Jeff Goodman had his feelings hurt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Goodman had his feelings hurt

Actually his column is valid and correct in many places:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-as-ever-but-no-hard-feelings-here-toward-him

But this:
Who will step up and get this team together? That was my question -- and it was a valid one.
Just as the ones ESPN's Andy Katz likely asked Boeheim more than a year ago in New York shortly after the Bernie Fine news broke, the ones that triggered Boeheim to refer to Katz as both an "idiot" and "disloyal."

I mean...come on...

I think the problem is that Goodman's question followed up Cohen's question. Cohen's question was the bad one that set him off. "Do you think Coleman could have helped?" Oh, why didn't I think of that! I don't blame JB at all for his response to that kind of question.

Goodman is bad timing. And that's the way it goes with JB sometimes. Gets your name out there if you're Goodman so be happy. And grow a set for the love of God. The people who asked Bobby Knight postgame questions in his heyday are rolling over in their graves. Even if they're still alive.

I don't buy it. At all. It was a simple freakin' question.

Boeheim can easily answer that without throwing his players under the bus or being a dick to reporters. Either say "It's very important, our leaders will step up going forward" or "It's not important at all - extremely overrated." And move on to the next question.

I love Boeheim and could care less about this Goodman guy. My only point is the question itself - it was a fair question. Maybe Boeheim reacted the way he did because he's sensitive to the assertion that this team is completely devoid of any type of leader because it's true.

Let's assume that what you say is correct. That the team lacks a leader.

What you are recommending is the same sort of political non-answer we are used to hearing.

What I am saying is that I think Boeheim is tired of that silly game and that he is no longer interested in playing it.

And I think that's great. It's absolutely great! I wish more people had the balls to do it. I wish American sports and American politics weren't so full of "spin" or lies. I think it takes guys like JB to stop spinning, to stop lying and to show people just what these reporters are trying to do. This is about creating controversy and selling papers as a result and not any search for the truth or for asking questions that fans would like to ask.

I always liked Boeheim ... even before he upgraded his wardrobe. I thought he was 100% loyal to SU which is a rarity. I thought he worked incredibly hard. I thought he was an honest guy ... but maybe a little too gullible. If anything these forays against the press, starting with the Gerry MacNamara "not 10 games" session have enhanced his stature in my eyes.

Let's assume that what you say is correct. That the team lacks a leader.

What you are recommending is the same sort of political non-answer we are used to hearing.

What I am saying is that I think Boeheim is tired of that silly game and that he is no longer interested in playing it.

And I think that's great. It's absolutely great! I wish more people had the balls to do it. I wish American sports and American politics weren't so full of "spin" or lies. I think it takes guys like JB to stop spinning, to stop lying and to show people just what these reporters are trying to do. This is about creating controversy and selling papers as a result and not any search for the truth or for asking questions that fans would like to ask.

I always liked Boeheim ... even before he upgraded his wardrobe. I thought he was 100% loyal to SU which is a rarity. I thought he worked incredibly hard. I thought he was an honest guy ... but maybe a little too gullible. If anything these forays against the press, starting with the Gerry MacNamara "not 10 games" session have enhanced his stature in my eyes.

That's a really good point. I'm also tired of seeing robots in front of tv cameras.

I don't mind Boeheim's PC's for the most part and I'm good with his brutal honesty. I just cringe a bit at his sensitivity to every single question. And the bottom line is I think Goodman's question (and the points he makes in his column) was just fine.

I think the problem is that Goodman's question followed up Cohen's question. Cohen's question was the bad one that set him off. "Do you think Coleman could have helped?" Oh, why didn't I think of that! I don't blame JB at all for his response to that kind of question.

Goodman is bad timing. And that's the way it goes with JB sometimes. Gets your name out there if you're Goodman so be happy. And grow a set for the love of God. The people who asked Bobby Knight postgame questions in his heyday are rolling over in their graves. Even if they're still alive.
Good post, Chip.

Look, the whole thing is about tolerance for suffering fools. Knight had little of it. JB's has disappeared over the years. I can't blame either one.

At the same time, I can appreciate someone who is the master of the press interview. My current hero is Orioles Manager, Buck Showalter, who has done 1000's of these due to the 162 game season. He talks through the press to the fans. He elevates the mundane press questions into opportunities to express his philosophy.

The fact that JB doesn't have the skill set or the inclination isn't a black mark on Jim.

Boeheim can easily answer that without throwing his players under the bus or being a dick to reporters. Either say "It's very important, our leaders will step up going forward" or "It's not important at all - extremely overrated." And move on to the next question.
How is this being a dick? Keeping in mind he wasn't being nasty, yelling, bullying or any of the other silly-assed things he's being accused of here.

"I don't even understand that," Boeheim said of my question. "You think because you come to Marquette and lose a three-point game you need a new guy? I don't."

triche is being 'forced into a role' because MCW is ill-equiped to handle the point. MCW is the team problem, his lack of growth is killing the squad.

aside from a few monster dunks when he beats inferior competition, the big east season has been a disaster for him.

hes the head of the SU snake, and teams effectively cut it off game in and game out. JB then asks triche to raise his floor, and he just cant do it. its not his fault, thats the player he is. and when the board annoited lottery pick is sucking mooseballs everynight, coupled with fair not moving on offense enough, you get what we see...L's.

Oh Man, is that great. The "board annoited lottery pick".

I don't know where MCW will go in the draft. But he is not Dion Waiters, I can guarantee you that.

It took a while this season, but how to stop SU is pretty well understood now. Don't allow MCW to drive. Keep Fair from getting the ball inside. Watch for BT kicking the ball back to Southerland at the top of the key. Ice the champagne.

How is this being a dick? Keeping in mind he wasn't being nasty, yelling, bullying or any of the other silly-assed things he's being accused of here.

"I don't even understand that," Boeheim said of my question. "You think because you come to Marquette and lose a three-point game you need a new guy? I don't."

You must have missed the 5 minute rant that followed that sentence. :)

Also, if you read what Goodman asked - he was not suggesting getting "a new guy."

Look, if people don't mind Boeheim being a d___ then that's cool. I don't mind 99% of the time. But let's be honest about it at least. That's exactly what he was on Monday night. Which is fine. It's when he rants after legitimate questions that I scratch my head, but Townie is right about PC robots and how refreshing it is that JB isn't one.

You must have missed the 5 minute rant that followed that sentence. :)
For a full 3.5 minutes after that sentence he continues to answer Goodman in a very civilized manner. He scolded the student again after that. Let's get him on Oprah and make him say he's sorry.

For a full 3.5 minutes after that sentence he continues to answer Goodman in a very civilized manner. He scolded the student again after that. Let's get him on Oprah and make him say he's sorry.

Yes, yes. Whatever we do, we can't hurt anyone's feelings.

Equal playing time, trophies and juice boxes for everyone. And let's not keep score, either. There are, afterall, no losers.

Who said he should apologize?

goodmans question was fine. jb can answer how he wants. goodman laughed it off and said no hard feelings. i am sure jb has forgotten about it. fans get more bothered by this stuff.

goodmans question was fine. jb can answer how he wants. goodman laughed it off and said no hard feelings. i am sure jb has forgotten about it. fans get more bothered by this stuff.

Yep. So much overreaction in this thread.