JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB is the man. But let's rank your choice of potential successors

I would like to see a ranked list of attributes, from the experts, that a new coach needs to be successful here.

Is X’s and O’s #1? Or is recruiting #1?
Is pandering to the whims of 18 yo’s #1?
Is having the boosters with the biggest wallets #1?
I’m not going to pretend to know what it is.
You have to do them all very well.
(For the love of me I can’t figure out why I am back, and posting again).

1st calls - Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Billy Donovan. I think that is a massive mistake if you don’t at least pick up the phone and call these 3 coaches. Worst case and most likely they say no. But you just don’t know until they say thank you, but no. And then you can go on with your search. But those three individuals need to be the first 3 phone calls you make. Again, I understand there is probably a less than 5% chance either would be intrigued. But gauging interest literally does nothing negative to Syracuse. They at least need to receive a phone call. Jay could be regretting his decision now that he had a year off. Brad wants to coach. I know that for a fact. He doesn’t just like being the president (this is not opinion). Billy Donovan very well could be fired after this year.

2nd calls- Oats and Beard. These 2 are a little more controversial. Oats just signed a contract extension and the issues this past week probably crosses him off the list. Beard charges were dropped and currently is a “free agent”. We don’t know what happened there. No one knows what happened except for him and his girlfriend. I think you still have to call and have a sit down with him. Discuss the situation and talk to him about his personal well being and outlook. Things happen, and as much as everyone wants to believe they know what happened, they do not.

3rd calls - Eric Musslaman. Guy has been incredible wherever he has gone. Turns teams around quickly and has very good success in March. I think Syracuse is a much better place than Arkansas. 202-71, only 2 seasons with double digit losses and both were in his first years at Utah state and Arkansas respectively. Just brought in the number 2 recruiting class to Arkansas. Made the elite 8 2 years in a row.

After those 3 calls, I think you then look around at the individuals with Syracuse connections such as Hart, Paulus, Red, Hopkins, Langley (same area). I don’t want a current assistant. My order of preference is Hart, Langley, Paulus, Hop, Red in that order. Hopkins has not been good. But he also left his recruiting connections and moved to the polar opposite coast.
None of them will even take the call. Zero chance. Oats, Beard and Musselman are all non starters.

I think he would bring some excitement with bigger name recruits. But he had a ton of huge recruits at Zona but what did he do with them? Never got past Elite 8. Now I would love an Elite 8 but JB went further with less talent. Miller also has two first round exits one by Wichita State and one blowout by Buffalo.
I think the new guy there Lloyd is doing just as good as Miller. His last 3 years at Zona was not good.

With that being said I don’t think Wildhack touches him with a ten foot pole. Just my opinion. Don’t mean to burst your bromance bubble.
He didn’t get those recruits, Richardson did and he’s long gone.

I would like to see a ranked list of attributes, from the experts, that a new coach needs to be successful here.

Is X’s and O’s #1? Or is recruiting #1?
Is pandering to the whims of 18 yo’s #1?
Is having the boosters with the biggest wallets #1?
I’m not going to pretend to know what it is.
You have to do them all very well.

Fair enough. Joe Mihalich took them to the tournament twice and won the regular season title 3 times though earlier last decade.
Joe Mihalich is a legit coach and a fantastic human being.

In no particular order these are the guys I Interview for the job that are somewhat realistic in my opinion.

Matt Langel - Colgate HC
John Becker - Vermont HC
Mike Hopkins - Washington HC
Red Autry - Syracuse Asst
Brian Dutcher - SDSU HC
Pat Kelsey - Charleston HC
Grant McCasland - North Texas HC
Ed Cooley - Providence HC
Chris Beard - Former Texas HC
Bryan Hodgson - Alabama Asst
Jason Hart - GLeague Ignite HC

Also gauge the interest of any NBA guys.
Langel - Yes.
Becker - No. weird dude.
Hopkins - Yes.
Autry - If nobody else but short leash.
Dutcher/McCasland/Hodgson - No idea.
Kelsey - No - a clown. Follow his social account.
Cooley - Yes but wouldn’t leave Providence IMO
Beard - Probably not due to off court stuff but he has been absolved. As a coach, yes.
Hart - So hard to make an opinion. Want to give benefit of the doubt but I highly doubt he comes back to make a career in CNY.

So really, only realistic ones that make sense are probably Hop, Autry, Langel.

Langel - Yes.
Becket - No. weird dude.
Hopkins - Yes.
Autry - If nobody else but short leash.
Dutcher/McCasland/Hodgson - No idea.
Kelsey - No - a clown. Follow his social account.
Cooley - Yes but wouldn’t leave Providence IMO
Beard - Probably not due to off court stuff but he has been absolved. As a coach, yes.
Hart - So hard to make an opinion. Want to give benefit of the doubt but I highly doubt he comes back to make a career in CNY.

So really, only realistic ones that make sense are probably Hop, Autry, Langel.
Why in the world would you think Becker is a weird dude? I actually got to chat with him for a minute last night at the bar. And I’ve played hoops with him several times. I know lots of people who know him well and none have deemed him weirder than normal.

Why in the world would you think Becker is a weird dude? I actually got to chat with him for a minute last night at the bar. And I’ve played hoops with him several times. I know lots of people who know him well and none have deemed him weirder than normal.
I have heard many opposing coaches describe him as a very good coach but a strange guy. He also could have been scrutinized harder for the rape incident that happened if he was at a bigger program. Just going by what I have heard.

To be fair, dude is losing guys every year and still competitive, while coaching in probably the worst place to recruit in the country for a team that has no history, no facilities, and really no reason for anyone to go there. I go to a bunch of games there, you can see what he’s trying to do, his players play for him, just don’t have the talent. I think he’d do very well at a higher level job.

That said, I want a national search, if paulus was out next coach I wouldn’t hate it, would rather have that than Gmac.
I know the alums love the place, but as a campus, Niagara is a big yawn for me.

That's what I don't get. Outside of growing up here and being the Syracuse QB what makes him qualified?
Likely nothing.

These exercises tend to yield (a) names people are familiar with, (b) totally obscure names that wouldn't ever coach at SU, and (c) high profile names that wouldn't ever coach at SU.

I have no clue who will replace JB, but if I had to wager it'll be either Red, or someone who was barely mentioned here.

Jared Grasso
boy would that irk JB, you wouldn't see JB come back to the Dome or see any donations from him. For that matter, you might see that with anybody JB doesn’t approve of

I have heard many opposing coaches describe him as a very good coach but a strange guy. He also could have been scrutinized harder for the rape incident that happened if he was at a bigger program. Just going by what I have heard.
The rape stuff I’ll give you, but that kid is playing for the warriors and I doubt they would go there without a thorough background. I’ve never heard stuff like that about John though. Lonergan was a nut job.

Likely nothing.

These exercises tend to yield (a) names people are familiar with, (b) totally obscure names that wouldn't ever coach at SU, and (c) high profile names that wouldn't ever coach at SU.

I have no clue who will replace JB, but if I had to wager it'll be either Red, or someone who was barely mentioned here.

I think the most likely outcome will not be a big name head coach that everyone is familiar with or an internal candidate, but a mid-major / lower level coach who is young and perceived to be an up-and-comer.

JB's tenure has been extraordinary, and there will probably never be anyone like him again in the sport. None of us are happy with the way things are at present, but we have plenty of other threads about that. Instead of rehashing all of our frustrations, let's discuss some of the positive qualities of other potential coaches. I haven't been following things this year as closely as usual, but these names have captured my attention.

• Ben McCollum (NW Missouri State) looks like the Lance Leipold of NCAAMbball.
  • Greg Paulus (Niagara) likely needs no introduction here.
  • Sean Miller (Xavier) results speak for themselves; a lot of wild claims being made here against him that go well beyond the public story and conclusions (at least thus far) of law enforcement.
  • Jason Hart (G League Unite) SU alumnus that knows the current landscape as well as anyone, but can he coach and recruit at a national level?
  • Matt Langel (Colgate) Runs a winning program over in Hamilton and has... experience... boatracing P5 in-state rivals.
My top choice here would be Sean Miller based on experience and results (and pending any fallout from previous shenanigans), but pair any of the other guys with a top recruiter and I think the (near) future will be very bright.
Hart from your list but you need to add Speedy Claxton (Hofstra) to the prospective list.

Likely nothing.

More than nothing...played in the ACC for K, apprenticed at numerous programs (Thad Motta, Chris Mack), knows the landscape, went to Cuse, seems to be doing an ok job with not a lot to work with.

There's usually a candidate in these things that knocks it out of the park in the interview process. He might be that guy. Or, he might flop.

More than nothing...played in the ACC for K, apprenticed at numerous programs (Thad Motta, Chris Mack), knows the landscape, went to Cuse, seems to be doing an ok job with not a lot to work with.

There's usually a candidate in these things that knocks it out of the park in the interview process. He might be that guy. Or, he might flop.
Totally fair. If he has a legit resume then fine. If he’s a “name” because he played QB for us once… pass.

Nope

Not with a third place finish in the Am. East. Becker has a better shot. At least they’d play actual defense again.
Why has Becker not been hired by a high major yet? It should have happened 5 years ago.

Why has Becker not been hired by a high major yet? It should have happened 5 years ago.
No idea, but the rape allegations have held him back lately.

In no particular order these are the guys I Interview for the job that are somewhat realistic in my opinion.

Matt Langel - Colgate HC
John Becker - Vermont HC
Mike Hopkins - Washington HC
Red Autry - Syracuse Asst
Brian Dutcher - SDSU HC
Pat Kelsey - Charleston HC
Grant McCasland - North Texas HC
Ed Cooley - Providence HC
Chris Beard - Former Texas HC
Bryan Hodgson - Alabama Asst
Jason Hart - GLeague Ignite HC

Also gauge the interest of any NBA guys.
Chris Beard?