JB's Presser after Iona | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Iona

Overall JB has remained very positive about this team. He seems not as hard-assed about what he has in front of him; many Frosh, a tiny bit of experience, and a whole new team. I think he relishes a squad like this with its great potential and room for growth.

Overall JB has remained very positive about this team. He seems not as hard-assed about what he has in front of him; many Frosh, a tiny bit of experience, and a whole new team. I think he relishes a squad like this with its great potential and room for growth.

Agree. The young kids are only going to get better. I'm enjoying it too. My favorite team of very recent memory.

I think JB enjoys being able to take young players to a step by step improvement. This year, judging by his comments, he has guys who want to do their best which makes it even better. Watching guys battle for rebounds and loose balls is a good sign.

The drama that was evident last year is gone, hopefully for the whole season. That makes it easier to make progress too.

Must watch TV. I hope this man stays forever. JB seems more like himself this year.
A lot of pressure of his shoulders with Hop gone.

Think about where he must have been mentally...having a good idea that one of his sons was good enough to play at 'Cuse yet not being able to coach him because he had been forced to retire.

The constant question of will he retire or won't he.

And having to look Hop in the face every day while knowing he did not want to go.

Now he gets to go out on his own terms...

And tons of credit to Hop never forcing the issue even though coaching SU was his dream job. Hop is clearly a real class act.

Whos the new roberson

In terms of skills, I'd say Moyer. In terms of being a whipping boy, that's yet to be determined although Thorpe might have the inside track off that presser. Interesting the positive comments Roberson had in this article:
After 3-year wait, Matthew Moyer plays 1st game for Syracuse basketball

"Coach is going to coach me hard,'' Moyer said. "I expect nothing less.''

That's another lesson Moyer learned as he sat out last season. In this case, his teacher was former SU forward Tyler Roberson, who might be SU's career leader in beratings from Boeheim.

"I talked to Robe a few weeks ago actually,'' Moyer said. "He said take it positive. If (Boeheim) says something to you, that's a good thing. It means he cares. It means he wants you to do more.''

this reminds me of the 1994-1995 team for some reason. Very minimal expectations, 20ppg scorer who we will need to rely on ALOT (Moten---Battle), some good size, etc. I may be way off on this one but just feels like that team (which i enjoyed watching a ton).

this reminds me of the 1994-1995 team for some reason. Very minimal expectations, 20ppg scorer who we will need to rely on ALOT (Moten---Battle), some good size, etc. I may be way off on this one but just feels like that team (which i enjoyed watching a ton).

That wasn't a big team. Otis Hill was the center at about 6-7. John Wallace was 6-8. JB Reafsnyder came off the bench at 6-10. Luke Jackson was the forward at 6-6. Moten was 6-5 and Michael Lloyd ran the point at 6-2. I hope this season has a better ending. That Arkansas game is #2 on my list of most frustrating defeats, after Indiana '87.

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1994-1995

In terms of skills, I'd say Moyer. In terms of being a whipping boy, that's yet to be determined although Thorpe might have the inside track off that presser. Interesting the positive comments Roberson had in this article:

That's another lesson Moyer learned as he sat out last season. In this case, his teacher was former SU forward Tyler Roberson, who might be SU's career leader in beratings from Boeheim.

"I talked to Robe a few weeks ago actually,'' Moyer said. "He said take it positive. If (Boeheim) says something to you, that's a good thing. It means he cares. It means he wants you to do more.''
Really value your input on anything cuse. Great post ^

That wasn't a big team. Otis Hill was the center at about 6-7. John Wallace was 6-8. JB Reafsnyder came off the bench at 6-10. Luke Jackson was the forward at 6-6. Moten was 6-5 and Michael Lloyd ran the point at 6-2. I hope this season has a better ending. That Arkansas game is #2 on my list of most frustrating defeats, after Indiana '87.

If I remember correctly.. otis hill, Wallace and Jackson all played much bigger than their listed height. Hill especially was a beast inside that year. I also remember Jackson getting better and better that year. Didn't we have Dave Johnson also coming off the bench?

If I remember correctly.. otis hill, Wallace and Jackson all played much bigger than their listed height. Hill especially was a beast inside that year. I also remember Jackson getting better and better that year. Didn't we have Dave Johnson also coming off the bench?

Having "good size" and "playing bigger than their listed height" isn't quite the same thing. Click on the link to see who we had, (Dave was not among them).
Dave Johnson

Agree. The young kids are only going to get better. I'm enjoying it too. My favorite team of very recent memory.
Just wondering, why is this team such a favorite of yours? After 4 games, I think they are quite brutal to watch. No offensive flow or ability to run plays and an overall lack of talent. They play hard, which I enjoy, but the skill is not there. I flipped to the UK/KU game after and it was night and day. That game was loaded with athletes, kids who could create anything they wanted and an overall much better flow to a game. Obviously, with so many 5-stars, those players are going to be better, but it was alarming how different (and worse) our team looked.

I want to believe this team won't be so bad, but they've been struggling with nobodies thus far. Having no PG again is very evident and I worry what's going to happen when a team with some size and strength goes against our frontline. I don't think the ceiling is very high, but the floor seems pretty low.

Roberson was one of the most frustrating players we ever had. The potential was there and you'd see the tantalizing glimpses of his talent and athleticism and how he could not only contribute but dominate. I often wondered if he actually enjoyed or had any consistent passion about playing. To a lesser degree, I remember wondering the same about Mookie Watkins, another really great quiet kid who seemed to lack passion for the game. I even remember Hop saying what a good kid Roberson was, never caused any problems but that you never could tell if he was listening, paying attention or just tuning you out. A great coach I knew, said that a player had to worry when a coach stopped coaching, criticizing, yelling, teaching because he's then given up on you as not worth his time anymore. Had to be so frustrating. Hope he's doing well.

That team had a lot more proven talent than this one, and a ton more experience. But maybe the most important difference is that it had a second option in Wallace, and a third option in Lloyd (who was really good that year), and a fourth option in Jackson. That's all really missing this year.

Also, that was not a good defensive team, but had a lot of offensive firepower. The best case scenario for this year's squad is probably the opposite. (Also, other than Hill being a little short for a center, the 95 team doesn't seem like a small team at all? Wallace was big for a college 4, Luke probably average for a college 3, Poetry big for a 2 and Lloyd big for a point. JB Reaf was a big guy).

If you wanted a comparison year, I really think the best one is '01-02, hopefully without the drama. Relying a lot on a couple perimeter guys for offense (there Shump and Williams), while giving young guys important developmental time. Not a lot of offense from the 5, but some good defensive play. A bit of a question mark at the 1.

He really gave it to Moyer before the half in the opener. Got pretty animated again last night but not to the same degree. Interesting that Boeheim's continuing the trend I pointed out a few years ago of coming down hardest on the smartest kid on the team (Forth, Duany, Christmas).

He really gave it to Moyer before the half in the opener. Got pretty animated again last night but not to the same degree. Interesting that Boeheim's continuing the trend I pointed out a few years ago of coming down hardest on the smartest kid on the team (Forth, Duany, Christmas).
I use to hate coaching really smart kids. Many times they want to over analyze everything. Sometimes in the huddle you just need people to shut up and do what you say. I know it sounds harsh but it was true for me.

That team had a lot more proven talent than this one, and a ton more experience. But maybe the most important difference is that it had a second option in Wallace, and a third option in Lloyd (who was really good that year), and a fourth option in Jackson. That's all really missing this year.

Also, that was not a good defensive team, but had a lot of offensive firepower. The best case scenario for this year's squad is probably the opposite. (Also, other than Hill being a little short for a center, the 95 team doesn't seem like a small team at all? Wallace was big for a college 4, Luke probably average for a college 3, Poetry big for a 2 and Lloyd big for a point. JB Reaf was a big guy).

If you wanted a comparison year, I really think the best one is '01-02, hopefully without the drama. Relying a lot on a couple perimeter guys for offense (there Shump and Williams), while giving young guys important developmental time. Not a lot of offense from the 5, but some good defensive play. A bit of a question mark at the 1.

Other than Battle/Moten...I don’t really see the similarities. And even with that, Moten was a senior who had already turned in 3 very productive seasons - better seasons than Battle’s freshman year. But different eras, so a very talented sophomore who started as a freshman is basically this era’s version of a 4 year star player.

Wallace was a junior and 3 year starter at that point and a proven stud. We don’t have anyone like that on this squad. Jackson and Hill were also returning starters.

Way more proven team in ‘95, with much more offensive firepower. That team was definitely ranked in the preseason and had pretty high expectations. The only unknown was Lloyd and he was a stud HS recruit who had to go JC due to grades and put up huge numbers there.

Just wondering, why is this team such a favorite of yours? After 4 games, I think they are quite brutal to watch. No offensive flow or ability to run plays and an overall lack of talent. They play hard, which I enjoy, but the skill is not there. I flipped to the UK/KU game after and it was night and day. That game was loaded with athletes, kids who could create anything they wanted and an overall much better flow to a game. Obviously, with so many 5-stars, those players are going to be better, but it was alarming how different (and worse) our team looked.

I want to believe this team won't be so bad, but they've been struggling with nobodies thus far. Having no PG again is very evident and I worry what's going to happen when a team with some size and strength goes against our frontline. I don't think the ceiling is very high, but the floor seems pretty low.

It's probably because I don't watch anything other than SU games. They're not that good but because they're young, they will get better. We've been in such a rut recently that this constitutes progress in my mind. The effort on the boards so far plus our shot blockers also give me hope that we'll put some surprises this year.

Umm what game did u watch? Yes we certainly have our offensive deficiencies but the uk/ku game didn't show case any great offense except for them all being talented athletes. KU looked like they were playing iso alot and hit some big 3s when needed and UK is a mess at pg spot not knowing if they should stick with green or alexander and has NO one to shoot the 3 ball right now except for knox. Knox looked great and at times diallo looked good too but neither team looked spectacular in that game. Not saying they aren't good teams or have great athletes but they weren't that impressive on the offensive side...or defense for that matter. Also they were TURNOVER machines...it wasn't that pretty.

Umm what game did u watch? Yes we certainly have our offensive deficiencies but the uk/ku game didn't show case any great offense except for them all being talented athletes. KU looked like they were playing iso alot and hit some big 3s when needed and UK is a mess at pg spot not knowing if they should stick with green or alexander and has NO one to shoot the 3 ball right now except for knox. Knox looked great and at times diallo looked good too but neither team looked spectacular in that game. Not saying they aren't good teams or have great athletes but they weren't that impressive on the offensive side...or defense for that matter.
Apparently he missed uk’s struggles last week .

I flipped to the UK/KU game after and it was night and day. That game was loaded with athletes, kids who could create anything they wanted and an overall much better flow to a game. Obviously, with so many 5-stars, those players are going to be better, but it was alarming how different (and worse) our team looked.
Mostly disagree w this. I flipped it over, too, and saw a bunch of really tall, athletic dudes playing fairly hard but with very little actual basketball skill - bad offense both ways, poor shooting, very little ball movement, all kinds of one-on-one mentality...
I don't think anyone is trying to claim our offense is remotely pretty to watch yet - but if you can't see a great basketball player in TB, some surrounding youg/blossoming talent, and a defense that shows potential to win games by itself - well, then you're just trying to see something else

Mostly disagree w this. I flipped it over, too, and saw a bunch of really tall, athletic dudes playing fairly hard but with very little actual basketball skill - bad offense both ways, poor shooting, very little ball movement, all kinds of one-on-one mentality...
I don't think anyone is trying to claim our offense is remotely pretty to watch yet - but if you can't see a great basketball player in TB, some surrounding youg/blossoming talent, and a defense that shows potential to win games by itself - well, then you're just trying to see something else
Tyus is great and Brissett has looked very promising. Other than those two, it's been an absolute grind. Moyer/Delezaj/Chukwu have no offensive ability now, Sidibe is pretty limited and Frank/Geno haven't exactly looked good with the ball in their hands. Frank has been good as a catch and shoot type. I'm not on board with the defense yet because we have to see if these guys can hold up against a power 5 frontcourt. With the lack of bulk, I think it's going to be messy.

With limited offensive players, this is the type of team that needs to run clean, crisp set plays and not play iso ball. It works when Tyus has the ball, but we are a complete mess in the half court. Not having a legit PG hurts of course, but this area must improve.

The best hope with this team is that the young players will get better and stronger in-season. I'm hoping it'll at least be an up-and-down year and not an absolute slog.

I disagree with your assessment of the UK/KU game. It was brutal to watch and UK does not look very good in my opinion. They have no one outside of Knox who can score on their own. They are long and athletic but they are really raw and you can even tell when Paypal talks about his team. It's not the we aren't good right now look at me so when we are good I get credit type deal it's the this team will not be good type talk. On rupp rafters multiple people are like we just need to make the tourney and hopefully win a few games I can't envision this team sniffing the final 4. To be honest I wasn't that impressed with anyone I saw last night outside of Duke but I think Grayson Allen played out of his mind and I don't think he will do that all year. I think out team has some big issues especially on offense but I feel better about our chances as a whole after watching other teams last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom