JB's slide rule was broken today | Syracusefan.com

JB's slide rule was broken today

I can't believe we let them roll the ball up and didn't contest it at all. So many times.
All one defender has to do is take one jab step towards the ball. Cumulatively, not doing so added about 30-40 seconds to playing time.

Completely agree, I was screaming at the TV. Why would you allow a team to have more time? I would like to hear what the JB defenders have to say about this. I can't see any way that it benefits syracuse

It was a puzzling move. I would think most players would come up on their own - strange to see them let roll well past half-court a couple times.

It works better when you play man2man. Rule #1 when playing Nova. If you leave your place in the zone at crunch time, someone buries a three from your spot.

It's not that hard, occupy a forward position so they have to play the ball, quickly move back into position. Off ball players cut off the passing lanes until that's done.

Besides, as I said in another thread, the fact they did it more than once is on the coach.

It's not that hard, occupy a forward position so they have to play the ball, quickly move back into position. Off ball players cut off the passing lanes until that's done.

Besides, as I said in another thread, the fact they did it more than once is on the coach.
They make a quick pass and you're toast. You might get away with it once if the guy bringing it up doesn't have someone near half court to pass to. If he does, bang, bang, three.

I've never said anything like "you can't question the HOF coach" but I'm guessing he's thought about this a little over the years.

They make a quick pass and you're toast. You might get away with it once if the guy bringing it up doesn't have someone near half court to pass to. If he does, bang, bang, three.

I've never said anything like "you can't question the HOF coach" but I'm guessing he's thought about this a little over the years.

There is no "quick pass" the length of the floor. As I said, off ball players play kitty by the door on those passing lanes. And I agree he's thought about his decision, I just don't agree with that decision. :)

It wasn't good coaching. Why would you allow them to have extra time on the clock? I think you can quickly put Joseph in the backcourt and he's athletic enough to run back quickly on e defense. You have 2 nova a players in the backcourt with 4 syracuse players defending the rim. Very easy decision.

There is no "quick pass" the length of the floor. As I said, off ball players play kitty by the door on those passing lanes. And I agree he's thought about his decision, I just don't agree with that decision. :)
That's why they'd need someone near half court. Would take about two seconds for two passes to get the ball to someone on the perimeter.

That's why they'd need someone near half court. Would take about two seconds for two passes to get the ball to someone on the perimeter.
No that's not the case. SU would have 4 players to Villanova having 3. So just by numbers it wouldn't be easier.

No that's not the case. SU would have 4 players to Villanova having 3. So just by numbers it wouldn't be easier.
Exactly! That's the beauty of the zone. It doesn't matter how many there are, it's where they are.

So one time Cooney comes out a little farther into the perimeter and they score (layup but they also could have taken a wide-open three) in no time. It would have taken them more time if he stayed back.

What syracuse did was allow them to inbound the ball from half court multiple times. That's just indefensible

So SU can never apply even minimal token pressure to a team bringing the ball up and be able to get back into their zone? Got it.

So SU can never apply even minimal token pressure to a team bringing the ball up and be able to get back into their zone? Got it.
Pretty much. And token pressure doesn't usually do it. You usually have to commit to get the guy to pick it up. At least, from what I've seen.

Pretty much. And token pressure doesn't usually do it. You usually have to commit to get the guy to pick it up. At least, from what I've seen.
One quick jab step and the guy picks it up. One jab step 60 feet from the basket does not screw up your zone.

Serious? you have 4-3 on the back-side? Why would you give up an open shot by guarding the ball and forcing them to run 5 secs off the clock per possession (not to mention the shot clock)?

I swear Syracuse fans (and I'm one of them) act like there's one way to play basketball and ours is it, and if you dare to criticize you're toast.

This was actually a well-coached game, especially in the first half. Needed another capable big because Nova has experience up front and our guys pick up fouls (why we do that and others don't is not allowed discussion so I'll shelve that).

Refs were a major factor throughout.

Rak's fouling tendencies can't be blamed on JB…but we also need to have guys ready to play.

As opposed to the no seconds and no passes it took to get the ball to the perimeter?

It was a puzzling move. I would think most players would come up on their own - strange to see them let roll well past half-court a couple times.
Our guys have obviously been told NOT to come up and just allow the other team to roll it up. Mind boggling.

Who is going to ask JB about this strategy? You Lt. Weinberg? The questioner's death, while tragic ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom