, and really no reason for anyone to go there. I go to a bunch of games there, you can see what he’s trying to do, his players play for him, just don’t have the talent. I think he’d do very well at a higher level job.

That said, I want a national search, if paulus was out next coach I wouldn’t hate it, would rather have that than Gmac.
Fair enough. Joe Mihalich took them to the tournament twice and won the regular season title 3 times though earlier last decade.

Watch it now. My parents were there in the Calvin Murphy years. They’d bristle at the idea of no history.

Ancient history, sure.

Beilein
Definitely the biggest reach of the group, but I keep hearing his name on this board and elsewhere. I'm intrigued.
At Niagara, Beilein the Younger could have been on a fast track to the Syracuse job but he messed up.

I would like to see a ranked list of attributes, from the experts, that a new coach needs to be successful here.

Is X’s and O’s #1? Or is recruiting #1?
Is pandering to the whims of 18 yo’s #1?
Is having the boosters with the biggest wallets #1?
I’m not going to pretend to know what it is.

Beilein

At Niagara, Beilein the Younger could have been on a fast track to the Syracuse job but he messed up.
Beilein never actually coached a game there I believe.

I would like to see a ranked list of attributes, from the experts, that a new coach needs to be successful here.

Recruiting is #1.

I think X's and O's along with recruiting are equally important.

I think we could potentially get away with someone who was not particularly strong X's and O's wise if they brought in an assistant with HC experience.

I also think having some kind of political acumen when dealing with donors and fans is somewhat important, but not as much as the previous two as long as the AD takes charge there. That's why I think Hop still has a chance here even though he's not my first choice.

If Red (or anyone) gets the job and keeps the 2-3, I probably won't watch SU basketball any more. I mean that. It's already a distant second for me behind football.
This is weird to me because outside of being a nice guy I'm not sure what else Dino is adding to football program excitement. His game management drives me nuts.