Jeff Goodman had his feelings hurt | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Goodman had his feelings hurt

djcon57

Living Legend
Actually his column is valid and correct in many places:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-as-ever-but-no-hard-feelings-here-toward-him

But this:
Who will step up and get this team together? That was my question -- and it was a valid one.
Just as the ones ESPN's Andy Katz likely asked Boeheim more than a year ago in New York shortly after the Bernie Fine news broke, the ones that triggered Boeheim to refer to Katz as both an "idiot" and "disloyal."

I mean...come on...

Look that wasn't a question at all. Unless you consider, "Have you stopped beating your wife" a valid question.

Who will step up and get this team together? is a statement by the reporter. What he is saying or implying is that the team lacks a leader and is not "together". He was trying to get Boeheim to buy into the thesis.

Just because it was asked as a question doesn't mean it was one. When you ask a real question there has to be an expectation that the person can actually answer it. In this case, there wasn't and the reporter knows it and Boeheim knows it.

What logical, intelligent person doesn't know that Boeheim is not going to answer it? First, by answering it he gives credence to the assumption tha underlies it (i.e. The team lacks leadership and is not together) Second, he cannot without throwing his team or members of his team under the bus.

This reporter is a fraud.

Look that wasn't a question at all. Unless you consider, "Have you stopped beating your wife" a valid question.

Who will step up and get this team together? is a statement by the reporter. What he is saying or implying is that the team lacks a leader and is not "together". He was trying to get Boeheim to buy into the thesis.

Just because it was asked as a question doesn't mean it was one. When you ask a real question there has to be an expectation that the person can actually answer it. In this case, there wasn't and the reporter knows it and Boeheim knows it.

What logical, intelligent person doesn't know that Boeheim is not going to answer it? First, by answering it he gives credence to the assumption tha underlies it (i.e. The team lacks leadership and is not together) Second, he cannot without throwing his team or members of his team under the bus.

Oh please. It was a legitimate question about the importance of leadership. And Goodman is absolutely right in that it's a serious concern with this team.

Why shouldn't Boeheim answer it? All he has to do is share his opinion as to how important leadership is to a basketball team, followed by either a "we have leaders on this team who will step up" or "we are struggling right now to find leaders." That's it.

Certainly, a valid argument/point. Though, I don't necessarily agree that it bares the 'fraud' label.

Oh please. It was a legitimate question about the importance of leadership. And Goodman is absolutely right in that it's a serious concern with this team.

Why shouldn't Boeheim answer it? All he has to do is share his opinion as to how important leadership is to a basketball team, followed by either a "we have leaders on this team who will step up" or "we are struggling right now to find leaders." That's it.
Really? On what basis do you question leadership. The question assumed facts not in evidence. Properly done, the question could have Ben posesd as " are there snub concerns about leadership and if so, who do you expect to step into/assume/take on that roll"? Phrased as it proffered here, it's a BS gotcha question.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Don't have much respect for Goodman, he's a blowhard.

It's simple, Jim didn't answer the question because there is no leader on this team and he didn't want to throw anyone under the bus. The thing that caught my eye in that article but something we can all tell is the quote

"There was virtually no communication between the players on the court. No one was talking. Carter-Williams made attempts, but it didn't always appear that his efforts were well-received by his teammates."

Not surprising, but you know its seriouse when a national reporter notices it Courtside. We watch this team all year, but a national reporter doesn't and still noticed it enough to mention it. It's been clear for a while there is not a lot of chemistry on this team. This quote just confirms what we have all believed.

Townie's arguments lately remind me of ones made about Joe Paterno.
no matter the team and or sport there's always a degree of sycophantic homerism, we're no different.

Cut him some slack. He's still a little sore after his royal decrees about Rutgers and Maryland never going to the B1G were wrong.

Cut him some slack. He's still a little sore after his royal decrees about Rutgers and Maryland never going to the B1G were wrong.

Not so fast. One of my Terp Club buddies told me that the Maryland leadership had no idea how much this was going to upset the biggest fans and that they may use the $50M exit fee decision to crawfish back out.

That's because you are mis-reading them.

What has changed is Boeheim's willingness to answer stupid questions and his tolerance of reporters fishing for big stories that just aren't there.

He's not going to engage reporters in conversations that he doesn't think they'll understand. (e.g. coaching tactics)

And he isn't going to answer questions that imply a lack of leadership and that's what he meant about them going for a Pulitzer..

Goodman laughed it off if you read the article and said no hard feelings.

Boeheim isn't going to answer it because he has been artfully dodging questions like this with meaningless pap for 40 years and he's sick of doing it. And that's what you appear to be recommending.

Ever watch the Sunday political talk shows where reporters try for hours to get politicians to say something newsworthy and the politicians dodge and weave and end up giving them the current set of talking points?

The reporters in these Boeheim news conferences are playing the same game ... That's what JB's "Pulitzer" comment was about.

JB --- much to his credit, I think --- is refusing to play the game.

Boeheim answers intelligent questions that aren't loaded. These days he sticks those attempts at loaded questions back up their azz. Halleujah. Than God someone has the guts to do it.

JB's the blowhard. His shtick is getting old

People are making too big a deal about it. He is who he is and has been like this for his entire time here. I could care less what the national media thinks of him. He has the respect of every coach in the country and I listed to what they have to say about him as opposed to sports writers who want the quote of the year.

People are making too big a deal about it. He is who he is and has been like this for his entire time here. I could care less what the national media thinks of him. He has the respect of every coach in the country and I listed to what they have to say about him as opposed to sports writers who want the quote of the year.

I disagree - he's been worse the last 10 years or so - he's looking for confrontation. It's getting tiresome.

I disagree - he's been worse the last 10 years or so - he's looking for confrontation. It's getting tiresome.

He's not looking for a confrontation. He has always protected players and coaches and that is exactly what he did here. Why give him a quote on who our go to guy is or lack there of? Sure he could have answered it differently but he didnt. I think its hysterical how people are getting bent out of shape over stuff like this. It obviously isnt affecting recruiting and players wanting to come here given our successes on the recruiting trail.

I think people (especially those who live out of state) are more embarrassed and afraid people are going to laugh at them because the coach of their team made some snide comments. People locally (at least the ones I associate with) could care less.

Yep he is who he is and is not going to change. This is nothing new. I agree it was a valid question and JB probably got p'd off because he knows it. As far as this team's leadership imo it's because once again a role is being forced on Brandon Triche that he is just not equipped to handle. He is a 4 year starter and there should be no question who the leader of this team is. I truly wish that Brandon was the player JB has always said he could be.

Yep he is who he is and is not going to change. This is nothing new. I agree it was a valid question and JB probably got p'd off because he knows it. As far as this team's leadership imo it's because once again a role is being forced on Brandon Triche that he is just not equipped to handle. He is a 4 year starter and there should be no question who the leader of this team is. I truly wish that Brandon was the player JB has always said he could be.
triche is being 'forced into a role' because MCW is ill-equiped to handle the point. MCW is the team problem, his lack of growth is killing the squad.

aside from a few monster dunks when he beats inferior competition, the big east season has been a disaster for him.

hes the head of the SU snake, and teams effectively cut it off game in and game out. JB then asks triche to raise his floor, and he just cant do it. its not his fault, thats the player he is. and when the board annoited lottery pick is sucking mooseballs everynight, coupled with fair not moving on offense enough, you get what we see...L's.

He's not looking for a confrontation. He has always protected players and coaches and that is exactly what he did here. Why give him a quote on who our go to guy is or lack there of? Sure he could have answered it differently but he didnt. I think its hysterical how people are getting bent out of shape over stuff like this. It obviously isnt affecting recruiting and players wanting to come here given our successes on the recruiting trail.

I think people (especially those who live out of state) are more embarrassed and afraid people are going to laugh at them because the coach of their team made some snide comments. People locally (at least the ones I associate with) could care less.

I disagree - he's looking for confrontation. If you don't ask the questions he want to answer, he takes his basketball and leaves. He's acting like a three year old.

Here's a response: Simply put we have multiple go to guys, If Brandon is open take it, if Michael can drive, drive. We have a lot of talent and we got to any of 3 or 4 guys depending the personnel on the floor at the time.

But that's not the point, the question asked on any particular night is not the point. he's pugnacious and confrontation with the press lately.

exactly. It's an extremely flawed team and JB knows it, he'd have to throw players under the bus to answer a lot of the questions and he's not going to do it. It's got to annoy the hell out of him - and of course he's pissed to begin with because they just lost.

The perimeter shooting has been so lackluster -- except for James Southerland and role player Trevor Cooney

The above quote alone tells me Goodman has no clue whatsoever about Syracuse basketball.

JB answered the question about leadership very calmly and matter of factly. He was dismissive with a student who was trying to tell him how to use his players. So what?

Accusations of childishness and confrontational behavior are completely overblown. I suspect these are coming from people who didn't bother to watch the presser.

Have some of you tried emailing JB those nice little scripts you've written for him?

Boeheim isn't going to answer it because he has been artfully dodging questions like this with meaningless pap for 40 years and he's sick of doing it. And that's what you appear to be recommending.

Ever watch the Sunday political talk shows where reporters try for hours to get politicians to say something newsworthy and the politicians dodge and weave and end up giving them the current set of talking points?

The reporters in these Boeheim news conferences are playing the same game ... That's what JB's "Pulitzer" comment was about.

JB --- much to his credit, I think --- is refusing to play the game.

Boeheim answers intelligent questions that aren't loaded. These days he sticks those attempts at loaded questions back up their azz. Halleujah. Than God someone has the guts to do it.

I don't buy it. At all. It was a simple freakin' question.

"How important is it having a leader right now when you're going through this tough stretch, having a guy that can step forward, a guy that can take over?"

Boeheim can easily answer that without throwing his players under the bus or being a dick to reporters. Either say "It's very important, our leaders will step up going forward" or "It's not important at all - extremely overrated." And move on to the next question.

I love Boeheim and could care less about this Goodman guy. My only point is the question itself - it was a fair question. Maybe Boeheim reacted the way he did because he's sensitive to the assertion that this team is completely devoid of any type of leader because it's true.

Accusations of childishness and confrontational behavior are completely overblown. I suspect these are coming from people who didn't bother to watch the presser.

I watched the presser. You don't have to yell to be smarmy.