Jerami Grant needs a nickname | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant needs a nickname

Artificially imposed nicknames never work - good nicknames just happen.

I'm going to post my ideas and favorites so far and I won't feel guilty about it either :). To whoever said he has one and these won't work... Bah Humbug! People with multiple groups of friends have multiple nicknames. Also it's not like he's on here hanging out with us, we do this for our own enjoyment.

Without further ado my favorite...

"The Trilogy" or Trilogy: "A trilogy is a set of three works of art that are connected, and that can be seen either as a single work or as three individual works." I don't count Notre Dame sorry to the brother.

AND:

"The Third" or "The 3rd"
3G
3Pete
StretchBurger
TripleStack
SilkBurger
The Future
"Doc Brown"

Or
"Doc"
"Doc-3"
BackToTheFuture
ToThe3rd

And Finally:
SmoothBurger
3rdBurger
QuadStack
PhD-3

MooLoin
MooChop
MooBurger or MooMooBurger

How about "Federal Grant" -- he makes the most with the opportunity he's given.-VBOF

That was just to get the thread going. Looks like it worked......for most people. :p

Somebody has to think of it. And then other have to like it. It's like a "tradition". They need to be pushed along a bit to have the necessary momentum.

I don't know about a nickname, but I will say this - he is the first player here since Melo to have a respectable outside touch, but then have the ability to spin, put the ball on the floor, elevate with purpose, and finish with authority. He may not shoot as well or have a floor game as good as Melo, but he is more athletic and quicker. It's early yet, but I see some James Worthy in him.

I'm hoping JB gives him the green light to continue to be aggressive offensively. One of my pet peeves about SU basketball is that the players have always been tentative and afraid to make aggressive moves to the basket. Few players if any are allowed to play with swagger and confidence, as in "I'm going to break you down, jump as high as I can, and attack the rim, and you can't stop me." Grant has the tools to develop into that kind of player, and the pedigree to back it up. I hope he gets to that level.

I don't know about a nickname, but I will say this - he is the first player here since Melo to have a respectable outside touch, but then have the ability to spin, put the ball on the floor, elevate with purpose, and finish with authority. He may not shoot as well or have a floor game as good as Melo, but he is more athletic and quicker. It's early yet, but I see some James Worthy in him.

I'm hoping JB gives him the green light to continue to be aggressive offensively. One of my pet peeves about SU basketball is that the players have always been tentative and afraid to make aggressive moves to the basket. Few players if any are allowed to play with swagger and confidence, as in "I'm going to break you down, jump as high as I can, and attack the rim, and you can't stop me." Grant has the tools to develop into that kind of player, and the pedigree to back it up. I hope he gets to that level.

If somebody's consistently good at something, they are allowed to do it here.

If somebody's consistently good at something, they are allowed to do it here.
I respectfully disagree. JB develops his players to play like he did - cerebral and reserved, risk-averse. One manifestation of this is that we typically do not start games well. JB does not like his players to get fired up like other teams do. And rarely does one see an SU player shoot unconsciously or attack the basket with abandon. We always revert to playing as if we don't want to make a mistake - aiming our shots, getting to spots a step late on defense because we are thinking too much. That does not make for optimal basketball.

I respectfully disagree. JB develops his players to play like he did - cerebral and reserved, risk-averse. One manifestation of this is that we typically do not start games well. JB does not like his players to get fired up like other teams do. And rarely does one see an SU player shoot unconsciously or attack the basket with abandon. We always revert to playing as if we don't want to make a mistake - aiming our shots, getting to spots a step late on defense because we are thinking too much. That does not make for optimal basketball.
All due respect but I have no idea what type of SU bball you've been watching all these years.
One universal aspect of JB's teams has always been that he allows his players, once he trusts them, to pretty much dictate how they play. We've had numerous players who, once they've shown an ability, are given free rein.
Now, obviously he doesn't want some hot-shot coming in and free-wheeling at the expense of team basketball, but to suggest he overly "restricts" his players is off-base, IMO.

Our average quarterly splits this year:
19-13, 18-11.5, 21-14, 23-17
and last year:
19-13, 19-12, 21-14, 22-16

While each of the proposed nicknames that include burger or references to burgers bring me great personal joy, I submit the following:

Legoland.

Because Grant has all the pieces fitting together.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Whoa, there. That hardly sounds like the method of a coach who has won ~75% of his games, and is closing in on 900 wins.

Um, really? How long have you been watching SU? Playing down to opponents, throwing unnecessary oops, forcing passes, etc. Is the opposite of risk averse. One of the last adjectives I would use to describe SU hoops is cerebral.

Making them play his defense, sure. But JB doesn't really have an offense besides letting them play.

Um, really? How long have you been watching SU? Playing down to opponents, throwing unnecessary oops, forcing passes, etc. Is the opposite of risk averse. One of the last adjectives I would use to describe SU hoops is cerebral.

Making them play his defense, sure. But JB doesn't really have an offense besides letting them play.

As far as how long I've been watching SU, suffice it to say I've been watching SU since Dave Bing was JB's teammate - along with Richie Cornwall, George Hicker, Vaughn Harper, and Rick Dean. Ah, the unique smell of Manley Field House, with its dirt floor. JJ Jackson singing "It's All Right" while Harper did his Globetrotter thing wearing an orange beret. Coach Fred Lewis, and Joel Mareiniss on WSYR 570 AM.

And my use of "cerebral" does not necessarily equate with "smart". It means they think too much, instead of playing by instinct. I will agree with you that "JB doesn't really have an offense besides letting them play", but as individuals, they have to play his way, and that often leads to "playing down to opponents, throwing unnecessary oops, forcing passes" because they aren't playing with confidence and swagger. One term you have NEVER heard in association with JB's teams is "killer instinct". Because JB doesn't coach it, doesn't promote it, and arguably, doesn't even allow it. It's part of his upbringing - he comes from a family of funeral directors. Very reserved, professional, meticulous, compassionate. All great qualities for a person, and a coach. But he is not a passionate killer, like Coach K, or Bobby Knight, or Calipari. IMHO.

We see the same symptoms, but our opinions differ as to the cause.

As far as how long I've been watching SU, suffice it to say I've been watching SU since Dave Bing was JB's teammate - along with Richie Cornwall, George Hicker, Vaughn Harper, and Rick Dean. Ah, the unique smell of Manley Field House, with its dirt floor. JJ Jackson singing "It's All Right" while Harper did his Globetrotter thing wearing an orange beret. Coach Fred Lewis, and Joel Mareiniss on WSYR 570 AM.

And my use of "cerebral" does not necessarily equate with "smart". It means they think too much, instead of playing by instinct. I will agree with you that "JB doesn't really have an offense besides letting them play", but as individuals, they have to play his way, and that often leads to "playing down to opponents, throwing unnecessary oops, forcing passes" because they aren't playing with confidence and swagger. One term you have NEVER heard in association with JB's teams is "killer instinct". Because JB doesn't coach it, doesn't promote it, and arguably, doesn't even allow it. It's part of his upbringing - he comes from a family of funeral directors. Very reserved, professional, meticulous, compassionate. All great qualities for a person, and a coach. But he is not a passionate killer, like Coach K, or Bobby Knight, or Calipari. IMHO.

Unbelieveable.

I suggest you read this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0QEN6ZT9KQNHNPJVE41V

Wow.
So, because JB "comes from a family of funeral directors", the assumption is it somehow restricts his players' "killer instinct", because they are "forced to play his way", ie; "reserved, professional, meticulous, and the absolute mind-boggler...COMPASSIONATE"?
Really?
confused movie star.gif

Jerami "Greenback" Grant - ref to Grant on the $50...also money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom