JG3 gets it done | Syracusefan.com

JG3 gets it done

SWC75

Bored Historian
I tuned into the streaming video of the Class B title game to check out Joe Girard III. he had 42 points at the time but his team was down 59-60. he made nothing but bad plays until the final seconds of regulation: the forced shots from long range with a double-team in his face and no thought to get his teammates involved, that's how you score 42 of 59 points), two bad passes leading to turnovers and a charging foul. he did get fouled and made a couple of free throws but his big moment came when GF inbounded the ball to Joe whose teammates had made a "picket fence" in front of him and he hit a three to tie it and send it into overtime.

In the overtime, not only did he have a hard time getting a shot but the coach strangely kept pulling him out on defense. I wondered if he was in foul trouble or a lousy defensive players but the announcer didn't mention foul trouble and did say that it was the first time he hadn't been on the court during the tournament. he got a couple more free throws and was fouled again with 5 seconds left and his team down by 2. he made the first and (I believe) intentionally missed the second, then ran in to tip the ball in for the winner but there was a lane violation, (probably Joe himself). the coach again took Joe out - with no time outs left. There was an offensive foul on the inbounds play, (looked like a flop). But somehow the rules said that Girard could not come back in under those circumstances. The inbounds pass was tipped and , in the battle for it, a Lowville player got control of the ball but fell out of bounds. GF ball and now, according to the rules, Girard could come back in. They set up the picket fence again but the Lowville players slipped through it before the inbounds pass. Two guys confronted Girard and he ran around them to the baseline, beat them there, got the inbounds pass and slipped by another defender to put in the lay-up for the state title. 52 points.

My first reaction is that this kid is going to have to learn the team concept to play for JB. But, of course, he'll have a team around him here. Joe is the 'team' for Glens Falls. Some of those shots he was taking and some of those errant passes would get him a seat next to JB, although I recall that Jim was much more tolerant of GMAC's misfires because he was so productive otherwise.
I still have no idea why his coach was taking him out of the game for the few seconds it would take to foul. Girard didn't sit down so he got no rest out of it. I didn't notice him doing anything special on defense although he did get a couple of rebounds. Being a football player, he's well built and could help us get some of those long rebounds we always seem to miss. he can score off the dribble and has great range on his jump shot but the team concept is going to be a sea change for him. it was interesting that he wanted to miss that free and tip it in one down with 5 seconds to instead of just sinking it and going into OT. They'd been down or tied the whole I was watching and I don't think he trusted his team to win it in a second overtime.. He was taller than most of the Class B players in the game but he's not a JB size guard. he's basically their point guard, bringing the ball up but he's looking to set himself up as he is their entire offense. He may not be quick as in full-out speed or lateral defense but with the ball he can go in short bursts to get free and he has a good jab-step and side dribble to get open.

Next year will be interesting...

There was a good running commentary by several people in his thread on the recruiting board.

My first reaction is that this kid is going to have to learn the team concept to play for JB. But, of course, he'll have a team around him here. Joe is the 'team' for Glens Falls.
teen wolf

and yes, next year will be interesting. i would not be surprised in the least if this kid works through the apparent guard depth and makes the rotation

I tuned into the streaming video of the Class B title game to check out Joe Girard III. he had 42 points at the time but his team was down 59-60. he made nothing but bad plays until the final seconds of regulation: the forced shots from long range with a double-team in his face and no thought to get his teammates involved, that's how you score 42 of 59 points), two bad passes leading to turnovers and a charging foul. he did get fouled and made a couple of free throws but his big moment came when GF inbounded the ball to Joe whose teammates had made a "picket fence" in front of him and he hit a three to tie it and send it into overtime.

In the overtime, not only did he have a hard time getting a shot but the coach strangely kept pulling him out on defense. I wondered if he was in foul trouble or a lousy defensive players but the announcer didn't mention foul trouble and did say that it was the first time he hadn't been on the court during the tournament. he got a couple more free throws and was fouled again with 5 seconds left and his team down by 2. he made the first and (I believe) intentionally missed the second, then ran in to tip the ball in for the winner but there was a lane violation, (probably Joe himself). the coach again took Joe out - with no time outs left. There was an offensive foul on the inbounds play, (looked like a flop). But somehow the rules said that Girard could not come back in under those circumstances. The inbounds pass was tipped and , in the battle for it, a Lowville player got control of the ball but fell out of bounds. GF ball and now, according to the rules, Girard could come back in. They set up the picket fence again but the Lowville players slipped through it before the inbounds pass. Two guys confronted Girard and he ran around them to the baseline, beat them there, got the inbounds pass and slipped by another defender to put in the lay-up for the state title. 52 points.

My first reaction is that this kid is going to have to learn the team concept to play for JB. But, of course, he'll have a team around him here. Joe is the 'team' for Glens Falls. Some of those shots he was taking and some of those errant passes would get him a seat next to JB, although I recall that Jim was much more tolerant of GMAC's misfires because he was so productive otherwise.
I still have no idea why his coach was taking him out of the game for the few seconds it would take to foul. Girard didn't sit down so he got no rest out of it. I didn't notice him doing anything special on defense although he did get a couple of rebounds. Being a football player, he's well built and could help us get some of those long rebounds we always seem to miss. he can score off the dribble and has great range on his jump shot but the team concept is going to be a sea change for him. it was interesting that he wanted to miss that free and tip it in one down with 5 seconds to instead of just sinking it and going into OT. They'd been down or tied the whole I was watching and I don't think he trusted his team to win it in a second overtime.. He was taller than most of the Class B players in the game but he's not a JB size guard. he's basically their point guard, bringing the ball up but he's looking to set himself up as he is their entire offense. He may not be quick as in full-out speed or lateral defense but with the ball he can go in short bursts to get free and he has a good jab-step and side dribble to get open.

He will play point here as well, eventually.
It's HS. You want the best player taking shots.
He had, I believe, 9 assists in the semis.
He seems well liked by teammates.

He had 52 points. His coach took him out in the final minutes because they had to foul. Girard had four fouls. They were lucky at the end.

There was a good running commentary by several people in his thread on the recruiting board.

Thanks. I figured since he's committed I'd put it on the main board. I'll read that thread now.

For those concerned about how many shots he took, it’s hard to overstate the difference between NYS Class B and big time high school basketball. NY Class B features 6’0 centers, teams of kids whose best players top out as D3 basketball prospects, etc. What Girard did in AAU is a lot more indicative of how he will play here than what he does in high school, IMO.

“He’s a real down to earth guy, a great coach and that’s why I loved him and chose to play for him," Girard said. “I told him, ‘Hopefully we get four more (championships), for the next four years.’”

We love ya Jimmy!

Was at the game.

He was being pulled on defense because he had 4 fouls.

Definitely a score first PG. Good shooter/scorer off the dribble.

I’ve seen him play about 5 times now. I think it will be hard for him to crack rotation next year.

All in all the the NYSPHSAA tournament was great today. The Cooperstown game went into triple overtime, my nephews game in the D’s went to OT and they won, Glens Falls went into OT and West Genesee won the AA state title.

Last edited:
Was at the game.

He was being pulled on defense because he had 4 fouls.

Definitely a score first PG. Good shooter/scorer off the dribble.

I’ve seen him play about 5 times now. I think it will be hard for him to crack rotation next year.

All in all the the NYSPHSAA tournament was great today. The Cooperstown game went into triple overtime, my nephews game in the D’s went to OT and they won, Glens Falls went into OT and West Genessee won the AA state title.

My nephew is a senior on the West Genesee Class AA state Championship team - they and he have had a special season to remember!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom