JB post game presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB post game presser

It was better the second half but it couldn't have gotten much worse than the first.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm guessing VA shot better than 40% from three and 50% overall in the second half.

I really wouldn't call anything the defense did today as good. Maybe it was average, or OK, but good, no way.
The commentators at the half said that Virginia scored 1.4 points per possession. Let that sink in a bit. That's pretty much saying they scored at will.

"Next year, we will have the athletes on the perimeter, the height up top and the big guy inside to be an elite level defense again.

I can't wait."

53039596.jpg

The zone can be serviceable without a good intimidating shot blocker in the middle (preferably with a one or two more on the baseline)
You pretty much described the 09-10 team with Onuaku, Wes, and Rick the Ruler.

Next year, we will have the athletes on the perimeter, the height up top and the big guy inside to be an elite level defense again.

I can't wait.

That's drawing a comparison to 2011-2, with one caveat - we will still not be a deep team. I'm afraid without the insane depth of that 11-12 squad, JB will only use trunk monkey in desperation when a game is almost out of reach. Everyone remembers the 30-1 regular season record... but there were several games where the "perfectly constructed" zone let inferior teams hang around. It was one of the few seasons I can remember in the zone era where JB would proactively roll out the trunk monkey to shake the game up a bit. The South Florida game at home is a good example of that. We feel behind by 20 points in the first half until trunk gorilla was unleashed and we effectively wiped out the deficit by halftime.

I guess what I'm saying is, an aggressive trunk monkey is the closest thing to a changeup that JB will ever consider, but many understate the importance of having that defib kit... even for teams that have the right personnel for his defense.

No. Chino sure isn't the answer

There is no answer with this team, but Chino can't do any worse on defense... and considering on offense, DC has no moves, sets the irrelevant pick 'n roll and is never a threat on the roll... plus every game, DC finds ways to miss easy layups... so what are we really losing with Chino out there? Use Chino's 5 fouls n make the opposing bigs earn it from the line.

Use Chino's 5 fouls n make the opposing bigs earn it from the line.

And sub in Chino sooner than later before Lydon has 3 and DC just picked up his 4th. Do it before the bonus so the opponent's bigs might miss the front end of 1-and-1s.

We only had 12 points in the paint the entire game while Virginia had 30 points in the paint. We and UVA shot overall almost even from 3. (43.3% vs 44.4%). Wow.

Despite UVA out rebounding us by 3, they only scored one more point than us on 2nd chance points.

Our issue is inside, our lack of an intimidating inside presence on defense but mainly no inside offensive threat leaving our guards (Mal is really a guard too) with all the pressure to score each time down the court. This is proven by the discrepancy in points in the paint. In the Duke game we had more balanced scoring with 26 points in the paint or 42% of our total points.(Tyler Roberson & Lydon with 16 of them)

Tonight we only scored 12 points or 18% of our offense in the paint ,only 6 points by our "big men". We took 12 more 3 pointers than UVA and still shot well from there( again over 43%) but only 8 buckets or a putrid 33.3% from inside the arc. We'll have to continue to rely on our guard play, 3 pointers, while praying that our big men develop some consistent offense/defense to help them somehow. The lack of a true point guard or a guard who creates shots for others and easy assists ( we only had 8 vs UVA's 18) heavily contributes to the issue.

We have 4 straight home games and supporting the team, getting them in the win column is crucial.

^^^^Great post.

44cuse

I guess what I'm saying is, an aggressive trunk monkey is the closest thing to a changeup that JB will ever consider, but many understate the importance of having that defib kit... even for teams that have the right personnel for his defense.

Just so I understand your meaning, when you say "trunk monkey" you are referring to the infamous trunk monkey commercials? And if so, what the heck are you talking about?

Just so I understand your meaning, when you say "trunk monkey" you are referring to the infamous trunk monkey commercials? And if so, what the heck are you talking about?
trunk monkey commercial was popular at a time when the JB press was occasionally useful at disrupting the opponents' rhythm and bailing us out of a pickle. The press is completely undisciplined and chaotic, much like the monkey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom