JB's postgame analysis... | Syracusefan.com

JB's postgame analysis...

bpo57

Living Legend
was sorta strange last night.

One reporter brought up rebounding and JB said the rebounding was fine. Really? He might want to watch the game tape. L'ville was killing us on their offensive boards last night, particularly in some crucial spots. TL and TT each had only one offensive rebound themselves.

Another reporter asked about the final sequence and JB said it was a good play. That's debatable. Let's ask a guy to drive into the lane when he has had minimal success doing so in the previous 45 minutes. The end of the Clemson game was a well designed play because it had multiple options. This one last night? Not so much.

In the presser JB was effusive in his praise of White and Howard while killing TR (couldn't even bring himself to mention his name). Meanwhile White had a miserable shooting night (that happens) but also threw a couple of cross court passes that were mind boggling for their stupidity. Howard had a few obligatory TOs with one kneecapping pass and another bad pass on a potential fast break.

I don't think any of White or Howard's mistakes needed to be pointed out but the same stands for TR. You win as a team and you lose as a team. You'd think after 40 years that JB would have that figured out by now.

Lots of comedic errors that just can't be happening in Feb. White can't be throwing those passes but Gillon/Howard need to show and cut to the ball better. It's either one of the following or both because this stuff happens every game. Fatigue or they aren't coached these fundamentals.

i gotta say in game ending situations i hate the play call being gillon driving into the lane, or really anyone for that matter. too many bad things can happen. can turn it over, get your shot block, charge, etc. give me an outside shot at the buzzer over driving in the lane. refs swallow their whistle in those situations and usually something bad happens.

Lots of comedic errors that just can't be happening in Feb. White can't be throwing those passes but Gillon/Howard need to show and cut to the ball better. It's either one of the following or both because this stuff happens every game. Fatigue or they aren't coached these fundamentals.

Noticed JB yelling at Frank when White threw the ball to the other team. Just mind boggling sometimes.

If Frank went hard after that pass, he fouls the defender and JB yells at him. Can't win for trying sometimes.

Noticed JB yelling at Frank when White threw the ball to the other team. Just mind boggling sometimes.

If Frank went hard after that pass, he fouls the defender and JB yells at him. Can't win for trying sometimes.

JB could've been yelling at Frank for something that happened on the other end of the court. He often does that.

JB could've been yelling at Frank for something that happened on the other end of the court. He often does that.

Yup, I've even noticed him doing it when Frank has been sitting the whole game. Just looks over at Frank sitting there and yells at him.

Just kidding, sort of.

On that play, (edit) it appeared he was yelling at Frank for not coming to the ball. Regardless of the fact it wouldn't have changed anything. It was a terrible, lazy pass that should never have been attempted.

Last edited:
Rebounding was fine is a classic line.

Not sure if you guys have picked up on this yet, but Jimmy says a bunch of absolute nonsense in his pressers.

Yep, he was understandably salty after a winnable loss. He often times uses those PC to confront reporters, and has never shied away from being argumentative just for the sake of it, reality be damned. My own unofficial assessment is you take about 50% of what he says seriously when he is in that mode.

Haha I saw that too. Unreal.

was sorta strange last night.

One reporter brought up rebounding and JB said the rebounding was fine. Really? He might want to watch the game tape. L'ville was killing us on their offensive boards last night, particularly in some crucial spots. TL and TT each had only one offensive rebound themselves.

Another reporter asked about the final sequence and JB said it was a good play. That's debatable. Let's ask a guy to drive into the lane when he has had minimal success doing so in the previous 45 minutes. The end of the Clemson game was a well designed play because it had multiple options. This one last night? Not so much.

In the presser JB was effusive in his praise of White and Howard while killing TR (couldn't even bring himself to mention his name). Meanwhile White had a miserable shooting night (that happens) but also threw a couple of cross court passes that were mind boggling for their stupidity. Howard had a few obligatory TOs with one kneecapping pass and another bad pass on a potential fast break.

I don't think any of White or Howard's mistakes needed to be pointed out but the same stands for TR. You win as a team and you lose as a team. You'd think after 40 years that JB would have that figured out by now.
JB clearly wants to control the narrative, in his mind he is the leading authority, which makes sense. He is. And his narrative last night in the presser was clearly that his team played with a ton of heart. To say they got man hadled on the boards kind of goes against that narrative, so like a veteran he doesnt go there...imo

And to say Whites shot was a bad shot would infer White didnt listen to JB at crunch time, he aint going there either. Had nothing but tremendous praise for AW last night.

Imo these pressers are quite often like watching Jim Cramer on cnbc, ie they are more about entertainment than they are about true instruction...

Yup, I've even noticed him doing it when Frank has been sitting the whole game. Just looks over at Frank sitting there and yells at him.

Just kidding, sort of.

On that play, (edit) it appeared he was yelling at Frank for not coming to the ball. Regardless of the fact it wouldn't have changed anything. It was a terrible, lazy pass that should never have been attempted.

It wasn't about effort. The pass wouldn't have been thrown if Frank was in position. He needs to be available as an outlet.

It wasn't about effort. The pass wouldn't have been thrown if Frank was in position. He needs to be available as an outlet.
So now it's Frank's fault when someone else picks up their dribble prematurely.

So now it's Frank's fault when someone else picks up their dribble prematurely.
There's no denying that JB blames his whipping boys for everything but in this case, he might have been right that Frank screwed up. Not as bad as AW but even so.

Two different times last night Lydon gave the ball away on a sloppy outlet pass. That to me is so discouraging. To shut them down from scoring, get the rebound and throw the ball away. Really hurts. Just one point any where in regulation and no OT. Another thing that is bonkers is that 3 games in a row we have fouled a player with 2 or less seconds on the clock at the end of the first half. We are more than 75% through the season and still making first week mistakes. I do not know if it is poor coaching or players without their head 100% in the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom