JB's Postgame Presser | Notre Dame | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Postgame Presser | Notre Dame

The players played great. I wish Coach Boeheim would stop running a one trick pony defense and mix things up beyond pressing when we are down double digits.

The zone actually helped the opponent yesterday and that is a problem. Coach Boeheim can and should be able to mix things up beyond just a press so teams who have prepared for our zone exclusively and are conference opponents familiar with the zone can be confused.

Yesterday wasn’t a game to praise the in-game genius of Coach Boeheim it was a game to praise the patience and development of the players by the staff and players themselves.

The zone exclusive defense besides pressing is a major problem and why can’t even people who aren’t as frustrated as a big portion of the fanbase just admit that.
That’s not it. JB isn’t going to change. Think of the all the words you’d save if you could concede that.

That’s not it. JB isn’t going to change. Think of the all the words you’d save if you could concede that.
If Coach isn’t willingly to change then fans shouldn’t get questioned for their lack of support if they choose to withhold it. Or fans displeased shouldn’t be quiet and in fact should be louder.

People can be stubborn you just don’t stay quiet about it. If what you are saying is correct then the coach could stop gaslighting fans and other fans can stop saying that fans can’t question Coach. If he isn’t willingly to change then that doesn’t make him always right.

Bulldog04 and CuseMan4 you guys notice how JB phrases the whole “this is why I coached this season” comment? Almost came across as he owed it to these recruits….but sounded a little foreboding…
I say this with no inside knowledge but I am convinced this is his last year. I really think he wanted to walk away at the end of last year but couldn’t with how the team performed.

If Coach isn’t willingly to change then fans shouldn’t get questioned for their lack of support if they choose to withhold it. Or fans displeased shouldn’t be quiet and in fact should be louder.

People can be stubborn you just don’t stay quiet about it. If what you are saying is correct then the coach could stop gaslighting fans and other fans can stop saying that fans can’t question Coach. If he isn’t willingly to change then that doesn’t make him always right.
The zone gets better and better as the season goes on as the players get more instinctual and faster on their rotations.

The players played great. I wish Coach Boeheim would stop running a one trick pony defense and mix things up beyond pressing when we are down double digits.

The zone actually helped the opponent yesterday and that is a problem. Coach Boeheim can and should be able to mix things up beyond just a press so teams who have prepared for our zone exclusively and are conference opponents familiar with the zone can be confused.

Yesterday wasn’t a game to praise the in-game genius of Coach Boeheim it was a game to praise the patience and development of the players by the staff and players themselves.

The zone exclusive defense besides pressing is a major problem and why can’t even people who aren’t as frustrated as a big portion of the fanbase just admit that.
For many years I would have liked to have JB switch up defenses but then I recently started thinking about those complaints. There are many coaches at every level who are man 2 man coaches that will not ever switch to zone… I don’t think many of those fans complain about those teams switching, cause that’s the coaches main defense… Bennett at Virginia is a devout Pack line man 2 man guy… Cal at KY is more up the line man, they don’t switch. Zone is JBs defense and he switches by making adjustments in it, so why must he go man?

I say this with no inside knowledge but I am convinced this is his last year. I really think he wanted to walk away at the end of last year but couldn’t with how the team performed.
And if so he should at least announce before the last game. That place deserves to be filled with 30k regardless of our record.

For many years I would have liked to have JB switch up defenses but then I recently started thinking about those complaints. There are many coaches at every level who are man 2 man coaches that will not ever switch to zone… I don’t think many of those fans complain about those teams switching, cause that’s the coaches main defense… Bennett at Virginia is a devout Pack line man 2 man guy… Cal at KY is more up the line man, they don’t switch. Zone is JBs defense and he switches by making adjustments in it, so why must he go man?
Kentucky has gone zone at times under Cal.
Kansas has gone zone at times under Self.
Duke has gone zone at times under K. Dean Smith had a 221 zone he would use. Nobody wants to Coach to give up the zone completely.

It’s simply not true that we can’t adjust and if only for a few possessions just a switch momentum should we do it. Notre Dame is a team that the zone helped. Those type of teams we should do it more against.

That is called adjusting. Very few if any teams would go thru the stretch we have had and not try to mix in a few adjustments.
We are like a wine that is just a new year but make it the same way when the 2013 vintage you could use the same ingredients but the 2022 model you might just want tweak a little. You don’t have change a lot just small tweaks when necessary.

Those fans absolutely discuss playing diff defenses

Yea, many of us would never consider not supporting the program. That doesn’t help anyone.

The zone gets better and better as the season goes on as the players get more instinctual and faster on their rotations.
I don’t question using the zone. You are completely missing the point. When it’s not a good matchup or the opponent is being helped by us sitting zone then adjust and make the opponent uncomfortable.

It’s what 99% of coaches do.
Sitting in the zone and the only pressing when down double digits shouldn’t be all we do.
If we were 90% zone and 10% man to man when needed it would help the team. The zone would still improve.

Yea, many of us would never consider not supporting the program. That doesn’t help anyone.
I support it as well but Coach can’t question attendance is my point. If people are frustrated they can watch the game on TV and support the team as well.

You can question him all you want. You can be as loud as you want. Just recognize it won’t change anything.

Jessie Edwards was interviewed on the court after the game and said JB, "is in the Hall of Fame for a reason," when asked about the game. He seems to know more about his coach than the "experts" on this site. He changed the tempo of the game with the press and used his improved (coached up) freshman, (at one point was 4 freshman and Jessie), in a dramatic comeback win.

JB still knows more about the game and coaching than most in the game. We are fortunate to have him and I will support him until he shows signs of dementia. Hell, Noam Chomsky is 94 years old and still makes more sense to me than journalists half his age.

Attachments

• freshmen-blue-world1.jpg
    freshmen-blue-world1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 29
I'm coming in to town for that game because it's either this year or next year. I don't want to find out after the fact that I missed JB's last game.

Yeah, a bunch of my fraternity brothers & myself planned to attend this game, long before it was announced that it was also to honor Hak & GMac.

I mentioned to them at that time, that there was a non-zero probability that may end up being JAB’s last Dome game.

Glad we’re going to be there, regardless.

Bulldog04 and CuseMan4 you guys notice how JB phrases the whole “this is why I coached this season” comment? Almost came across as he owed it to these recruits….but sounded a little foreboding…
I thought the same thing. It sounded like he didn’t want to have one of his assistants have to coach a very young team. He wanted to bring them along to get them ready for next year.

It’s really frustrating/disheartening watching us willingly play to the strengths of the other team for most of the game.
gets better when you play teams that can’t shoot too - unfortunately there’s less of them around these days.

Good ball movement and shooting will beat it every time regardless of how good the rotations are, if the other team has 4-5 shooters out there.

Waiting until you’re down 12 with under 10 to go is the perfect time to speed the tempo up! Can’t possibly do it any sooner! Gotta get their hopes up first, so you can pull the rug out!

Yes, that's the perfect time to speed the tempo up. That's how the press works. It changes the tempo, but it's not a long-term solution (unless you're generating a bunch of turnovers, which we weren't). If you bring it out too early then you give the team time to adjust to the new tempo. You don't want to do that when there's still 15 minutes to go in the game.

Kentucky has gone zone at times under Cal.
Kansas has gone zone at times under Self.
Duke has gone zone at times under K. Dean Smith had a 221 zone he would use. Nobody wants to Coach to give up the zone completely.

It’s simply not true that we can’t adjust and if only for a few possessions just a switch momentum should we do it. Notre Dame is a team that the zone helped. Those type of teams we should do it more against.

That is called adjusting. Very few if any teams would go thru the stretch we have had and not try to mix in a few adjustments.
We are like a wine that is just a new year but make it the same way when the 2013 vintage you could use the same ingredients but the 2022 model you might just want tweak a little. You don’t have change a lot just small tweaks when necessary.
JB does tweak it and make adjustments and we also have a change up by using the press. Yes we don’t play man . not gonna happen . Over 1000 wins and Final Four runs and a championship with playing zone … It’s what he does

JB does tweak it and make adjustments and we also have a change up by using the press. Yes we don’t play man . not gonna happen . Over 1000 wins and Final Four runs and a championship with playing zone … It’s what he does

He literally didn’t go to 100% zone until the 2010 preseason L to LeMoyne.

It’s ‘only’ been the past dozen years, out of his 45+, that Cuse has played 100% zone.
(Not counting when we’ve pressed).

tl/dr- the vast majority of his 1,000+ wins came with teams that did NOT play exclusively 2-3 zone.

PS - watch the 6OT’s game in ‘08.
We played plenty o M2M in that one.

Last edited:
He literally didn’t go to 100% zone until the 2010 preseason L to LeMoyne.

It’s ‘only’ been the past dozen years, out of his 45+, that Cuse has played 100% zone.
(Not counting when we’ve pressed).

tl/dr- the vast majority of his 1,000+ wins came with teams that did NOT play exclusively 2-3 zone.

PS - watch the 6OT’s game in ‘08.
We played plenty o M2M in that one.
I know he played Man at one point but doesn't now.. JB is gonna do what he does ..Why do you think he plays zone.. Just curious why people think... They play zone tp play the percentages on opponents 3 pt shooting but mainly an offense tactic to help get out in transition with guards up top and basically leaked out already when the shot goes up for easier transition, but they need forwards to rebound as we know. The last few years have not been supportive of that with our non athletic team. This years team is starting to take advantage of that more but still needs work.. I do wish Judah would rebound down more and help on Def boards to blow out with it. I think Taylor will be good at that at the top of the zone next year. Things are improving. This isn't last couple years. Ceiling is higher. They are improving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom