JB keynote speaker today at Lemoyne | Syracusefan.com

JB keynote speaker today at Lemoyne

20Plus

Some bullet points from his speech
He was late because he tore his calf muscle

Marek has lost 1 pound
He was the key reason to why they made a run late this year was his production. It was the only thing that improved.

He hinted players to play 30 to 32 minutes.

He hates Georgetown.

He joked about the rematch with Lemoyne.

The crack a lot of jokes and spoke highly about his experience with the Olympics.

I asked him how much buddy would play (because I thought he might make a joke about Julie) but instead he brought up Tyus Battle. He said he would’ve played a lot until battle decided to come back. Said he really doesn’t know yet.

Had a couple digs on the media and local sports writers for sure.

Spoke really highly of Brandon’s Bayers minutes against Michigan State

Attachments

• DB585874-28DE-4F48-9E1C-F1187EB3AE07.jpeg
    DB585874-28DE-4F48-9E1C-F1187EB3AE07.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 68F9FEFD-9528-4504-B4E2-F052EE902D53.jpeg
    68F9FEFD-9528-4504-B4E2-F052EE902D53.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69

Marek has lost 1 pound
He was the key reason to why they made a run late this year was his production. It was the only thing that improved.

He hates Georgetown.

The crack a lot of jokes and spoke highly about his experience with the Olympics.

I asked him how much buddy would play (because I thought he might make a joke about Julie) but instead he brought up Tyus Battle. He said he would’ve played a lot until battle decided to come back. Said he really doesn’t know yet.

I like the hint of 30-32 minutes.

I was also at this event. Didn't know JB is an angel investor. It was later learned his investments are in Syracuse campus housing, Hoffman hot dogs, and a local radio station. Not quite the technology portfolio and I don't think he heard any of the pitches.

- about local sports writers; "My good friend Bobby Knight once said all of us learn to write in the 2nd or 3rd grade. But most of us use our intelligence and go on to greater things."
- 28,000 fans in the stands can scream at him all they want and the ones at home can yell at their TVs. He doesn't listen to them. No one is trying to win as bad as him and no one is trying harder. Some times a play works and sometimes it doesn't.
- Marv Levy said if you start listening to the fans in the stands you will end up there with them.
- excited about the team. First time all players are returning in 20 years
- its a shame that the only thing that matters now is the tournament. He said they've been so bad in the regular season the last few years but good in the NCAA so he's starting to come around to this idea
- talked about last years team being mentally tough, great defensively, but "iffy" offensively and challenged on that end.
- his point guard made 2 of the dumbest fouls he's ever seen against Mich St but it led to his favorite moment of all last season. When Braedon Bayer came in and gave them 6 great minutes and won us the game. Said his block and the few other plays he made were incredible for a kid who got no meaningful minutes all season. Proud coaching moment.
- talked a bit about his time coaching the Olympic team.. players were so good all he had to do was clap and say good job. Mentioned Kobe, LeBron, Melo, Durant, Chris Paul

- aside from physical ability what do you look for in recruits? guys who are mentally tough. Said Gerry McNamara was a good example. 6 foot one white kid. Tough. Fearless. Made 6 threes in the first half of the national championship game. Not every kid is tough enough to do that.
- Kobe Bryant is an example of toughness. He was on the team after the US had lost for the first time in international play. He said LeBron, Melo, Paul were just babies and it was Kobe who took over and showed those young guys how to win.
- how do he and his players stay calm in pressure situations? He said everyone is used to it. He's been coaching for 43 years and has been in every situation. One of his sons has played over 100 games of AAU ball this summer alone. By the time they get to college they know how to play or pressure doesn't faze them.
- you missed on Jimmer Fredette what are your chances on Girard? JB - can't talk about that because it would be a violation but Jimmer was a Mormon, I think he ended up at the right school.

Last edited:
Marek has lost 1 pound

This is bad news, I hear he was supposed to gain 10-15 lbs.

Marek has lost 1 pound

He hates Georgetown.

I think he was joking. He mentioned his weight right after he said this was the first time he's pronounced Marek Dolezaj correctly.
He was in a joking mood but I think he is honest to a fault and I think it’s a message he did not gain weight. Jim is very calculated. If you look at the video on Twitter he looks the same weight wise.

He was in a joking mood but I think he is honest to a fault and I think it’s a message he did not gain weight. Jim is very calculated. If you look at the video on Twitter he looks the same weight wise.
I ran into Marek a couple of weeks ago. He looks the same as last year. Definitely has not gained any weight.

Growing an inch while losing weight reminds me of Willie Wanka and the Chocolate Factory where a kid gets stretched out like taffy.

Marek has lost 1 pound

This is bad news, I hear he was supposed to gain 10-15 lbs.

I don’t have a problem with that. His style of play is sneaky and slinky and he maneuvers himself into position with savvy and quickness. His style of play compliments all the players. We have Sidbe healthy now and Marek can resume his normal position. He also can take a licking and keep on ticking. He’s fine for now playing college ball.

I love that he said no one is trying as bad as him to win and no one is working harder. 28,000 screaming fans doesn’t faze him because he knows he is giving it his all.

Priceless.

He looks heavier to me ...
I shook his hand and even his hand felt skinny. Real nice kid. One of the PS writers should do a story on Marek and his weight. What he likes to eat, how his diet adjusted moving to the US, what his goals are in this area (if he has any). Maybe touch base on his weight training, how he likes it and how it is going. And of course, an update from the perspective of his gf. Does she want him to get bulkier? Is she making him protein shakes?

I think he said he wasn’t going to do any weight training back home but was planning to hit them hard once he returned to campus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom