JC Shurburtt NYC recruiting report..free...Wayne Morgan take included | Syracusefan.com

JC Shurburtt NYC recruiting report..free...Wayne Morgan take included

Nice... "Look out for Syracuse and Connecticut in the recruitment of four-star Wayne Morgan."

Interesting take on these two:

Rujel Henry, DE/DT (Class of 2013): The 6-foot-4, 230-pound Henry moves around pretty well. He has a long frame, long arms, is active with his hands and plays tough. Henry also is a standout in the classroom with a 3.0 grade point average. His frame could easily carry 275-plus pounds of good weight during college, so there’s a chance he could slide inside on defense. He also plays tackle on offense and could be an offensive lineman. He likes Syracuse early.

Shaquell Jackson, RB/S (Class of 2012): The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Jackson has been timed as fast as 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He’s a talented high school running back, but a heavy-hitter on defense and that may be where he finds a home in college. Maryland and Syracuse have been showing interest, but no offers.

What is the consensus opinion on WM? Safety? I think he will be returning kicks when DG graduates (granted he comes here). He seems like a special player with the ball in his hands. Maybe Doug lines him up in the slot?

I would be shocked if SU doesn't get Wayne. HCDM has made him #1 priority while others have backed off (including the team twenty miles southwest of Erasmus Hall).

The author posted this comment below the article:

-I said this in the article, but I expect him to end up at Syracuse or Connecticut unless another school comes back in on him. I also think he will be an impact player at either program from the day he steps foot on campus

Key is the word "back". So, what school has been interested but has backed off? Please don't tell me Rutgers.

He had a Michigan offer early, but he waited and they got commitments from 2 3-star and a 4-star (10th rated overall) safeties and the rumor was they filled that need and pulled his offer. Don't know about other schools.

he hasn't looked good this season at all. he also didn't perform well in any camps he attended this summer. that doesn't mean he isn't a good player. he has shown flashes and is a well put together kid.

there are people who have been very well connected to the Tri-State football scene for over thirty years who feel Stacey Bedell is a better prospect at this point.

That being said, Morgan's upside is probably higher. It would be a good PR coup should Morgan commit to the Cuse. However, it does appear at this time that if he did it would be because some of the other "sexier" schools have backed off.

I guess nova found a diamond in the rough then.

Didn't Morgan shut down Cornelius?

I find it hard to get a handle on NYS prospects. If you look at Scout's ratings, this year seems leaner than last. But some of that has to be due to the relative paucity of recruiting analysts in the northeast. Obviously, there is less overall talent than other regions, but there may be a greater chance of finding under-the-radar players. It must be just as tough for college coaches.

I find it hard to get a handle on NYS prospects. If you look at Scout's ratings, this year seems leaner than last. But some of that has to be due to the relative paucity of recruiting analysts in the northeast. Obviously, there is less overall talent than other regions, but there may be a greater chance of finding under-the-radar players. It must be just as tough for college coaches.

I honestly thought that Cornelius was going to be a 4-star guy that we had to battle to the very end for, and would be another chance for Marrone to lock up that big local name. So I definitely agree.

Strategy question. Would it be wise to offer Wayne the chance to play RB? Now that we may have a chance at getting back in it with Lynch I don't like the idea as much as I originally did, but it's still something I have been thinking about. His speed looks awesome, he is already well put together, and has experience with the ball in his hands. Would such an offer help land him? Could we put the full court press on Omeally as another lanky Florida CB now that Morgan wouldn't come in at that position? Thoughts?