JB's Presser after Carleton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Carleton

If I’m Girard I’m worried about playing against Virginia. History shows if a bench players plays too well, they actually see less time. Note Braswell last night. He was all the talk after the first game and barely saw the floor last night. Girard played well last night, so he might get buried next. I’ve seen this movie before. After two games, Guerrier and Carey are not two of our five best players. Granted, I’m not at practice, but they have both shown very little in the first two games, except they both take very bad shots too early in a possession.

Guerrier was our best player in Europe. Give him a little time before you give up on him. He is the key to our season.

The guard situation will work itself out, and we have enough fouls and bodies at center that that will work itself out, too.

But we need a tough forward who can consistently score inside and get us boards against other strong forwards.

Short rotations only work if the team doesn’t have depth.
If the difference between the 8th-10th players is minor it’s stupid to only have an 8 man rotation when in certain games the 7-8th players may be off and the 9-10th could get hot.
Having a preset rotation only makes sense you have good players that don’t need to be subbed.

NBA teams sure have a shorter playoff rotation but during the season they go deeper. It should be same for us but our HC coaches every single game like it’s game 7 of the Finals. I get it when you don’t have depth but geez this team should have 10 players getting some minutes in every game.

I just might be better at understanding Boeheim speak.

He's been absolutely consistent and clear on this from the get-go.

Of course, no one knows how this is going to play out and what the impacts are going to be. And he says that he doesn't know. So if you are looking for clarity on that, you won't be satisfied.

He's not against players getting more money, although with meal money and "cost of attendance" money they are doing much better.

One of the true things he said in this presser was that there are two types of people. The ones that don't know how things work. They are all for it. And the one's that do and they are the ones with all the questions.

It reminds me of an observation made by Thomas Sowell.

"Recent history in the US shows us consistently choosing what sounds good over what we know works."

Last edited:
Did people notice he said if Sidibe isn’t active he’s going with Marek at center?
I did notice that and agree that is probably what will happen. JBA and Edwards aren't going to be able to play the middle and help any more on the glass in my opinion. We might as well have Marek out there for offensive reasons. He also isn't as bad as most people talk about. My hope is BS can make it work and be out there for 25 minutes with Marek only playing 15.

He's been absolutely consistent and clear on this from the get-go.
He can be consistent his opinion isn’t stopping the change from coming which is happening.
JB gets paid to endorse products but his fellow HCs are able to function.

I suspect coaches are sensitive about personnel questions to avoid more direct follow up:

“Coach have you settled on a number for your rotation against Virginia?"
"Yes."
"What's that number and did [insert names of players] do enough tonight to make that rotation?"

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that line of questioning but I understand why some coaches don't want to be put on the spot.

Not attempting to excuse Boeheim leaping to "get a new coach", just think most coaches don't like personnel questions because of where they eventually lead.

Of course, JB can always take a page from Dino's book and answer the question without saying much.
That wasn't the question. The question was did you coach this game differently as far as rotation, because you have Virginia next. JB decided to answer a different question about how long and what his rotation would be.

He can be consistent his opinion isn’t stopping the change from coming which is happening.
he is right. And I talked about this exact problem with you when the discussion about paying players for their likeness came up before. It is a great idea until you try to implement it. I can see Kentucky and Kansas and Duke getting boosters to pay big money for a "commercial" for their best players. JB sees the same thing. And down the road, when this becomes a fiasco, JB will be glad he is on the record saying it.

Last edited:

He knows change is coming driven by politics and politicians. He's not saying, "Hell no, I won't go." He knows he has to go along with it.

What he's saying is that no one knows how this is going to play out and that he suspects the thing is damn near unimplementable in a fair manner. He said it will only affect about 50 players and that we are going to see deals in which some players get $50,000 or $100,000.

And then the law suits will start.

Trying to make it fair sometimes makes things worse, not better. (The Soviet Union experiment made that indelibly clear. That's what they were trying to do.)

he is right. And I talked about this exact problem with you when the discussion about paying players for their likeness came up before. It is a great idea until you try to implement it. I can see Kentucky and Kansas and Duke getting boosters to pay big money for a "commercial" for their best players. JB sees the same thing. Abd down the road, when this becomes a fiasco, JB will be glad he is on the record saying it.
Duke, Kansas, Kentucky are ALREADY paying for these big players.
The money will go from untaxed dark money to taxable income.
JB to his credit doesn't buy recruits.

However if local company wants to pay Elijah Hughes to do commericals and that revenue convinces the kid to stay in school for another that is good for everyone. These kids deserve to make money off their celebrity while the iron is warmest.

He knows change is coming driven by politics and politicians. He's not saying, "Hell no, I won't go." He knows he has to go along with it.

What he's saying is that no one knows how this is going to play out and that he suspects the thing is damn near unimplementable in a fair manner. He said it will only affect about 50 players and that we are going to see deals in which some players get $50,000 or $100,000.

And then the law suits will start.

Trying to make it fair sometimes makes things worse, not better. (The Soviet Union experiment made that indelibly clear. That's what they were trying to do.)

Yeah cause the Soviet Union had free markets. What is true is the people who have money always want more for themselves and will make laws and rules to keep it that way.

I did notice that and agree that is probably what will happen. JBA and Edwards aren't going to be able to play the middle and help any more on the glass in my opinion. We might as well have Marek out there for offensive reasons. He also isn't as bad as most people talk about. My hope is BS can make it work and be out there for 25 minutes with Marek only playing 15.

That kind of surprises me about JBA. I thought he looked like he might be able to contribute and body people on defense.

That wasn't the question. The question was did you coach this game differently as far as rotation, because you have Virginia next. JB decided to answer a different question about how long and what his rotation would be.

Thanks for the clarification, I obviously didn't listen to the presser.

It just makes sense to me why some coaches, especially those disinclined to engage members of the media, are sensitive to personnel questions.

That kind of surprises me about JBA. I thought he looked like he might be able to contribute and body people on defense.
It's possible. Edwards and JBA both have a little weight on Marek but I think Marek knows where he needs to be because of how smart he is and it being his 3rd year in the system. I think it kind of ends up washing out. Either way BS really needs to give use 25 min a game IMO. Then we are talking about 15 min to divide up. If BS can't get it going or has issues and is only playing like 10-15 min a game that is a lot of time and we have a problem. We really need BS to come through at the 5 this year. It is the biggest swing factor in us being good. All the other situations have back ups that can step in and we can figure it out IMO.

Yeah cause the Soviet Union had free markets. What is true is the people who have money always want more for themselves and will make laws and rules to keep it that way.

You are obviously blinded by this idea that everybody but the athletes are making a lot of money.

You must be thrilled with the direction.

You and the politicians throw this giant bag of crap over the wall and tell the NCAA and the schools, "Here. Figure this out and manage it. We've done our part by being ideologically pure."

Did you catch the part where JB said that the money the school gets goes right back into programs including Athletic programs. No one is getting rich except a few coaches. The benefits are being distributed among many people.

As far as I can see, these athletes who take his money are professionals. They have left the realm of amateur athletics. All this money, plus their scholarships, meal money and cost of attendance money ought to be taxable. It's only fair!

You are obviously blinded by this idea that everybody but the athletes are making a lot of money.

You and the politicians throw this giant bag of crap over the wall and tell the NCAA and the schools, "Here. Figure this out and manage it. We've done our part by being ideologically pure."

Did you catch the part where JB said that the money the school gets goes right back into programs including Athletic programs. No one is getting rich except a few coaches. The benefits are being distributed among many people.

As far as I can see, these athletes who take his money are professionals. They have left the realm of amateur athletics. All this money, plus their scholarships, meal money and cost of attendance money ought to be taxable. It's only fair!

I have a general rule that if a majority of boomers are against something then it probably is a good idea. The people who are against this are the same type of people who are against an employer building a new factory or warehouse in their neighborhood they cry that their commute is going to be 3 minutes longer. The entire argument of the people against this reeks of NIMBYism.

Last edited:
he is right. And I talked about this exact problem with you when the discussion about paying players for their likeness came up before. It is a great idea until you try to implement it. I can see Kentucky and Kansas and Duke getting boosters to pay big money for a "commercial" for their best players. JB sees the same thing. And down the road, when this becomes a fiasco, JB will be glad he is on the record saying it.
Agree with this - and it won't just be Kentucky, Kansas and Duke whose boosters will be paying players for use of their "likenesses." In 2018, assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Miami, Oklahoma State, Seton Hall, South Carolina, USC and several other schools were implicated in various ways in schemes to funnel money to basketball recruits. You know those schools and many others will figure out ways to use boosters to pay players and recruits for use of their likenesses. Under this proposal, the skeeziness that most people see as distasteful, would become widespread.

Guerrier was our best player in Europe. Give him a little time before you give up on him. He is the key to our season.

The guard situation will work itself out, and we have enough fouls and bodies at center that that will work itself out, too.

But we need a tough forward who can consistently score inside and get us boards against other strong forwards.

If Guerrier catches on that he is needed as an inside player, he'll play.

If, as in the first half of this game, he decides he wants to stay 22 feet out and bomb three's, we have guys that can do that better than he can.

If you think college football and college basketball are amateur athletes you are turning a blind to facts.
TV dollars off the hook, tickets aren't cheap. Texas A&M raised 500 million dollars in donations from the football season Johnny Manziel won the Heisman trophy,

These players AREN'T amateurs. The are cashcows for schools and if they can make money off their likeness they should.
Why should ESPN/ABC/CBS/FOX be able to promo games with players with their likeness and the kids can't get paid for that. The game is about players.

The rowing/swimming/diving/field hockey/golf teams are getting their scholarships paid for by football/basketball money.
Don't make it like P5 schools are only breaking even. Big Ten teams are getting 50 million dollars a YEAR in just TV money.
These ADs are swimming in profits. Bean counters can always cook the books. Schools/NCAA don't want change because the current status quo is good for them. Players being to able to profit on their own likeness takes away power from them. That is all they care about.

he is right. And I talked about this exact problem with you when the discussion about paying players for their likeness came up before. It is a great idea until you try to implement it. I can see Kentucky and Kansas and Duke getting boosters to pay big money for a "commercial" for their best players. JB sees the same thing. Abd down the road, when this becomes a fiasco, JB will be glad he is on the record saying it.

Liberty could be really good, houston will be really good, HBCU's may get some major backing out of nowhere.

its going to change the landscape, thats for sure.

"The scholarhips should be taxable then!" is the quintessential boomer take.
Scholarships wouldn't be taxable but the revenue players make off their likeness would. Is the point being made but Burr is an idiot for how he said it.

I have a general rule that if a majority of boomers are against something then it probably is a good idea. The people who are against this are the same type of people who are against an employer building a new factory or warehouse in their neighborhood they cry that their commute is going to be 3 minutes longer. The entire argument of the people against this reeks of NIMBYism.
What generation are you?