JB's Presser after Oregon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Oregon

I can't believe we lost to a garbage uconn team that lost to Iowa by 20. In front of a packed MSG crowd. The Ducks are good thats an OK team to lose to but What on Thursday.

Battle and Brissett forgot how to play basketball I guess.

Not me. I picked SU with reservations 73-72 over UConn in the prediction thread. I knew they would stifle our guards. It was so bad to start that game that one could ponder if JB thought UConn would come out in zone. They were that unprepared and skiddish against their M2M. Coming off the Morehead struggles to boot. Unreal.

Not me. I picked SU with reservations 73-72 over UConn in the prediction thread. I knew they would stifle our guards. It was so bad to start that game that one could ponder if JB thought UConn would come out in zone. They were that unprepared and skiddish against their M2M. Coming off the Morehead struggles to boot. Unreal.
Same here. I’m not surprised at the outcomes. I thought we would struggle against Uconn’s guards but win a close one and end up losing to Oregon bc they are one of the few teams that can match our length.

I’m not surprised we lost. What I didn’t expect was to get smacked by UConn and just out physicalled by Oregon. I have faith that the shooting and perimeter d will improve. I’m more concerned by our lack of physicality/aggressiveness down low.

Asking our centers to be more physical is hilarious. PC is 220 lbs and BS is like a baby deer at times. These dudes can’t be physical with anyone, which is not their fault. Recruit some bulk and ability and we won’t have these questions.

I beg to differ. ;):)

tenor.gif

The focus on the centers is comical.
1. We need them to be more physical. They aren't physical, so stop wishing for them to do things they really aren't capable of doing, what's the point?
2. We need to get the ball inside. Yes, but not to the centers! When we do that against quality competition they fumble the ball, get stripped, spend 10 seconds trying to decide what to do with the ball and get blocked. Nothing good is going to happen from making a concerted effort to get our current centers the ball on the interior, even when they appear to be open. They are good for the occasional dump down when their man loses them defending another player on the interior and occasional put backs, hoping for more than that against good competition is foolish. What Boeheim needs to decide is are they giving us enough in terms of shot alteration on defense and limited rebounding to warrant playing them over going to a smaller lineup. So far he is sticking with the more traditional approach.
3. We need to recruit better centers. No crap! But that isnt fixable this season, and may not be fixable for next either. We've swung and missed at center a lot of years in a row. Bryant, Diagne, Noel, Richards, etc., if we don't land Stewarts its probably not fixable for next year either unless Sidibe makes a big jump. But better recruiting at that position doesn't help you make do with what you have available to you.

Boheim acts a bit unclassy when asked about Howard Washington, especially considering he said he couldnt say for certain whether Frank would be back for the next game.

He was being honest and direct, as opposed to feeding the reporters a line designed to dodge the question or feed them absolute BS designed to not offend anyone.

I sometimes think fans expect pre-packaged non-answers and are disappointed when they don’t get them.

Finally there’s a coach that isn’t 100% coach-speak and we complain about the bluntness.

JB identified this as a dumb question. It seems obvious to him that a reporter should know that if a player isn’t playing that it’s because the coach doesn’t have any confidence in him or doesn’t think he would contribute anything.

JB went even further and said in so many words that when his experienced player Frank gets back Washington will be coming into the game with the walk-ons.

In this day of college basketball you cannot throw Chukwu and Sidibe our there on offense. They don’t give you anything. On defense they are ok but need to get stronger. They keep biting on pump fakes. At this point they are a liability.

didn't the post give us 18-18 combined just 2 games ago ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom