Class of 2015 - Jessie Govan... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Jessie Govan...

I like this kid. He has good hands. It looks like he's good a offensive game and he's HUGE. He would be a great person to get to round out the 2015 class.

Body type wise reminds me of Jeremy McNeil... More ahead offensively though...

Tom and I had him on the top of our four man wish list. The kid just killed the others with his stats against the same competition.

Is this a good sign that we have a big locked up for 2015?

Really liked this kid. Had a hunch he'd choose Georgetown.

Cuse'91 said:
Is this a good sign that we have a big locked up for 2015?

We offered Govan, so nothing is a sure thing.

Saw some videos on him... Take him GTOWN and best of luck... id much rather get Diagne, respectfully

Saw some videos on him... Take him GTOWN and best of luck... id much rather get Diagne, respectfully
Could you please explain what it is about Diagne that you like better than Gowan?

Gown's numbers against what I'm assuming was the same competition blows the others away.

Jessie Govan 4 games-17.7PPG, 55% FG 27-49 overall, 6.2RPG, 89% FT 17-19 overall.

What seems to be everyone's first choice (he's a tease)

Thomas Bryant 4 games-6.7PPG, 48% FG 12-25 overall, 4.7RPG, 1.5BPG.

Most folks 2nd choice

Moustapha Diagne 4 games-8.2PPG, 58% FG 14-24 overall, 6RPG, 1.2BPG, 35% FT 5-14 overall.

The third choice

Georgios Papagiannis 4 games-9.7PPG, 52% FG 19-36 overall, 6.2RPG, 2.2BPG

Govan seemed to be a pretty high priority of UCONN. My sense is that he was the top big name for Ollie.

Maybe the NC opened some new doors and priorities changed or maybe Georgetown out-recruited UCONN.
Maybe Ollie's magic is wearing off already. But I can't believe any 18 year old still falls for that GT Big Man U nonsense. Most of their glory players are old men now.

I am disappointed that he chose to become a Hoya. I did not think he had great athleticism, but I liked his ruggedness and skillset. He certainly seems to have AO or RJ type of potential and his game seemed like a cross between the two of them. I am tired of the"athetic" projects playing in the middle. I want a kid with smoothness, strength,and skills. Bryant and Diagne both seem to have skills and I would be thrilled with either one, but I also liked JG & I would not have been disappointed if he was the one. I am , though, very disappointed the race is over when we just seemed to be arriving at the starting line. I guess that is on the staff for not getting on this kid way earlier. Staff has been great overall, but this could be a big miss on a NY kid.

Could you please explain what it is about Diagne that you like better than Gowan?

Gown's numbers against what I'm assuming was the same competition blows the others away.

Jessie Govan 4 games-17.7PPG, 55% FG 27-49 overall, 6.2RPG, 89% FT 17-19 overall.

What seems to be everyone's first choice (he's a tease)

Thomas Bryant 4 games-6.7PPG, 48% FG 12-25 overall, 4.7RPG, 1.5BPG.

Most folks 2nd choice

Moustapha Diagne 4 games-8.2PPG, 58% FG 14-24 overall, 6RPG, 1.2BPG, 35% FT 5-14 overall.

The third choice

Georgios Papagiannis 4 games-9.7PPG, 52% FG 19-36 overall, 6.2RPG, 2.2BPG
Govan's numbers are impressive but it's tough to compare to others when Govan has the luxury of being his AAU team #1 option because he's mainly playing alongside a lot of low-mid major types, while the other big men are on loaded teams talent wise and are probably the 4th-5th option on those teams when it comes to scoring. Diagne for example plays with Isaiah Briscoe, Temple Gibbs, Myles Powell, and two other high-major guards who take a lot of shots. He only gets scoring opportunities off put backs and finishes at the rim. In HS where he was the #1 option he averaged 17ppg and 13rpg. Bryant plays along with Cheick Diallo, Tyus Battle, and several other high-major guards as well. Not enough touches to go around for him to put up impressive numbers but he always has an impact on the game that the stats doesn't show. Why most fans love him is because of the intangibles that he'll bring overall. He can do a little bit of everything on the floor and most importantly he's a high character kid that is a leader and a good teammate.

Govan's numbers are impressive but it's tough to compare to others when Govan has the luxury of being his AAU team #1 option because he's mainly playing alongside a lot of low-mid major types, while the other big men are on loaded teams talent wise and are probably the 4th-5th option on those teams when it comes to scoring. Diagne for example plays with Isaiah Briscoe, Temple Gibbs, Myles Powell, and two other high-major guards who take a lot of shots. He only gets scoring opportunities off put backs and finishes at the rim. In HS where he was the #1 option he averaged 17ppg and 13rpg. Bryant plays along with Cheick Diallo, Tyus Battle, and several other high-major guards as well. Not enough touches to go around for him to put up impressive numbers but he always has an impact on the game that the stats doesn't show. Why most fans love him is because of the intangibles that he'll bring overall. He can do a little bit of everything on the floor and most importantly he's a high character kid that is a leader and a good teammate.

The Hoyas have a REALLY nice class of forwards coming in for 2015. Even Malachi commented:

KingMali ‏@SwaggyMali23 4h
Gtown got 3 bigs already how that's gone work

Not to mention that:
1) it is about projection. Recruiting isn't all about the player you are now, it is about the player you can potentially be
and
2) citing the numbers of a 4 game sample size is essentially meaningless. Drawing any kind of meaningful conclusions over 4 games in a weekend (or whatever it was) is deceptive.

leftytg said:
Not to mention that: 1) it is about projection. Recruiting isn't all about the player you are now, it is about the player you can potentially be and 2) citing the numbers of a 4 game sample size is essentially meaningless. Drawing any kind of meaningful conclusions over 4 games in a weekend (or whatever it was) is deceptive.

I just think we got in late here and missed the boat. Has nothing to do with projections. I'm willing to bet that Govan turns out to be more productive than any center we get. We have a habit of targeting kids early and staying with a few prime prospects to the end. It means we're generally going to miss out on late bloomers and sleepers. Just the way it is.

FWIW, according to someone whose evaluation skills I trust when it comes to SU.

Bryant
Papa
Diagne
Govan

So if I'm reading between the lines does that mean when you said we got the one we want and were supposed to get a commit that it was Bryant not Diagne?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom