JB's Presser after BC | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

I've seen a lot of different attitudes and vibes from JB in my decades of following SU hoops. Beleaguered isn't a way I remember describing him too often. Yes, he's been beleaguered during games when a player does something stupid but never about the state of one of his teams.

He clearly has no answers. He looks tired. Spent. Done. I guess JB will be back next year; he's not a quitter. That said, this is troubling. He's lost this team and he knows it.

BC is a team where their 2 starting guards are their main scorers. Yet they had a ton of open looks where there's no defender within 3-4 feet of them. The entire game. It's been that way in many games this year. Don't understand how our guards continually are so far off the other team's top shooters. What is Howard especially thinking?

BC is a team where their 2 starting guards are their main scorers. Yet they had a ton of open looks where there's no defender within 3-4 feet of them. The entire game. It's been that way in many games this year. Don't understand how our guards continually are so far off the other team's top shooters. What is Howard especially thinking?

There's AlWAYS tons of open looks against the zone. It's just that normally you have to work hard to get them and the clock works against you, and those open shots are much harder to make. Once you let dudes get in a rhythm, they can hit from 24 feet easily at that level

I've seen a lot of different attitudes and vibes from JB in my decades of following SU hoops. Beleaguered isn't a way I remember describing him too often. Yes, he's been beleaguered during games when a player does something stupid but never about the state of one of his teams.

He clearly has no answers. He looks tired. Spent. Done. I guess JB will be back next year; he's not a quitter. That said, this is troubling. He's lost this team and he knows it.
This is a team that has won it's eight wins by an average of over 29 points per game. And yet none of that success has carried over into any of it's losses. I've never seen any team (not just Cuse) that has looked so good in their wins and looked absolutely pitiful in all of it's losses. As much as I didn't think I would see a worse defensive performance than I saw vs St. Johns, less than two weeks later we give up 96 points vs BC. I don't need to listen to the press conference to feel JAB's woes.

He emphasized how the players, the guards in particular, aren't grasping the zone.

But anyone know how many teams only play the zone nowadays? Not many, I'm sure.

The zone can't be your only defense in today's game. Too many good shooters. The game has changed.

He emphasized how the players, the guards in particular, aren't grasping the zone.

The zone can't be your only defense in today's game. Too many good shooters. The game has changed.
THIS

THIS

THIS

Especially in the ACC where every team has "good" basketball players and great coaches.

By "good", I don't mean elite athletes.. I mean basketball players who can do the fundamentals - pass, dribble and shoot. Tough to 24/7 zone that.

The guards rely on the forwards to make help plays contesting those open threes as well. And lydon and white are just not good on those rotations either.

The zone isn't an effective weapon anymore. Too many kids can shoot that shot well.

I thought Bing said/leaked that JB was going to leave earlier than expected. Which, to me, would have made sense—to not have one of those farewell, parade seasons like Kobe and jeter/Ortiz, where there's a bunch of attention and ceremonies and awards. I can totally see JB not wanting all that. But I think he also thought he'd be going out on a higher note with this squad, and I do believe he's got enough pride to want to keep going until the optics are better.

[UPDATE: found the article i was 'remembering' from last year—
After the ruling in March, Boeheim announced that he's retiring -- but only after three more seasons. Mike Hopkins, Boeheim's handpicked heir and his assistant for the past 20 years, will take his place. Boeheim says he might not stay all three years. NBA Hall of Famer Dave Bing, Boeheim's teammate and roommate at Syracuse, hints that Boeheim has already decided: "His plan is between friends, and that's all I can say."
From The Mag: The final act of Jim Boeheim

Conclusion? Dave Bing is like George Costanza with a secret.]

Last edited:
This is a team that has won it's eight wins by an average of over 29 points per game. And yet none of that success has carried over into any of it's losses. I've never seen any team (not just Cuse) that has looked so good in their wins and looked absolutely pitiful in all of it's losses. As much as I didn't think I would see a worse defensive performance than I saw vs St. Johns, less than two weeks later we give up 96 points vs BC. I don't need to listen to the press conference to feel JAB's woes.

With the exception of Monmouth, the teams we have bested sucked. Really sucked. I'm not saying BC is great but those teams we beat are awful, so of course we have looked good in those games. We got some confidence in those games because we had better players and athletes. Our confidence is gone. As soon as we recognize the name on the front of the jersey, we suck. I'm not saying we are scared to play those teams but we play like we are scared.

Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, and Virginia all lost yesterday.

Don't they all play m2m?

You'd think that m2m teams were undefeated since Naismith invented the game.

If good m2m teams can lose, why does anyone think we'll have success.

I've never bought into the notion of "we don't have personnel to play m2m". Nonsense. It's the only defense you play when you start playing the game. Zone is always the less-intuitive of the two concepts.

I wouldn't say a zone is a defense that can't be successful. It works when we have personnel who are capable of playing it. Sadly, this season we don't. And I agree that our inability to play any other kind of D aside from a 2-3 zone is pretty damning. Mostly good D is about focus and intensity. We have neither.

Don't know what they're thinking. They're often not even in the vicinity of the shooter. They get pulled in way to far on shots and passes and even fakes, and they can't recover. All guards including White. They get turned around or turned sideways.

I thought MORE teams were employing zones these days.
But, in ours, if the excuse is that the young/new players don't understand it yet, and it takes freshmen a couple of years to play it well... aren't you essentially capitulating that it is only in an uncommon set of circumstances where you will have a squad of players that are experienced/good enough with the zone to make it an effective weapon?

Don't know what they're thinking. They're often not even in the vicinity of the shooter. They get pulled in way to far on shots and passes and even fakes, and they can't recover. All guards including White. They get turned around or turned sideways.
We had a dude with pink hair banging wide open threes all game. PINK HAIR! If we can't locate a dude with pink hair then I don't know what to say.

I thought Bing said/leaked that JB was going to leave earlier than expected. Which, to me, would have made sense—to not have one of those farewell, parade seasons like Kobe and jeter/Ortiz, where there's a bunch of attention and ceremonies and awards. I can totally see JB not wanting all that. But I think he also thought he'd be going out on a higher note with this squad, and I do believe he's got enough pride to want to keep going until the optics are better.

Link to Bing stuff...?

But SU's zone is statistically better against 3 point shooting than the great majority of M2M teams.

Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake, and Virginia all lost yesterday.

Don't they all play m2m?

You'd think that m2m teams were undefeated since Naismith invented the game.

If good m2m teams can lose, why does anyone think we'll have success.

Did they get destroyed by a team that went 0-18 in conference?

The point is- try something! It can't be worse. And if it is... Well we lost by 33 to St. John's. What the f is there to lose? And we did play some man today.

Your argument is terrible.

I thought MORE teams were employing zones these days.
But, in ours, if the excuse is that the young/new players don't understand it yet, and it takes freshmen a couple of years to play it well... aren't you essentially capitulating that it is only in an uncommon set of circumstances where you will have a squad of players that are experienced/good enough with the zone to make it an effective weapon?
Teams are but not as a primary and only defense. Primary and only is our problem. It's antiquated and doesn't work in today's CBB where every team has a stretch 4 who can shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom