JB on BJ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB on BJ

BJ missed a shot the first time he touched the ball, then compounded that mistake by not challenging a three defensively. Bench city after that.
Agreed. He needs to let the game to him on offense and not force things, when he doesn't do that he so much better.

I think you may need to re-watch the tape. He may have been serviceable, but he was by no means excellent.

Southerland was outstanding in his junior and senior seasons. defense is a lot more than blocks, steals and rebounds - take a look at the advanced stats; his defensive rating numbers are excellent for 3 of his 4 years. While I think Wes was the best forward defender we've had since the zone became the primary defense, Dirty actually has the two best defensive ratings of any forward in that era. Along with MCW, Roc & BMK, he anchored the defense that took the team to the Final Four in 2013.

Last edited:
Southerland was outstanding in his junior and senior seasons. defense is a lot more than blocks, steals and rebounds - take a look at the advanced stats; his defensive rating numbers are excellent for 3 of his 4 years. While I think Wes was the best forward defender we've had since the zone became the primary defense, Dirty actually has the two best defensive ratings of any forward in that era. Along with MCW, Roc & BMK, he anchored the defense that took the team to the Final Four in 2013.

MCW was a freak defensively. Christmas and Baye are two of the better centers we have had in a long time in the middle.

Please rewatch the film and let's not have revisionist history. Southerland was a very good shooter and a threat offensively, but the reason he didn't see more minutes during his first 3 years was because of his lack of defense. He averaged 16 minutes a game as a junior. And started 11 in his career. Because of his defense.

And his senior season he was passable. He was not great by any stretch. I'm not sure what some of you watch sometimes. The only reason someone would think Southerland was a good defender was because he had blocked shots and steals.

MCW was a freak defensively. Christmas and Baye are two of the better centers we have had in a long time in the middle.

Please rewatch the film and let's not have revisionist history. Southerland was a very good shooter and a threat offensively, but the reason he didn't see more minutes during his first 3 years was because of his lack of defense. He averaged 16 minutes a game as a junior. And started 11 in his career. Because of his defense.

And his senior season he was passable. He was not great by any stretch. I'm not sure what some of you watch sometimes. The only reason someone would think Southerland was a good defender was because he had blocked shots and steals.
I know what I saw, and I always stated on the forum at the time that he was our best forward defender. and now go look at the data; the numbers I don't lie

I know what I saw, and I always stated on the forum at the time that he was our best forward defender. and now go look at the data; the numbers I don't lie

And neither does the fact he barely played before his senior year - and even then only started 11 games.

Again, I like Southerland and he was a huge part of what we did his senior year. But the fact he didn't play during his first three years had nothing to do with his offense. That's pretty much a known fact.

And neither does the fact he barely played before his senior year - and even then only started 11 games.

Again, I like Southerland and he was a huge part of what we did his senior year. But the fact he didn't play during his first three years had nothing to do with his offense. That's pretty much a known fact.

"known fact?" He was the third forward in the rotation as a junior and played all 37 games. He was a critical piece on teams that went to back-to-back elite 8s.

I get it, you don't like him and you are not going to be moved off that position, but as the great man said - you are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts

"known fact?" He was the third forward in the rotation as a junior and played all 37 games. He was a critical piece on teams that went to back-to-back elite 8s.

I get it, you don't like him and you are not going to be moved off that position, but as the great man said - you are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts

I do like him. But he wasn't a great defender. I wouldn't even categorize him as a good defender. And I think those that know basketball and don't read statistics would agree.

I think you may need to re-watch the tape. He may have been serviceable, but he was by no means excellent.

He was good by the time he was a senior and made himself valuable not just for his shooting but his defense in tipping, deflecting stealing balls on opponents inbound plays. He was a real impact player on inbound plays, having the athleticism and innate ability to anticipate opponents passes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom