JB's Presser

arbitragegls

All Conference
Very low key and calm...accepting almost of the loss. Key points:
1. Not sure players let large "stage" bother them
2. Maybe tried too hard (to make shots)
3. Defense was really good in first half
4. Defense had some down plays in the second half
5. Porter is a very good player; otherwise the rest of GT played poorly...like we did
6. BT did not have a good game
And then there was this: "No difference; just like other games we have lost this year: WE COULD NOT MAKE A BASKET"

MY TAKE:
We have a team that is 22-5 and is 10-4 in BE with by end of year will have had the most difficult schedule in the BE (GT twice-Louisville twice) and a potential nightmare ending to regular season against very tough opponents. HOWEVER, WINNING % IS OVER 80%--any qualms with that???

So we are going into the Big Dance with an 8 out of 10 chance of winning every game as long as we shoot the ball just OKAY--I will say that again: IF we shoot the ball okay our defense will carry 'Cuse far...I will take those odds.

So we are going into the Big Dance with an 8 out of 10 chance of winning every game as long as we shoot the ball just OKAY--I will say that again: IF we shoot the ball okay our defense will carry 'Cuse far...I will take those odds.[/quote]
1. Not sure players let large "stage" bother them
2. Maybe tried too hard (to make shots)
3. Defense was really good in first half
4. Defense had some down plays in the second half
5. Porter is a very good player; otherwise the rest of GT played poorly...like we did
6. BT did not have a good game
And then there was this: "No difference; just like other games we have lost this year: WE COULD NOT MAKE A BASKET"

MY TAKE:
We have a team that is 22-5 and is 10-4 in BE with by end of year will have had the most difficult schedule in the BE (GT twice-Louisville twice) and a potential nightmare ending to regular season against very tough opponents. HOWEVER, WINNING % IS OVER 80%--any qualms with that???

So we are going into the Big Dance with an 8 out of 10 chance of winning every game as long as we shoot the ball just OKAY--I will say that again: IF we shoot the ball okay our defense will carry 'Cuse far...I will take those odds.

I do not see us shooting the ball well enough to win 6 straight games.

I do not see us shooting the ball well enough to win 6 straight games.[/quote]

I dont either but at this point you cant change what we have and who we are.

This tournament will be so wide open this year. It honestly would not surprise me to see no #1 seeds make it to atlanta or all the #1 seeds make it.

Regardless of what seed we are who we play and how they play will dictate how far we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother said it during the game: The team was trying to bring down the house with every single shot in the first half. Should have been a 10-point lead going into intermission.

My brother said it during the game: The team was trying to bring down the house with every single shot in the first half. Should have been a 10-point lead going into intermission.

I was hoping our seniors would calm us down..but they were the ones throwing up 30 footer after 30 footer...

I was hoping our seniors would calm us down..but they were the ones throwing up 30 footer after 30 footer...
MCW said in his post game presser that when James/Triche/Fair aren't having their best days he has to shoot more...ekk.

MCW said in his post game presser that when James/Triche/Fair aren't having their best days he has to shoot more...ekk.

For a guy talking such a big game, MCW sure looked tentative out there... scared to drive, scared to shoot.

For a guy talking such a big game, MCW sure looked tentative out there... scared to drive, scared to shoot.
Yeah I thought he took a little shot at the shooters there saying "I was tryiing to get into the gaps and hit the shooters, but we weren't making shots today".

Frankly we aren't going to win many games if MCW takes 15 shots, I'd rather have Triche, Southerland and Fair keep chucking.

This game meant a lot to JB - he said so. You can tell it hurt him a bit.

We knew coming into this game that Porter was the one guy we had to stop and yet they ran basically the same play 70% of the game where they ran it out to him with about 5-7 seconds left on the clock after overloading the zone. Perplexing.

We knew coming into this game that Porter was the one guy we had to stop and yet they ran basically the same play 70% of the game where they ran it out to him with about 5-7 seconds left on the clock after overloading the zone. Perplexing.
GTown was 7/35 from the field and 2/15 from 3 if you take away Porter's stats. How we let one guy drop 33 when no one else on his team is making a shot I have no idea.

Triche mentioned sometimes they "lost him" because he kept moving. What?

Triche lost porter a lot when he turned his back to face the guard driving under the hoop.

I'll say this: this team could lose second round or make the final four. I'll be equally unsurprised either way.

Unfortunately, I think we are a S16 team. It gets tough to win when you can't score, and when (if? ;)) we flame out in the tournament, it will most likely be a replica to the temple/uconn/gtown games.

Triche lost porter a lot when he turned his back to face the guard driving under the hoop.

I'll say this: this team could lose second round or make the final four. I'll be equally unsurprised either way.

Unfortunately, I think we are a S16 team. It gets tough to win when you can't score, and when (if? ;)) we flame out in the tournament, it will most likely be a replica to the temple/uconn/gtown games.
It's all about matchups. If Southerland hits his 3s and BT can shoot about 48% from the field, we'll make it to at least the Elite 8.
The zone is really good this year so that in itself should get us to the S16.

It's all about matchups. If Southerland hits his 3s and BT can shoot about 48% from the field, we'll make it to at least the Elite 8.
The zone is really good this year so that in itself should get us to the S16.

"Should" never applies in March.

We pass up good shots for worse shots a lot. Fair and triche do it 10-20 times a game

Using your 80% logic, there would be a 41% chance to get to FF and 26% chance of winning NC. Of course, the problem is that the 80% logic is totally flawed. Syracuse is closer to a .500 - .600 record against likely tournament teams. So if we have a 60% chance of winning every game, our chances are 13% FF and 5% NC which is probably about right.

I do not see us shooting the ball well enough to win 6 straight games.

I dont either but at this point you cant change what we have and who we are.

This tournament will be so wide open this year. It honestly would not surprise me to see no #1 seeds make it to atlanta or all the #1 seeds make it.

Regardless of what seed we are who we play and how they play will dictate how far we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yup. I agree.

If we shoot well, we can beat anyone.

If we don't shoot well, we have to hope that the other team also has a really bad day.

And it is especially worrisome when our so-called main guy has a tendency to put up 0-5 and 1-7 numbers from 3 with disturbing regularity. 1-19 from 3 against Pitt, UConn and G'town. Ouch.

Not really a recipe for winning 6 straight. I can see us in Atlanta. I can also see us going home the first weekend.

Replace "we" with Triche.

When/If Triche has a bad game is when Syracuse will exit the Tourney. If Triche scores 20 every game in March, this team wins the National Championship.

Keep your fingers crossed we don't draw any teams that play zone defense. Many teams don't. Hope that BT shoots the ball well for a few games before he has another "can't hit anything" game which he certainly will. Be realistic, it's unlikely this team could play 5-6 good games in row against top competition, it's just too offensively challenged.

GTown was 7/35 from the field and 2/15 from 3 if you take away Porter's stats. How we let one guy drop 33 when no one else on his team is making a shot I have no idea.

Triche mentioned sometimes they "lost him" because he kept moving. What?
Hahahaha, no he did not say that!? Someone tell him that just because our guys don't move around on offense doesn't make it illegal, you do have to figure out how to defend that wild concept.

When/If Triche has a bad game is when Syracuse will exit the Tourney. If Triche scores 20 every game in March, this team wins the National Championship.

Agree 100%. Our bigs aren't the key to a deep run. Mcw isn't the key to a deep run. CJ and dirty aren't the keys to a deep run. Obviously it would help if everyone plays well, but you pretty much know what you're gonna get from those guys. With triche, who the hell knows. If he plays like he did against rutgers and seton hall and louisville and arkansas we can and probably will beat anyone. If we get the triche against uconn and gtown we can and probably will lose to anyone.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

This game meant a lot to JB - he said so. You can tell it hurt him a bit.

Then someone should tell JB that he needed to motivate his guys to play with confidence and aggression and swagger, not like we were lucky to be there and we'll react to whatever Georgetown does and let them dictate the play while we sit back on our hands and our heels and hope our off-balance thirty footers go in.

That's not possible.

After 4 years of Triche we know this:

1. When he's good, he looks like one of the best players in the nation.

2. When he disappears, we often lose (if we are playing a quality opponent).

The myth of BT as a go-to player that can carry this team in the clutch when needed was alive and well going into this year (many thinking his senior season would be the season he puts it all together and reaches that potential).

Reality is he is not that player, and while he may have all the tools to be that player, he can't put it all together consistently (for whatever unknown or complex reasons.)

Actually, CJ Fair is closer to being "that" player for us at this point...

Never understood the expectations of Triche. He is what he is. A good player that steps up sometimes, but dissapears at other times. Kid was only a 3 star recruit not a burger boy. He is what he is and I wouldn't bet our march chances on him. I think these expectations started when Bilas said that Triche was the best player on our team. Comments like that mean nothing. Bobby Knight said that Kjo could be player of the year his senior year in 09-10.

You are probably right. I didn't replace "we" with "Triche" because you could overcome a bad game from Triche if Southerland goes off.

But with Southerland being such a stand-still shooter and teams really keying on him, the reality is that we probably go home the day Triche really struggles from the field...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom