Jeff Nixon "The 315" 6-20-24 | Syracusefan.com

Jeff Nixon "The 315" 6-20-24

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse football offensive coordinator and RBs coach Jeff Nixon joins Brian Higgins to discuss his journey to taking to job with SU, his relationships with different players on the team, some of his expectations for the offense, and more..

Such an impressive group of coaches. I like how many of them have been together at 2 or 3 jobs before, know each other for 5-10 years.

I enjoy and am comforted that Coach Nixon has been on the staff with George DeLeone three times before. Fran Brown wasn't just "name checking" our past when he mentioned P&D at his first presser, there are some legitimate connections between these coaches. Coach Nixon talking about being flexible and doing what we need to do to win was good. His "balanced attack" talk was right out of the P&D script.

It wasn't like "we're going to impose this style". It was more like NFL game planning - "we'll look to exploit areas where we think we have an advantage" - whether that's pass happy one week, or smash mouth the next depends on the opponent. We're just looking to win. They want to be able to play both ways. I really like that.

I have to admit, during the fallout of Coach Babers’ dismissal, the hiring of Coach Brown, and the subsequent hirings of so many assistants, I was discouraged and stopped even reading about the assistants. This interview is my first real exposure to Coach Nixon. I like the guy.

I’m very interested in what offense we actually run. I assume lots of power runs and some play action passes but not sure. It won’t be a gimmick offense I highly doubt.

Such an impressive group of coaches. I like how many of them have been together at 2 or 3 jobs before, know each other for 5-10 years.

I enjoy and am comforted that Coach Nixon has been on the staff with George DeLeone three times before. Fran Brown wasn't just "name checking" our past when he mentioned P&D at his first presser, there are some legitimate connections between these coaches. Coach Nixon talking about being flexible and doing what we need to do to win was good. His "balanced attack" talk was right out of the P&D script.

It wasn't like "we're going to impose this style". It was more like NFL game planning - "we'll look to exploit areas where we think we have an advantage" - whether that's pass happy one week, or smash mouth the next depends on the opponent. We're just looking to win. They want to be able to play both ways. I really like that.

There were some elements that were Marrone-esque.

Saying is one thing. Doing is another. But there is a distinct lack of preciousness that is enticing and suggests we will be smart not just recruiting savvy.

Man...14 years coaching pros..!!?? Gotta believe he has seen it all.
He made a statement..."What I want out of the QB position....".
The man KNOWS what is needed.
Finally, described Allen as a complete running back...leader...hard worker..great hands.

CUSE gonna burn some lights out on the scoreboard this year!

First of all, isn't it great to have a head coach who promotes his staff, allows them the opportunity to be heard and recognized. Dino had many solid traits, but his paranoia certainly wasn't one of them. Why would he alienate the alums, lock down the assistant coaches? Control freak? Who knows but the I really respect Fran for promoting his coaches.

As for Nixon not much detail other than I like the fact the OG was getting half the reps in the spring and his glowing appraisal of LG. This team has more weapons than anytime since coach P days and i get the sense they will all be used.
70 days and we get to see for ourselves although I get the sense Fran and clan will hold back a few treats for GT.

First of all, isn't it great to have a head coach who promotes his staff, allows them the opportunity to be heard and recognized. Dino had many solid traits, but his paranoia certainly wasn't one of them. Why would he alienate the alums, lock down the assistant coaches? Control freak? Who knows but the I really respect Fran for promoting his coaches.

As for Nixon not much detail other than I like the fact the OG was getting half the reps in the spring and his glowing appraisal of LG. This team has more weapons than anytime since coach P days and i get the sense they will all be used.
70 days and we get to see for ourselves although I get the sense Fran and clan will hold back a few treats for GT.
Dino was a major control freak. Love what Fran is doing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom