JB's presser remarks on recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's presser remarks on recruiting

You think he does? I see a kid who looks like he's learning to be a point guard and he's done well against 3 scrub teams. Let's see how he does in the ACC before you guys all have him drafted

Yea but only because hes a cuse guard

Hes got the height and size, and hes made incredible frosh to soph jump which is the key i think

Lost - Boo Harvey Replacement - Sherman Douglas
Lost - Julius Hodge Replacement - Hakim Warrick
Lost - Michael Lloyd and Kenny Anderson - Replacement - Z Sims

I am sure there are others.

Correction - we lost Lloyd and Marbury that year.

The biggest loss was, by far, Kenny Anderson. You add Anderson to that team we had in 1990, SU wins it all. Instead, we had Stevie Thompson play out of position at PG. We had no natural distributor on the floor.

I understand that folks want to get excited about the present and forget about the past a bit, but MCW legitimately led the entire country in assists, steals & minutes as well.

I love hyperbole, but comparing Frank to MCW is wild.

JB said that MCW might be the best defensive guard he's ever had. Frank...is not that yet, nor ever will be.

True, Frank hasn't played against much competition this season so far but we always knew he'd be really good if he could get his in-game shooting on point.

Doesn't matter if we're playing Colgate or Duke, if he's open, he needs to hit shots with regularity and so far he is. If he keeps it up, he'll be one of the top guards in the country because that's all he's missing. The other skills needed to be an elite guard, he has. This doesn't mean he's elite yet but it does mean he possesses the capability to be elite.

The biggest loss was, by far, Kenny Anderson. You add Anderson to that team we had in 1990, SU wins it all. Instead, we had Stevie Thompson play out of position at PG. We had no natural distributor on the floor.
Sam Bowie,Sam Perkins,King Rice to name a few

We lost Jamal Mashburn to none other than UK back when Pitino was the head coach there. We went after the Monster Mash very hard. :( Also lost guard Wayne Turner to UK as well...

PeteCalvin said:

Dude, we had Michael Edwards.

It seems like Boeheim was right about the examples he did give, but omitted many more over 40 years that would counter his point. For example, if Thomas Bryant had been there last year, he might have helped in some games. Obokoh wasn't even an option.

I think Coach was just trying to put a talking point/conversation to bed because he ultimately views it as completely unproductive. And it's understandable that he's too busy anyway, year in and year out, to pine away for the one that got away.

Maybe that Philly pipeline is played out. But there's Ontario. Shhh!

How long before a 6'5" legitimate PG begins to hit people's draft boards?

Not sure the height matters now like it did in the 90s. Look at most of the top PGs...Curry, Paul, Lillard, Irving, Thomas, Walker, etc. None of them are tall, all are quick and can shoot. Westbrook is the only tall top PG, along with guys being moved from other positions like Harden or Giannis - who is a whole different animal.

We lost Jamal Mashburn to none other than UK back when Pitino was the head coach there. We went after the Monster Mash very hard. :( Also lost guard Wayne Turner to UK as well...

Was Mashburn another causality of the recruiting sanctions that helped cost us Donyell Marshall and Jalen Rose? He was around that same time period.

Anderson, Coleman, and Owens...we would have had 3 of the top 10 (at the least) players in the country. Plus Thompson. Unfair. I think that team is better than UNLV, who was one of the better champions of all time.

Not sure the height matters now like it did in the 90s. Look at most of the top PGs...Curry, Paul, Lillard, Irving, Thomas, Walker, etc. None of them are tall, all are quick and can shoot. Westbrook is the only tall top PG, along with guys being moved from other positions like Harden or Giannis - who is a whole different animal.

Irving and Lillard are 6'3",

Anderson, Coleman, and Owens...we would have had 3 of the top 10 (at the least) players in the country. Plus Thompson. Unfair. I think that team is better than UNLV, who was one of the better champions of all time.

Agreed, Tark had a team for the AGES there. It's still amazing, and in retrospect disgusting(to me), that K was able to prevent a title defense. I used to love a team that lived up to it's nickname, and back then I really enjoyed that they had players that would sometimes literally roar(not like Katy Perry either, isnt she one of those people who lied about moving to Canada and left us all with bl** balls for doing so, like with other worse celebrities?). If I recall correctly, that's back when we fielded teams that on any given day/night could have at least given them an ineresting game. Insert "Those Were The Days" theme song from All In The Family, a show that could open folks' minds without being a$$h0lish about it, unlike the the majority of hollywood crap these days. Just wanted to say I watched it in syndication, before I get written off as over the hill. :) I should have saved this post for the main board, but oh well.

I like FH as much as the next person here, but I won't jump to conclusions based on the results of a few cupcake games...

Losing Donyell Marshall to UCONN was a pretty big deal. Not hurting Cuse as much but helping the Huskies and the run they went on in the late 90's and 2000's.

Kenny Anderson was a much bigger loss than Starbury or Quade because of the roster Cuse had at the time.

Yea but only because hes a cuse guard

Hes got the height and size, and hes made incredible frosh to soph jump which is the key i think

Howard looks like a lottery pick today, morons.

Howard looks like a lottery pick today, morons.
You are a class act calling someone else a moron,especially when the player in question has 2 non-fouls (touch) called on him in open court.

You are a class act calling someone else a moron,especially when the player in question has 2 non-fouls (touch) called on him in open court.

Nah it's just the chicken little CUSE fans have the whole team leaving early because they looked good against holy cross.

Well, if I'm a top recruit and I see Battle sitting on the bench I don't think I go to Syracuse.

At this point Battle probably wishes he was in Michigan.

Well, if I'm a top recruit and I see Battle sitting on the bench I don't think I go to Syracuse.

He would be sitting behind Walton and Irvin there. Still haven't seen him so anything except make 3 pointers.

Weirdly negative comment. You think JB is intentionally not playing his best players? You want him to play every highly rated freshmen 30 minutes a game to keep up recruiting appearances? Your anti-JB agenda is so tired.

Weirdly negative comment. You think JB is intentionally not playing his best players? You want him to play every highly rated freshmen 30 minutes a game to keep up recruiting appearances? Your anti-JB agenda is so tired.

You're clueless.

ScCar manhandled Michigan just like they did SU. I doubt his Wolverine experience would have been more enjoyable up to this point.

speaking of michigan and ones who got away how about mateen cleaves ? i asked him on the radio one time and he said we were real close second.
ed obannon and rudy gay also come to mind.

You're clueless.

Clueless? Name one coach, just one, in the entire country who plays guys who aren't ready just to show recruits they should come to his place. Coaches want to win, duh. That's what attracts recruits and, oh btw, keeps coaches employed. You think we lost recruits because Dion and MCW, RAK, or even Fab for that matter didn't play much in their first years? Look again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom