JB's Presser after Cornell | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Cornell

Tyus Battle is shooting it well from the 3 and had some very good anticipation steals leading to fast break opportunities which we have really missed this year. He was 4 for 7 from three but conversely only 1 for 4 inside the arc. We will need him to be a threat driving to the basket also.

Sure wasn't Dejuan's game despite it being Cornell , a much smaller team. He played only 9 minutes but managed 3 TO's and just 1 rebound in that span. Thought this would be an opponent that he could make an impact but it didn't happen. We had 7 players, who played 19 or more minutes this game.
I am truly surprised that such a high percentage of Battle's shots are coming from deep, and equally surprised at how well he is shooting from there. I don't think this bodes well for ACC play however, where we will not be seeing much zone and his defenders will be larger and more athletic.

As far as Coleman, I believe he will see a lot of minutes many nights in conference play, and that JB is feeding Thompson as many minutes as he can now to get him up to speed defensively.

This game didn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Seemed like we had a lot of the same issues but it was covered up by Cornell being really bad. I thought we had a couple moments of clarity but this team seems DOA in the ACC.

There did seem to be more communication on the court, but I agree. Saw a lot of the same negatives.
Battle out in front on one fast break and Gillen on the wing stopped running. Battle was fouled and made both but speaks to effort and inefficiency in the open court. There were a couple of well run breaks in the second half.
Settling for early jump shots. Heard Boeheim on the pregame talking about making the other team play defense and assumed he told the team the same but there were a number of long twos taken early on with less than 10 seconds gone of the clock.
Thompson still lost in the middle of the zone.
Sunday will be a real litmus test. B.C. is not a good team but they do have legitimate D1 athletes. We haven;t beaten a team with that level of skill yet.

There did seem to be more communication on the court, but I agree. Saw a lot of the same negatives.
Battle out in front on one fast break and Gillen on the wing stopped running. Battle was fouled and made both but speaks to effort and inefficiency in the open court. There were a couple of well run breaks in the second half.
Settling for early jump shots. Heard Boeheim on the pregame talking about making the other team play defense and assumed he told the team the same but there were a number of long twos taken early on with less than 10 seconds gone of the clock.
Thompson still lost in the middle of the zone.
Sunday will be a real litmus test. B.C. is not a good team but they do have legitimate D1 athletes. We haven;t beaten a team with that level of skill yet.

Yes the players willingness to take quick trigger jumpers with no one near to even contest for a rebound is troublesome. Our guys are slow to fill the lanes and when the ball is on the wing, would love to see more cuts to the basket. Purposeful movement without the ball and basic scoring instincts to show one's hands, make cuts to the basket needs big improvement. We make ourselves way too easy to defend.

I know we had a number of late commits but were Gillon, White, Battle, Thompson at SU during the summer so they could get acquainted with their new teammates? Any veterans skip summer sessions? Most transfers have a year to adjust and many freshman either enroll early or come for summer sessions. I would think that coming in after the summer and needed to contribute immediately would seriously delay chemistry, developing roles and knowing one another's tendencies. Anyone know who was here and who wasn't? Just wondering.

White moved much better without the ball. He scored by cutting back door against the zone. He didn't make a jump shot last night, but was still effective. Howard made two really good drives in the second half and made nice dump off passes that were both missed, but then tipped in. I thought Gillen was really good leading the break in the first half. He made some nice passes. A couple to White cutting to the basket. The game turned around in the first half when Robertson came in. He's our best defensive forward. He did have a couple of crazy passes last night. One was an outlet to Lyndon that made JB put both hands to his head. Sometimes, JB is the best entertainment on the floor.

So - are we purposely now using the common misspellings for all our players names?
:noidea:

If so, I nominate Andrew Whyte III and Franklyn Howard.
Makes them all sound like attorneys or investment bankers. :cool:

Yes the players willingness to take quick trigger jumpers with no one near to even contest for a rebound is troublesome. Our guys are slow to fill the lanes and when the ball is on the wing, would love to see more cuts to the basket. Purposeful movement without the ball and basic scoring instincts to show one's hands, make cuts to the basket needs big improvement. We make ourselves way too easy to defend.

I know we had a number of late commits but were Gillon, White, Battle, Thompson at SU during the summer so they could get acquainted with their new teammates? Any veterans skip summer sessions? Most transfers have a year to adjust and many freshman either enroll early or come for summer sessions. I would think that coming in after the summer and needed to contribute immediately would seriously delay chemistry, developing roles and knowing one another's tendencies. Anyone know who was here and who wasn't? Just wondering.

White was not.

White literally came the first day of classes, I believe. I don't know how that affected the team or the coaches but I can tell you the bball recruiting forum was a hot mess! It makes me wonder if he understood the importance of spending time with his teammates before season opening; I think he didn't. Now, I hope he was genuinely undecided about which school he was coming to, but if he DID know and just wouldn't tell us (for whatever reason), I think his hand was very poorly played and perhaps this has had consequences for our team.

players called him "UNC" early on. maybe that was code for UNCooperative. regardless we need his shooting to be competitive moving on.

I was at this game as well as the st. John's game. I'm so glad I got to see the team play twice over my annual holiday week visit back to the cuse. Usually I can only catch one game. Btw, isn't great that you can get from pretty much any part of Syracuse to any other part in ten minutes or less even in what my parents call "traffic"?

But the real interesting part for me was to see the change, albeit slight, in the right direction. I really hope I witnessed rock bottom and the commencement of our rise.

Thank you JB for better lineups and substitutions and the not so quick trigger (And for not yelling quite as much lol). Stability here is the key to our season. I think we are going to have to be willing to watch TT grow so the team can. A defensive mistake by TT often gives the same result as DC's lack of mobility in all directions and his propensity to get the ball swatted or stolen. We need TT scoring and passing and length.

Roberson was awesome. He's such a dynamic player, even moreso live. When he came in, he immediately changed the game. He got right to work setting screens, rolling, resetting, passing, cutting, boxing out...everything. He gets up and down the floor as well as anyone we've ever had. Moreover, we need the speed he and gillon give us.

White pissed me off more than anyone in the last game with his standing around so it was good to see him more active. He actually made a couple nice cuts to the basket and one especially great rebound. If he is going to get a lot of minutes, it is imperative he get better in the zone. Imho, he is far from the ideal syracuse forward in the zone. I'm glad he was more aggressive but he still got outquicked a few times and could not recover. He often turns completely around to catch up to his cover. It's horrible technique.

As mentioned above, the guards were noticeably better defensively. The caveat is that aside from Hatter, Cornell isn't anywhere near as fast as SJU. Offensively...meh...at least we looked somewhat competent on the fast break?

We are so lucky to have Lydon. If we whine about all of the recruiting misses, we have to give the staff credit for finding him. Lydon and TT give us 2 solid offensive bigs. That is actual rare for us. No Rick and AO but pretty good for a frosh and a soph.

Goin back to Cali. Hit me up if you are ever in the sf bay area and want to watch a cuse game. Cuse baby! Peace out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom