JB's Presser after Wake | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Wake

2/18/84. Third Overtime in an 87-85 win over a mediocre, (pre-Calhoun) Connecticut team. We're trying to run the clock out when the pearl throws a 60 lead pass that winds up in the third row. JB tears off his jacket, throws it on the floor and jumps up and down on it. JB tears off his tie, throws it on the floor and jumps up and down on it. JB begins to remove his shirt but is stopped my his assistants in the nick of time. Nobody wanted to see that. Nobody.

I dub a game like that and tonight's a "Wardrobe Malfunction Game".

Ha, that is a great story! I knew you were the right guy to ask. So the end of your post allows me to make the joke I was going to, that maybe before the game JB was sharpening his strategic skills, as well as grit, by playing a few hands of strip poker. ...Then again, the story portion of your post could mean maybe he had become disenchated with something. I like it better when he or others take it out on inanimate objects rather than people or animals, so that story actually adds to his respect me from me.

Thanks again for that, and speaking of youtube, I wish it were on there because I'd like to see it!

Last edited:
The 2 on 1 break is the first thing you learn in basketball...
2 on 1 is a fundamental concept in not just basketball, but any sport with a goal like soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc.
But it’s most vital in water polo:
- Joe, pass the ball to Bill
- Joe, pass to Bill!
- JOE, PASS TO BILL!!!
- Joe, why didn’t you pass to Bill????
- Ummm, I scored?
- Yeah, you scored but Bill drowned

Back to regularly scheduled player criticism ...

Q is pumped, playing with high energy, tempo and increasing success. Gets it out on the break with Eli who’s obviously immediately noticed by the defender. The way I saw it, he played the middle, initially cutting off the pass and making Q continue the drive. Once Q drove on, the defender continued hedging and confusing Q who wanted to pass but wasn’t sure when. And that’s what caused the charge. Pretty savvy play on D messing with the freshman’s head. People are being harsh on Q. Pro’s screw up 2 on 1‘s all the time.

Last edited:
Q doesnt have a good handle. He had his head down. Looked like a rampaging bull in heat as he barreled towards the hole. Bottom line is that he was out of control, not selfish on that play.
I thought he played a very good game. He brings a much needed physical presence. Wish he were a few inches taller. Kid is a warrior.

I left the game for a while, came back in second half. JB’s jacket is off. Uh oh, danger!

2 on 1 is a fundamental concept in not just basketball, but any sport with a goal like soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc.
- Joe, pass to Bill!
- JOE, PASS TO BILL!!!
- Ummm, I scored?

Q is pumped, playing with high energy, tempo and increasing success. Gets it out on the break with Eli who’s obviously immediately noticed by the defender. The way I saw it, he played the middle, initially cutting off the pass and making Q continue the drive. Once Q drove on, the defender continued hedging and confusing Q who wanted to pass but wasn’t sure when. And that’s what caused the charge. Pretty savvy play on D messing with the freshman’s head. People are being harsh on Q. Pro’s screw up 2 on 1‘s all the time.
The program gets horrific spacing in 2 on 1 opportunities. Often the filler in my opinion is at fault, often the ball handler, last night it was both

The program gets horrific spacing in 2 on 1 opportunities. Often the filler in my opinion is at fault, often the ball handler, last night it was both
You consider this a systemic “program” issue? Well, guess in a way it is. But simply due to the lack of practicing it lately. I think fast break execution in general is not something JB concentrates on, especially in the last decade. We always ran plenty and quite well. The epitome being Sherm’s hike to Stevie. Yes, a million years ago, but technically still within “program” definition.

You consider this a systemic “program” issue? Well, guess in a way it is. But simply due to the lack of practicing it lately. I think fast break execution in general is not something JB concentrates on, especially in the last decade. We always ran plenty and quite well. The epitome being Sherm’s hike to Stevie. Yes, a million years ago, but technically still within “program” definition.

True, but so was man to man defense back then.

Love the play you mentioned by the way! It was even more rare than Fab Melo's 360 dunk.

JB channeling his inner K with the "amazing" references in pulling out the W. :)

I did find it somewhat interesting that in his "amazement" he really had no idea how these non-regulars in the game the last 4 minutes were able to pull it off (other than by pure effort/grit) as they were doing things in there that the other guys who fouled out weren't doing. Hmm JB...maybe these other guys like Goodine & Edwards can indeed offer something, even a smidgen...if they actually just get an opportunity?

It's basketball 101...he chose to he selfish to put his stats ahead of the team...if he is not completely ripped for it we will has 3 -4 guys making the wrong play for selfish reasons...
Disagree on the selfish part. we don’t really know what was going on inside his head. Have you ever been caught up in the heat of the moment in a basketball play? There’s a million better ways to criticize. The fact that anyone thinks it’s ok to get ripped like that is a bit disturbing.

JB channeling his inner K with the "amazing" references in pulling out the W. :)

I did find it somewhat interesting that in his "amazement" he really had no idea how these non-regulars in the game the last 4 minutes were able to pull it off (other than by pure effort/grit) as they were doing things in there that the other guys who fouled out weren't doing. Hmm JB...maybe these other guys like Goodine & Edwards can indeed offer something, even a smidgen...if they actually just get an opportunity?
Yes they may. But they also have to earn it in practice. They are both freshman and are likely getting better as time goes by. Neither showed a ton in previous games that made me think they needed to be out there. After yesterday we saw that they both brought defensive energy, which can help. Neither showed much offensively although again Edwards showed good energy on the offensive boards. Goodine showed us nothing on offense. My guess is next year both are more present in the rotation.

Coleman with the steal, outlets to Owens who immediately gives it up to Douglas who lobs it up to Owens for the dunk. Oranges fly onto the court.

Yes they may. But they also have to earn it in practice. They are both freshman and are likely getting better as time goes by. Neither showed a ton in previous games that made me think they needed to be out there. After yesterday we saw that they both brought defensive energy, which can help. Neither showed much offensively although again Edwards showed good energy on the offensive boards. Goodine showed us nothing on offense. My guess is next year both are more present in the rotation.

I hear ya on the "earn" it in practice argument. But the fact is, it's not an absolute in regards to how one may perform when the house lights come on. Perhaps these frosh may not have so much stage fright of a thing if they had gotten more run to this point? Others may perform in practice, but not so much in games...enter Sidibe here.

Again, IMO, it was rather interesting to see JB in his post game presser being "amazed" by what he saw, seemingly drawing that conclusion from what he apparently sees in practice, etc.. Yet when these guys got on the floor and got some run in the most critical moments of the game, they surpassed his expectations. I think many of us can relate somewhere in our lives that one's perceived expectation of us, positive or negative, does not substantiate its truth.

Disagree on the selfish part. we don’t really know what was going on inside his head. Have you ever been caught up in the heat of the moment in a basketball play? There’s a million better ways to criticize. The fact that anyone thinks it’s ok to get ripped like that is a bit disturbing.
Have I ever been selfish on a basketball court? YES...thousands of times...that is why I know it when I see it...but in my defense it was mostly pick-up basketball

It can't be allowed in a team/organized setting

I hear ya on the "earn" it in practice argument. But the fact is, it's not an absolute in regards to how one may perform when the house lights come on. Perhaps these frosh may not have so much stage fright of a thing if they had gotten more run to this point? Others may perform in practice, but not so much in games...enter Sidibe here.

Again, IMO, it was rather interesting to see JB in his post game presser being "amazed" by what he saw, seemingly drawing that conclusion from what he apparently sees in practice, etc.. Yet when these guys got on the floor and got some run in the most critical moments of the game, they surpassed his expectations. I think many of us can relate somewhere in our lives that one's perceived expectation of us, positive or negative, does not substantiate its truth.
Good points. One last note around his amazement could have been prior gameplay as well. Something tells me for Goodine and Edwards part of their good play may have been the idea that they weren’t getting yanked too amazing what that confidence can translate to on court.

didn't see the game. on the radio i thought they said JB took off his jacket when buddy missed a free throw.
again. that's just what i thought i heard. no video backup. as for the officiating looking at the box wake had more fouls against and fewer free throws. i imagine if that stat flips people will be jumping off bridges.

didn't see the game. on the radio i thought they said JB took off his jacket when buddy missed a free throw.
again. that's just what i thought i heard. no video backup. as for the officiating looking at the box wake had more fouls against and fewer free throws. i imagine if that stat flips people will be jumping off bridges.

He absolutely did take off his jacket at that precise moment after Buddy's miss. Bonner went on to comment that Buddy is only shooting about 70% from the line. I mentioned a couple of weeks back or so in a thread (when Buddy was around 77% at that point in the season) that you'd think with Buddy's amazing stroke, his FT percentage would be more in the mid 80% range or so minimally. I basically got dismissed on that premise 'as much ado about nothing.' :)

Last edited:

Wake Forest pressed and played man to man, and tried to be physical with Hughes, and Marek. They should’ve had more fouls. One would have to watch the game to know that though.

boxscore also says elijah,buddy and joe combined for 118 minutes and just 2 fouls. that seem high or low ?

The last time I was on before banning the board for abuse, when I tried to defend you when you were being mocked and not even on the board. It was explained to me that you don't show up after wins or when Buddy does well. Now that I am back, I have verified for myself that that is not the case. Even if you do have a different shtick than most on here, I like to read a variety of them, as some suit my mood at the time more than others.

I also wouldn't have known why JB was without his jacket in the presser, and found your explanation rather interesting. Apparently JB can be upset with Buddy, and if I am understanding others correctly about your shtick, it took courage for you to point it out. I welcome a free market of ideas, as well as someone who provided information that nobody else had. Keep up the good work, and if the what others say is true, taking it easy on our boy Buddy might even benefit you, with the way he has already improved. Then again I reckon it could be argued that others could improve like Buddy has(even if not to the same extent), if given at least some token minutes. I find it helpful to remind myself that we're often dealing with probabilities on here rather than absolutes.

Plus I dig your screen name, which reminds me of George Costanza. Of course I didn't realize until last night that name had now become an insult on here. I have some catching up to do if I want to stay current! lol

i find it hard to comment on games i can't watch or listen to. boxscores are great but never tell the whole story. been banned myself and still get a ton of content wiped so keep speaking your truth as you see it.
john locke and the agora of ideas .

Last edited:
Ha, that is a great story! I knew you were the right guy to ask. So the end of your post allows me to make the joke I was going to, that maybe before the game JB was sharpening his strategic skills, as well as grit, by playing a few hands of strip poker. ...Then again, the story portion of your post could mean maybe he had become disenchated with something. I like it better when he or others take it out on inanimate objects rather than people or animals, so that story actually adds to his respect me from me.

Thanks again for that, and speaking of youtube, I wish it were on there because I'd like to see it!

Here's another one, from Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract, (I can't recall the name of the player so I can't quote the page). A hundred years ago the first player ever to play with glasses on was at the plate when the umpire called two dubious strikes on him. The player then took off his glasses and handed them to the umpire. Instead of getting angry and throwing the player out of the game, the Umpire took off his mask, put the glasses on, then put his mask back on and shouted "Play Ball". the pitcher threw his next pitch. the umpire yelled ""STRIKE THREE- YER OUT!", The umpire then took off his mask, then the glasses and handed them back to the player.

Now that's how you handle a player who is trying to show you up!

- Joe, pass to Bill!
- JOE, PASS TO BILL!!!
- Ummm, I scored?

We do too much drive and rive in our offense, not enough drive and dish or give and go.There are more options than taking it to the rim and/or getting fouled.

This needs to be posted at least once a year so here it is. This is the Syracuse basketball we fell in love with in the 1980's, when we were the college equivalent of the Showtime Lakers:

If, at the conclusion of a play we don't know what was going on inside a player's head, it was likely a bad play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom