JB's Presser after Carleton | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Carleton

just a reminder, most of the NCAA and all the committees are made up of college presidents, chancellor’s , AD’s etc.
The committees aren’t the actual employees. The NCAA has over full time 500 employees.

That isn’t including the other non full time positions they fill.
The NCAA is a good ole boy organization.

I can't see boosters bankrolling teams to the tune of millions per year
During one of the 2018 trials, former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola testified that a University of Maryland booster was providing $60,000 to Silvio De Sousa's guardian to persuade him to go to Maryland. An attorney for former Adidas executive Jim Gatto said at trial that Oregon boosters were offering "an astronomical amount of money," said to be $100,000, to recruit Brian Bowen for the Ducks. If that much money was being thrown around when it was against the rules, why wouldn't that money grow once it becomes legal?

The committees aren’t the actual employees. The NCAA has over full time 500 employees.

That isn’t including the other non full time positions they fill.
The NCAA is a good ole boy organization.

probably all administrators/grunts or lawyers to keep them out of trouble. The decision makers are college reps. There are 1500 committee members from the colleges covering almost 150 committees covering anything you can think of. That includes the highest committee in the ncaa, the Board of Governors which is made up of Emmert and almost 20 college high ranking officials.

take a look

During one of the 2018 trials, former Adidas consultant T.J. Gassnola testified that a University of Maryland booster was providing $60,000 to Silvio De Sousa's guardian to persuade him to go to Maryland. An attorney for former Adidas executive Jim Gatto said at trial that Oregon boosters were offering "an astronomical amount of money," said to be $100,000, to recruit Brian Bowen for the Ducks. If that much money was being thrown around when it was against the rules, why wouldn't that money grow once it becomes legal?
This is for top 100 guys. You think Howard Washington is going to get $100k from a booster?

What if a booster paid Eric Devendorf $200k to be in a commercial for his business, and then Eric gets arrested for hitting his girlfriend? How does that reflect on their business? There's a lot of risk involved.

This is for top 100 guys. You think Howard Washington is going to get $100k from a booster?

What if a booster paid Eric Devendorf $200k to be in a commercial for his business, and then Eric gets arrested for hitting his girlfriend? How does that reflect on their business? There's a lot of risk involved.
True, but my point is that we won’t be getting top 100 guys without somebody paying them the big bucks. Under the proposed rule changes, will Syracuse get routinely outbid by deep pocket boosters for Oregon, Maryland and other schools?

Just let em go to the NBA when they want to, then these 1% big money edge cases everyone likes to talk about won't be a concern and the market will normalize.

Just let em go to the NBA when they want to, then these 1% big money edge cases everyone likes to talk about won't be a concern and the market will normalize.

That’s up the the NBAPA and NBA owners

If it becomes legal for a player / recruit / prospective transfer to take money from a booster for allowing his image to be used in advertising, why wouldn't he go where the money is biggest? Most of the top players aren't going to choose a college for academic reasons, since they think they'll only be there for 1-2 years anyway. And if it becomes legal, why wouldn't the fat cat boosters offer the money? I worry that the proposed relaxation of amateurism rules will just lead to bidding wars where schools whose boosters have the deepest pockets will skim off the best talent.

This already happens.

It’s why we (with a giant dome and fancy facilities) get better recruits than Colgate for example.

People don’t seem to want to accept that for some reason.

Probably because Syracuse will be negatively affected so NOW it’s unfair

This already happens.

It’s why we (with a giant dome and fancy facilities) get better recruits than Colgate for example.

People don’t seem to want to accept that for some reason.

Probably because Syracuse will be negatively affected so NOW it’s unfair

bidding wars amongst school boosters doesn’t already happen to the magnitude you want to believe.

bidding wars amongst school boosters doesn’t already happen to the magnitude you want to believe.

It absolutely does with shoe companies through AAU teams

It absolutely does with shoe companies through AAU teams

not near the magnitude this thing will allow. And the money involved and the number of teams involved will be far more.

We had coaches on wire taps and that was just one shoe company. I can’t believe people believe that!!!

I don't really want to get involved in this conversation, but everyone needs to understand that the G-league will be in competition with the college basketball more so than the NBA. So kids out of high school who don't get drafted by the NBA (one year out of high school is going away) can go into a second draft, the G-league draft bypassing college completely and make a 6 figure salary by doing so. Make no mistake about it the G-leagues business model is aimed at taking market share from college basketball.

Wait until we have athletes locked up for tax evasion. We’ll be calling guys from the football an Lax team to potentially fill out a roster (again)

Mark Emmert makes 3.4 million dollars a year.
For what reason?
Those 500 employees average salary is over 125k per year.
Why?

The NCAA is beyond dirty.
How much should he make? What is the right amount in your opinion? What about the other employees, hhow much should they make? Are you qualified to determine the right amounts?
What do you do for a living and how much do you make?
We can do this all day with everyone in non- profit organizations.

let's say car dealership A wants to use you in a commercial for 60k. see where this goes ?

How much should he make? What is the right amount in your opinion? What about the other employees, hhow much should they make? Are you qualified to determine the right amounts?
What do you do for a living and how much do you make?
We can do this all day with everyone in non- profit organizations.

Right...So why are we doing this with the players?

It's a clever trick, that I used myself many times working for large corporations.

Why argue with something when you know it's fatally flawed. Just point out the problems as questions. That way when the thing doesn't work you can say that your support was conditional.

Tell me how the NCAA is going to manage or prevent this huge disparity among players on the same team?
Colleges don't do it in dorms. My son has a teammate whose father flies his private plane from Jupiter, FL to all of the Manhattan College soccer games.
We are lucky to be able to make half the games, and live 4 hours away.

Illegallity drives up prices

Really liked what I saw from JG3 at the 1. I know it will be different when he is playing more active, athletic defenders. He has a tight handle, is poised and DECISIVE. I am tired of the dribbling and waiting for something to develop approach. Good vision, aggressive and moving the ball was a refreshing change. Jc is aggressive, even setting aside the bloopers, but mostly looking to score. We’ll see.

Great! Then they should get paid what the market wants to pay them.

you know, kids don’t have to go to college to play sports. In fact they could go into modeling or something similar.

Great! Then they should get paid what the market wants to pay them.

Then let them like any other college student, pay taxes on their income just like any other student on academic scholarship and the students helping to finance their own educational expenses by working too. Remember also that many athletes get additional money already from Pell grants and other financial aid for expenses available to all students if eligible and thus earning money will affect their eligibility for it just like every other student.