JB's Presser after BC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

I believe JB said DC's knees are sore.
Thanks, I missed that. He has seemingly tried to limit his minutes in some of these early season games, but has given him big minutes against a few better opponents. Let's hope JB hasn't squeezed the lemon dry because this team will desperately need Coleman's rebounding and post game if it is to compete successfully in the ACC.

I didn't mean to pin all the blame on the guards. No one on this team has played well defensively in the zone so far, save for a few brief stretches. The fact that there has been no apparent improvement is what is puzzling. I can understand White (athleticism), Gillon (size) and the freshman being subpar zone defenders, but I can't excuse the others.

Battle, White, and Gillon are our 3 worst defenders according to defensive rating.

Thompson, Lydon, and DC are our 3 best.

Every defensive metric you look at shows the guards are the worst defenders we have, granted the other guys haven't been special. Only Howard is respectable on D and he's probably our worst offensive player right now.

To be fair the most anti-zone team in the country Duke has implemented a zone for when their man to man breaks down.
UNC has the 1-3-1 when their m2m breaks down.
Hell even Calipari and Izzo have mixed in SOME zone.
I have no problem with the zone when we have the right personnel but this team doesn't have that personnel we should try to mix in a little m2m like we did in 08-09.
Right. This really isn't a zone vs. m2m debate. It's a "one defense only" vs. multiple defensive options argument. Most teams have the ability to mix things up when their primary defense isn't working. Even better, some teams pro-actively mix up their defensive schemes to keep the opponent off-balance. Every team should be able to play multiple defenses, even though one of them is probably going to work best. Nothing wrong with being primarily a zone team, but I think most people's frustration is the lack of other options and their suspicion (rightly or wrongly) that the lack of other options is due to coaching laziness and/or inflexibility.

Battle, White, and Gillon are our 3 worst defenders according to defensive rating.

Thompson, Lydon, and DC are our 3 best.

Every defensive metric you look at shows the guards are the worst defenders we have, granted the other guys haven't been special. Only Howard is respectable on D and he's probably our worst offensive player right now.

I wish I understood how they come up with those ratings. I watched Frank watch an on fire shooter square up and shoot while Frank stood inside the 3 line with his arms at his side during the last game.

I wish I understood how they come up with those ratings. I watched Frank watch an on fire shooter square up and shoot while Frank stood inside the 3 line with his arms at his side during the last game.

Points per possession given up while you're on the court. I think Frank has an attitude problem and doesn't always play hard, especially when he faces adversity.

Thanks, I missed that. He has seemingly tried to limit his minutes in some of these early season games, but has given him big minutes against a few better opponents. Let's hope JB hasn't squeezed the lemon dry because this team will desperately need Coleman's rebounding and post game if it is to compete successfully in the ACC.
I'm sure JB doesn't want to cripple DC either

And yes he will sacrifice a winning season for the GOOD HEALTH of his players because he loves them like a dad.

I'm sure JB doesn't want to cripple DC either

And yes he will sacrifice a winning season for the GOOD HEALTH of his players because he loves them like a dad.

Gerry McNamara?

lest we forget the ZONE and Carmelo were down 17 to Oklahoma st. before we released Mcneal and the trunk monkey. no monkey no title.

The zone befuddled #1 seed Oklahoma in the Elite 8...

Well, you're both 100% right. Wouldn't it be nice to have multiple defensive sets that we can adjust based on who the opponent is? It's an interesting concept.

This might blow your mind a bit... not every team in division 1 is constructed the same way or has the same strengths on offense.

This might blow your mind a bit... not every team in division 1 is constructed the same way or has the same strengths on offense.

what does this have to do with anything?

REALLY! I was responding to a post stating we don't win a national championship without the press...

Yeah, and you said the zone won us the game against Oklahoma. My point- different defensive strategies might yield different results against different teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom