JB's Presser after Pitt | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Pitt

good presser overall . a little dismissive of jalen's DNP imo . didn't need him i guess ? up 20 and your starting backcourt likely gone next year you can't give him developmental minutes ? great confidence boost.

good presser overall . a little dismissive of jalen's DNP imo . didn't need him i guess ? up 20 and your starting backcourt likely gone next year you can't give him developmental minutes ? great confidence boost.

Maybe he’s hurt. Maybe he’s sick. Maybe he had a crappy week of practice. Maybe he told JB to eat shyt. We have no idea why he didn’t play.

JB says in his answer he wanted tyus at the point. didn't mentioned jalen being hurt.

JC is a turnover machine that can’t shoot. Besides scoring a bunch against a horrible UConn team he hasn’t played well. He isn’t ready. I think you play the horses you need this year to get continuity. Franks injury really set us back. JC will have his opportunity next year.

JC is a turnover machine that can’t shoot.
We’re trading offense for defense with this DNP. Buddy is streaky at best right now and he’s a liability on defense. For every 3 he made Pitt scored a 3 on his side. No reason jc couldn’t get some run. Hope he’s not getting KJ’d.

He’s been turning the ball over like crazy lately. If it’s a matter of him having to earn his minutes, I understand.

We’re trading offense for defense with this DNP. Buddy is streaky at best right now and he’s a liability on defense. For every 3 he made Pitt scored a 3 on his side. No reason jc couldn’t get some run. Hope he’s not getting KJ’d.
Watched buddy closely on defense today. Moved well and closed out smartly. I was impressed

Buddy was pretty good on defense today. Wasn’t a liability at all.

Buddy lacks lateral quickness on D but he’s smart with his angles. He also spreads out the floor on offense because of his outside shooting. Opening up lanes for everyone else. He also isn’t a turnover machine.

Watched buddy closely on defense today. Moved well and closed out smartly. I was impressed
He gave up two consecutive baskets after his last 3. A corner 3 and a layup. I like his game, I like what he did today, but he is an offense first player at this stage, to put it kindly.

Opinion:
JC has not adjusted to the high level college game good enough to play. He starts at any team ranked below 50. However, at the highest level, everyone is on his level. Adjusting from the HS game where these guys are superstars to the high level college hoops game is a major jump, most freshmen are not ready.

Ad to this the need to count on him early in t he season when he suffered a serious injury preseason was probably too much. JB had to play him but playing under those circumstances may have delayed his adjustment a little.

I also think that Frank needs as much time as he can handle to get back to 100%. JB likes his teams to peak going into tourney season and Frank is behind the curve, making the team behind the curve.

JC will be on the court as the season progresses and will be ready to run the show in November.

I'm just finishing the game now. No complaints about anyone, and especially effort.
We are sure going to run Tyus huh?

We love you Jimmy!!!
maxresdefault.jpg.cf.jpg

Based on what JB said, maybe he was using the developmental minutes to continue to refine the Battle as scoring guard with the ball in his hands tactic he talked about. This sounds like a new concept he tried at first at Duke and wanted some more looks at it today and also to get TB more comfortable with it and to explore the possibilities. I don’t think he had any other reason to DNP Carey. Yeah he was shaky at Cameron but come on, that was a tough spot for a freshman PG.

Pitt had 0-11 and 0-10 runs in this game. A 20 point lead wasn't safe.

They also had a run at the end of the first half and one late in the second half where they hit everything they jacked up. Basketball is a game of runs and slumps by nature.

One statement caught my attention... when talking about Buddy, at the end of his statement, he said “he doesn’t hurt us”.

Found that interesting as it pertains to this conversation.

JC will be back out there and he’ll continue to be developed. One game is only one game. Maybe it was a message, maybe JB’s thinking it’ll help like it did with Chukwu... Maybe JC went to a party and did something stupid, maybe he slept through an early practice, maybe I don’t care bc we won.

Liability? I expected Buddy to come in with a strong understanding of his father's zone principles. Took him a while to get used to the athleticism but I thought he was excellent yesterday. Cut off dribble drive consistently and extended out on Pitt's freshman guards very well. Positioning is much stronger than Carey's at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom