Jb was right | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jb was right

coach is a tough guy who isn't afraid to really make a bold statement. I agree with 99% of what he says but things change throughout the season.

We shot 35% against wisconsin and lost the game at the fouline in OT. Thats not shooting good and they are more then a anybody. Meanwhile we also were outrebounded 51 to 25 heck grab 3-4 more we probably win on that alone.

I will always give you a like for trusting 100% in the coaches words though townie :)

Our margin for error is very slim.

Believe it or not we had more 2nd chance opportunities then Gtown today. we had 16 offensive boards they had 14.
I still wonder if Obokoh could have helped some in the middle against wisconsin and gtown.

Obokoh doesn't play for a reason. He's not good enough to play over the current guys we have, if he was he'd play. He doesn't have an offensive game and I know people like to point out that he made a nice defensive play earlier in the season but that doesn't warrant him more playing time.

I'm assuming he practices against Lydon and Coleman. If he's getting beaten up inside by them then there is no reason for him to see the court. Maybe he'll improve in practice through the season but we're almost 2 and a half years into this. I don't think it's in the cards.

There is a problem when opponents get 6 hook shots in the low post in one half that easily. You need weight to keep them out of the low post some, maybe even at risk of Obokoh.

I agree hes not ready but that isn't just a hole or a big hole its a gigantic hole. I have no problem with obokoh getting burned 3-4 plays baseline in a 7 minute stretch if it keeps bigs away from the low post some.

We probably won't play a team as physical as gtown or wisconsin for awhile though.

There is a problem when opponents get 6 hook shots in the low post in one half that easily. You need weight to keep them out of the low post some, maybe even at risk of Obokoh.

I agree hes not ready but that isn't just a hole or a big hole its a gigantic hole. I have no problem with obokoh getting burned 3-4 plays baseline in a 7 minute stretch if it keeps bigs away from the low post some.

We probably won't play a team as physical as gtown or wisconsin for awhile though.

That Kid today looked like Shaq in his prime, we are going to make a lot of average bigs look good over the course of the season, unless we figure out something asap.

and wisconsin as well the first half lydon swatted his moves the second he sealed off lydon better for the hookshots and the hookshots became layups.

Lydon is going to get sealed off much easier then coleman and obokoh, he weights 205 of course obokoh isn't much better at 215.

Oh sure. Our temporary HC just headed of in a new direction by himself.

We've been down this road before. This business about you or anyone else strategizing the development of the team across the arc of the season don't fly. That's what you do in the off-season and in the pre-season. In the season, the idea is to play a game at a time and win a game at a time.

Coleman, is being brought along slowly because he has not played in such a long time. (I know this because that's what JB said)

I don't begrudge you guys having fun and playing General manager. But, please, don't expect to be taken seriously.

That's OK, we don't take your conference realignment predictions seriously.

That's OK, we don't take your conference realignment predictions seriously.

Based on what has occurred the B1G should have listened to me and not those MBA's who were pointing to the number of TV sets.

Oh sure. Our temporary HC just headed of in a new direction by himself.

We've been down this road before. This business about you or anyone else strategizing the development of the team across the arc of the season don't fly. That's what you do in the off-season and in the pre-season. In the season, the idea is to play a game at a time and win a game at a time.

Coleman, is being brought along slowly because he has not played in such a long time. (I know this because that's what JB said)

I don't begrudge you guys having fun and playing General manager. But, please, don't expect to be taken seriously.

What a bizarre take. JB also said that Kaleb Joseph improved more than any other player on the team this offseason. How'd that pan out?

JB says a lot of things. Some of which is hyperbole. If you'd paid closer attention to the guy that you're smarm-ily chastising us to pay attention to, you'd understand that.

He is hardly infallible, and it is utterly asinine to pretend that he is. What a sad day for critical thinking.

Last edited:
JB has 900+ wins

bpo57 has 0 wins. But has an opinion.

No offense, but are you suggesting he listen to you?

Listen Townie. I'm undefeated and JB isn't. :cool:

One can be an admirer of JB and still critique him when he has bad days like he did against Wisconsin. That was not his finest hour. By a long shot.

JB has 900+ wins

bpo57 has 0 wins. But has an opinion.

No offense, but are you suggesting he listen to you?

That's some scary 'thinking' right there. I first thought you were being facetious, but follow ups suggest otherwise.

Firstly, JB's statement that you seem to think is so 'wise' is actually the silliest, most obvious thing, maybe ever. If we don't make shots... Duh. That was barely worthy of being a soundbite.

Secondly, suggesting that the guy with 800 wins invariably and inherently and empirically and all that... has a more valid/accurate/correct opinion than the 'bystander' is just insanely myopic. For one thing, JB Himself has often changed his own course/mind. Case in point: I think Donna D recently is wrote that the team no longer practices man D. I think we used to do that, predominantly, even though we played zone in games. The rationalization may have been that those skills somehow translated to better zone performance. Somehow. Magically. Well, anyhow, apparently that has changed and we now practice exclusively zone. Which makes sense, given that we are never going to actually PLAY anything other than zone. But, hey, I suggested the former strategy was asinine years ago. I have zero wins.

Better than that, though... If JB's opinion is always better than that of the fan with Zero wins in your estimation, how do you reconcile that there is another coach with MORE wins than JB, who does things very differently from JB. There are other coaches with far more national championships and FF appearances that do things very differently than JB. Why wouldn't you weigh those 'opinions' as greater than JB's? If wins is your criteria for assessing validity.

And, on a game to game basis... If we lose a particular game. Weren't the opposing coach's opinions then 'better' than JB's? What is the basis for your complete and blind devotion to a set of thoughts that are entirely just opinions? WHICH CHANGE OVER TIME. And can't be compared to alternate thoughts because we can't play the same game/season twice. If JB were as God-level perfect as you insist, when did he become so? Because clearly, if he's perfect today, he wasn't two years ago. And if he's perfect today, then what was he when we actually won the NC? What was he when we went to the NITs? My sense is st you will rationalize it by explaining that JB's mind is so great, so advanced that whatever he decides, no matter the contradiction, is just the proper adaptation or course correction for the particular moment, and not a reversal or admission of 'error.' And a person who thinks like that would certainly think "if we don't make shots, we can't win" is a bit of genius.

That's some scary 'thinking' right there. I first thought you were being facetious, but follow ups suggest otherwise.

Firstly, JB's statement that you seem to think is so 'wise' is actually the silliest, most obvious thing, maybe ever. If we don't make shots... Duh. That was barely worthy of being a soundbite.

Secondly, suggesting that the guy with 800 wins invariably and inherently and empirically and all that... has a more valid/accurate/correct opinion than the 'bystander' is just insanely myopic. For one thing, JB Himself has often changed his own course/mind. Case in point: I think Donna D recently is wrote that the team no longer practices man D. I think we used to do that, predominantly, even though we played zone in games. The rationalization may have been that those skills somehow translated to better zone performance. Somehow. Magically. Well, anyhow, apparently that has changed and we now practice exclusively zone. Which makes sense, given that we are never going to actually PLAY anything other than zone. But, hey, I suggested the former strategy was asinine years ago. I have zero wins.

Better than that, though... If JB's opinion is always better than that of the fan with Zero wins in your estimation, how do you reconcile that there is another coach with MORE wins than JB, who does things very differently from JB. There are other coaches with far more national championships and FF appearances that do things very differently than JB. Why wouldn't you weigh those 'opinions' as greater than JB's? If wins is your criteria for assessing validity.

And, on a game to game basis... If we lose a particular game. Weren't the opposing coach's opinions then 'better' than JB's? What is the basis for your complete and blind devotion to a set of thoughts that are entirely just opinions? WHICH CHANGE OVER TIME. And can't be compared to alternate thoughts because we can't play the same game/season twice. If JB were as God-level perfect as you insist, when did he become so? Because clearly, if he's perfect today, he wasn't two years ago. And if he's perfect today, then what was he when we actually won the NC? What was he when we went to the NITs? My sense is st you will rationalize it by explaining that JB's mind is so great, so advanced that whatever he decides, no matter the contradiction, is just the proper adaptation or course correction for the particular moment, and not a reversal or admission of 'error.' And a person who thinks like that would certainly think "if we don't make shots, we can't win" is a bit of genius.

Sounds to me that you don't understand the "When we don't hit outside shots ..." statement It says that that's all this team can do effectively. Now outside shooting isn't the only way a team can score. So rather than being a silly statement what it actually does is give you JB's rather negative assessment of the other parts of this team's offensive strengths.

Your second statement is wacky. ("Secondly, suggesting that the guy with 800 wins invariably and inherently and empirically and all that... has a more valid/accurate/correct opinion than the 'bystander' is just insanely myopic."). That's exactly what I am saying. Your characterization of it as "insanely myopic" is your opinion.

I do get tired of the self-appointed experts on here who, when frustrated, mouth the same BS recommendations over and over again. No M2M defense. Too short a bench. No player development during the season. Recruiting players based on how they would fit in the Zone and not for offensive skills.

And there's no contradiction in learning, as JB has through the years.

As far as I'm concerned, JB IS SU basketball. If you don't like him , the zone, the players he recruits to fit his system, then one wonders why you are here. There are lots of other teams you could support.

What a bizarre take. JB also said that Kaleb Joseph improved more than any other player on the team this offseason. How'd that pan out?

JB says a lot of things. Some of which is hyperbole. If you'd paid closer attention to the guy that you're smarm-ily chastising us to pay attention to, you'd understand that.

He is hardly infallible, and it is utterly asinine to pretend that he is. What a sad day for critical thinking.

Once again, there's a lack of understanding of what's said.

Kaleb making major improvements does not automatically translate into "He's going to play a lot this year and make a major impact. What wasn't said is how he now stacks up against Gbinje.

Listen Townie. I'm undefeated and JB isn't. :cool:

One can be an admirer of JB and still critique him when he has bad days like he did against Wisconsin. That was not his finest hour. By a long shot.

You have the same amount of wins as a dead guy.

You have the same amount of wins as a dead guy.

But the travel basketball team that I used to coach beat Kevin Bannon's (former RU and Rider coach) team. ;) And he had Amir Carlisle (senior WR at ND) on that team.

Once again, there's a lack of understanding of what's said.

Kaleb making major improvements does not automatically translate into "He's going to play a lot this year and make a major impact. What wasn't said is how he now stacks up against Gbinje.

I see--so you vehemently admonish taking James Arthur Boeheim's quotes verbatim as gospel without question, except when its convenient to subjectively interpret them to rationalize something.

Unsubscribe.

I see--so you vehemently admonish taking James Arthur Boeheim's quotes verbatim as gospel without question, except when its convenient to subjectively interpret them to rationalize something.

Unsubscribe.
JB said that KJ got bigger and stronger. He also said he'd improved his shooting. He didn't say that he could run the point with any more consistency than last year.
Let's try and look at JB's statements as well as some of the posters in a logical manner and not spend a lot of time nit picking phrasing and semantics.

JB said that KJ got bigger and stronger. He also said he'd improved his shooting. He didn't say that he could run the point with any more consistency than last year.
Let's try and look at JB's statements as well as some of the posters in a logical manner and not spend a lot of time nit picking phrasing and semantics.

Seems clear to us. But not to others.

Here's what Boeheim actually said, instead of the vague interpretation you are alluding to:

“If Mike Gbinije had graduated, I’d be very comfortable with Kaleb starting at the point,” Boeheim said. “Very comfortable. Unlike last year when I was not that comfortable.”

Words mean things, realorange. It isn't "nit picking phrasing and semantics."

And Townie, the champion of taking everything Boeheim says at literal face value with no thought involved--shame on you for applying your interpretive bias to his comments.

I do get tired of the self-appointed experts on here who, when frustrated, mouth the same BS recommendations over and over again. No M2M defense. Too short a bench. No player development during the season. Recruiting players based on how they would fit in the Zone and not for offensive skills.

WE need to to go 2-1-2 zone with Lydon in the middle isn't it obvious?

Townie anytime you want to throw out a JB quote or vent for people thinking the coaches haven't thought of everything we do, go for it! :)

Last edited:
Here's what Boeheim actually said, instead of the vague interpretation you are alluding to:

“If Mike Gbinije had graduated, I’d be very comfortable with Kaleb starting at the point,” Boeheim said. “Very comfortable. Unlike last year when I was not that comfortable.”

Words mean things, realorange. It isn't "nit picking phrasing and semantics."

And Townie, the champion of taking everything Boeheim says at literal face value with no thought involved--shame on you for applying your interpretive bias to his comments.
Well, Dasher recently said that JB had lost confidence in KJ. Who's right?

This from the same poster who said that JB had lost confidence in KJ.

Bunk. I've been one of the strongest proponents of KJ on this forum, even in the face of him not playing well thus far. Ask Captain Tuttle.

So in general, you are completely barking up the wrong tree with that accusation. I HAVE said that KJ is running out of time to show the alleged improvement and carve out his niche in the rotation, and that if he continues to play poorly, and could lose PT to Howard--which seems accurate, given what we saw on Saturday.

Bunk. I've been one of the strongest proponents of KJ on this forum, even in the face of him not playing well thus far. Ask Captain Tuttle.

So in general, you are completely barking up the wrong tree with that accusation. I HAVE said that KJ is running out of time to show the alleged improvement and carve out his niche in the rotation, and that if he continues to play poorly, and could lose PT to Howard--which seems accurate, given what we saw on Saturday.

RF Has been a HUGE supporter of KJO.
I like the idea of KJO going to sg and howard running the point. Liked it a month ago and still do.
We can use shooters off the dribble, and KJO is better set then Cooney pulling up after a left right dribble.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Kale knock down 4-5 threes in a game this year.

:You must have been on top of my post. I edited it within a minute of the original if you will please look. Sorry for the wrong attribute.

:You must have been on top of my post. I edited it within a minute of the original if you will please look. Sorry for the wrong attribute.

No problem whatsoever.

LGO!!!

Believe it or not we had more 2nd chance opportunities then Gtown today. we had 16 offensive boards they had 14.
I still wonder if Obokoh could have helped some in the middle against wisconsin and gtown.

That's also because we missed a lot more shots than they did. Can't get an offensive rebound on a made shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom