JB's Presser after Miami | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Miami

Based on that presser, those five guys that played tonight better get some rest at home, because it won't come during the games.
Hes tried a lot of lineups this season and i know he has briefly tried those 5 guys earlier in the season, but tonite was the first time this team even vaguely resembled last years team that won in Baha and won 4 games in March...and i have to think the two keys are the two Tylers out there at the 4/5....and having a pg out there who shows some positive leadership...

Key for me was that their 6-inch game improved drastically. It started within the first 6 minutes when Robo looked like he wanted to thunder-dunk, then thought it was better to make sure the ball actually went through the hoop and changed his shot. Good on him. A minute or so later, he cashed a second bunny, and those 4 points kept the 'Canes from opening up an early three-possession lead. Robo finished 4-5, only missing a mid-range jumper.

Lydon, too, cashed in several crips that have been eluding the team during games. Glad to see they focused on executing close-in -- that can loosen them up and build confidence for playing the other facets of the game which, as JB said in the presser, showed welcome improvement. Nice turnaround!--VBOF

Key for me was that their 6-inch game improved drastically. It started within the first 6 minutes when Robo looked like he wanted to thunder-dunk, then thought it was better to make sure the ball actually went through the hoop and changed his shot. Good on him. A minute or so later, he cashed a second bunny, and those 4 points kept the 'Canes from opening up an early three-possession lead. Robo finished 4-5, only missing a mid-range jumper.

Lydon, too, cashed in several crips that have been eluding the team during games. Glad to see they focused on executing close-in -- that can loosen them up and build confidence for playing the other facets of the game which, as JB said in the presser, showed welcome improvement. Nice turnaround!--VBOF

Great observation on the Roberson dunk, that's one of those little things that might not get noticed, but how many times has one of our players missed a dunk in that situation? It was a smart adjustment to take the two points.

JB on Gillon: "The one thing about that position (point guard), when you're hesitating, when you're thinking about the other guy coming in, ... I think that's been one of our problems. I think we have to go with one person in that position for a while."

That's the most significant sound bite coming out of this presser.

Last edited:
JB on Gillon: "The one thing about that position (point guard), when you're hesitating, when you're thinking about the other guy coming in, ... I think that's been one of our problems. I think we have to go with one person in that position for a while."

That's the most significant sound bite out of this presser.

Agree 100%.

Will be interesting to see if there is a commensurate jump in his performance / consistency.

Agree 100%.

Will be interesting to see if there is a commensurate jump in his performance / consistency.

I think it helps everybody to have clarity on their place in the pecking order. I think this will help John. I think it could help Frank, too. He will have a better idea on what his job is. He'll stop looking over his shoulder, too, and maybe perform at the level he did during our run in the tourney last year.

Great observation on the Roberson dunk, that's one of those little things that might not get noticed, but how many times has one of our players missed a dunk in that situation? It was a smart adjustment to take the two points.
When good things happen, more good things tend to follow.-VBOF

I think it helps everybody to have clarity on their place in the pecking order. I think this will help John. I think it could help Frank, too. He will have a better idea on what his job is. He'll stop looking over his shoulder, too, and maybe perform at the level he did during our run in the tourney last year.
Well at the moment when he's looking over his shoulder he sees Autry's kid next to the trainer.

That's the most significant sound bite coming out of this presser.
Agreed. I liked Boeheim tonight in the presser. I thought he was positive and happy but talked about how there is more work to do. The reporters tried to get him to say he benched Howard but he wouldn't do it and they tried to get him to talk about this win as a huge thing but he did't acknowledge it that way. Just a good significant step in the right direction.

Oh, so Lydon has become a gang banger now huh.;)

Agreed. I liked Boeheim tonight in the presser. I thought he was positive and happy but talked about how there is more work to do. The reporters tried to get him to say he benched Howard but he wouldn't do it and they tried to get him to talk about this win as a huge thing but he did't acknowledge it that way. Just a good significant step in the right direction.

Good point. He didn't throw Frank under the bus. John has been a little better, and JB has to go with one guy without pulling him out of the game after every mistake.

Lydon, too, cashed in several crips
that have been eluding the team during games. Glad to see they focused on executing close-in -- that can loosen them up and build confidence for playing the other facets of the game which, as JB said in the presser, showed welcome improvement. Nice turnaround!--VBOF

Oh, so Lydon has become a gang banger now huh.;)

tumblr_ntodo5gUsy1sfjxejo1_500.gif
+
1237768_o.gif
=
usa-today-9116131.0.jpg

P.S. This is perhaps my greatest work on this board...

A couple weeks ago I posted that we needed to go with fewer players and let them gel, especially considering the lack of TEAM experience together. Tonight was a good start for some consistency. If there is a core that knows they are going to stay on the court (especially on the defensive end), the others can loosen up and come in a few games down the road and contribute when needed. Onward and upward. Go 'Cuse!

The team played the best defense we've seen all season. The TV announcer said the Orange played good offense. But I thought it was the defense that was the key. Lots a great plays on defense. Lots of energy and effort. Steals in the passing lanes. It wasn't perfect but it gives me hope!

The team played the best defense we've seen all season. The TV announcer said the Orange played good offense. But I thought it was the defense that was the key. Lots a great plays on defense. Lots of energy and effort. Steals in the passing lanes. It wasn't perfect but it gives me hope!
When Roby slid underneath from the weekside, to intercept a pass into the low post area, I thought, the defense is back.

Not only Gillon, but I thought Robey played EXTREMELY loose. Hope JB lets Robey just play without yanking him every mistake, and if last night was any indication, I think that is what will happen. Our defense and rebounding with Robey/Lydon/AW3 on the backline lasat night was great.

i was disappointed that in the presser,jb did not give any kudos to roberson--he should have and it would have done roby a world of good.

it was good but he should have complimented roby. he played very well and a compliment would be of benefit to him. jim is jim.

i was disappointed that in the presser,jb did not give any kudos to roberson--he should have and it would have done roby a world of good.

Don't you think this happened in the locker room? If the players are watching the press conference to find out what the coach thinks of their play, we have bigger problems than anyone realizes.

“Taurean’s still not good in the middle of the zone yet. He’s struggling in there. Tyler’s better in there,” Boeheim said. “Tyler Roberson’s our best defensive forward, so it was just a defensive maneuver.”

“Taurean’s still not good in the middle of the zone yet. He’s struggling in there. Tyler’s better in there,” Boeheim said. “Tyler Roberson’s our best defensive forward, so it was just a defensive maneuver.”
thanks for pointing that out. he also contributed on offense and rebounds for the minutes he got

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom