Jesse | Syracusefan.com

Jesse

Cuseball

Starter
Since we have numerous Boeheim threads and some on Joe let’s talk Jesse. Last night against Colgate we all saw how far he is from being a dominant player. The effort was lacking and his lack of strength was exposed against the Colgate bigs. All this talk of him being NBA ready can stop. I like Etan but it might be better if he rips Jesse a bit and challenges him to get better and much stronger. He needs to develop some semblance of a shot outside five feet, get much stronger and play with intensity every game. Good player but a lot more development needed.

Cuse!

Someone else called it out previously, but his turns away from the basket to the baseline were justmind boggling. I think he even spun himself out of bounds once

Might help to have him being coached by someone who wasn’t a point guard.
[Cue the Bernie ‘God’ Fine chorus….]

Part of the problem is that we don’t have any semblance of a scheme that might exploit what he can do. And if he does something brilliant, you’ll only see it once, because the team IQ doesn’t recognize that it should consistently try to exploit an advantage.

Beats me why Jesse doesn’t shoot a 10-footer, faced-up. No reason why a skilled big has to always shoot at the rim. Doesn’t seem to be our team philosophy. Sidibe was a nice mid-range shooter in high school. He prolly took a handful of those at Syracuse. It’s nutty/nonsensical. Remember JBA in high school? And then suddenly he was being groomed to play the 5? What the hell. All the supposed Boeheim genius can be matched with failed headscratchers.

I‘m 6’3” and I endorse this message.

Jesse can turn over his left should but can’t turn over his right shoulder. He’s off balance every time he tries to pivot on his right foot.

Might help to have him being coached by someone who wasn’t a point guard.
[Cue the Bernie ‘God’ Fine chorus….]

Part of the problem is that we don’t have any semblance of a scheme that might exploit what he can do. And if he does something brilliant, you’ll only see it once, because the team IQ doesn’t recognize that it should consistently try to exploit an advantage.

Beats me why Jesse doesn’t shoot a 10-footer, faced-up. No reason why a skilled big has to always shoot at the rim. Doesn’t seem to be our team philosophy. Sidibe was a nice mid-range shooter in high school. He prolly took a handful of those at Syracuse. It’s nutty/nonsensical. Remember JBA in high school? And then suddenly he was being groomed to play the 5? What the hell. All the supposed Boeheim genius can be matched with failed headscratchers.

I‘m 6’3” and I endorse this message.
I get why a coach wouldn’t want to take short range jump shots, they’re not high percentage shots. Well that is until I think about the worse shots and overall disgusting offense that is the alternative on this team…

Someone else called it out previously, but his turns away from the basket to the baseline were justmind boggling. I think he even spun himself out of bounds once

He did. It was awful.

He's trying to show off for the NBA.

And failing.

Benny and Jesse are trying to showcase what they think the NBA wants from them when they need to do what's in their wheel house. Jesse doesn't need to be on the block going over left or right with a baby hook. He can be a rim runner and weak side defensive force. Benny needs to be above the rim and switchable defender.

They are both on the wrong tracks.

He did. It was awful.

And failing.

Benny and Jesse are trying to showcase what they think the NBA wants from them when they need to do what's in their wheel house. Jesse doesn't need to be on the block going over left or right with a baby hook. He can be a rim runner and weak side defensive force. Benny needs to be above the rim and switchable defender.

Sherman Douglas would have been up in their grills telling them exactly where to be. Of course, he would be able to feed the ball to them where they would be most effective, as well.

Last year apparently we were on the precipice of a late season tourney push until Jesse got hurt. Then we couldn't win without him.

Now he stinks, apparently.

It cracks me up.

Sherman Douglas would have been up in their grills telling them exactly where to be. Of course, he would be able to feed the ball to them where they would be most effective, as well.

I have limited patience for a guy that refuses to set good picks and then calls for the ball immediately after doing so, every single time and then gets poor position, then is indecisive when he gets it on the block.

Be a rim runner, act fast when you get the ball, keep your hands up and be ready.

You aren't a guy to throw to on the block 27 times a game.

I have limited patience for a guy that refuses to set good picks and then calls for the ball immediately after doing so, every single time and then gets poor position, then is indecisive when he gets it on the block.

Be a rim runner, act fast when you get the ball, keep your hands up and be ready.

You aren't a guy to throw to on the block 27 times a game.
I agree about his picks, but how is he being taught to pick? Where is he most effective? Does anyone on the team know? Do they know how to feed him there? Jesse could be a great asset, but it doesn't appear that anyone knows how to use him properly.

Jesse and Joe would have been great 6th or 7th guys on our good teams. Jesse is probably the best example of player development we've had in a long time, but it isn't fair to put crazy expectations on him.

I agree about his picks, but how is he being taught to pick? Where is he most effective? Does anyone on the team know? Do they know how to feed him there? Jesse could be a great asset, but it doesn't appear that anyone knows how to use him properly.
All fair questions. I would say Joe is good at getting him the ball.

Also, I'm being hard on Jesse because he's supposed to be all conference level. If that's the case, he needs to be tight across the board.

He did. It was awful.

And failing.

While this is all true, I feel his biggest weakness, which I hope can still get better, is he has bad/weak hands. Too many times he seems to not catch a ball or rebound cleanly and sometimes just fumbles it around. Maybe he has small hands for a big man?

While this is all true, I feel his biggest weakness, which I hope can still get better, is he has bad/weak hands. Too many times he seems to not catch a ball or rebound cleanly and sometimes just fumbles it around. Maybe he has small hands for a big man?

I think that's a fair criticism and maybe not securing the ball easily is why he's taking a beat too long on the block? Not sure about hand size, but can def see that it might be.

I don't want to bash the kid, I just need to see more from a kid that has an all conference ceiling. Note about the hands is legit.

Also, my harping on his screening is that when you poorly screen, you leave your teammates in the lurch, and it's usually Joe or Judah. And all of a sudden those two have the ball in hand as the clock's ticking down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom