Jim Boeheim, Jack McCallum to talk prostate cancer, 'Bleeding Orange' | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim, Jack McCallum to talk prostate cancer, 'Bleeding Orange'

CaptainJ said:
Does anyone else find this title somewhat troubling? I mean I know I'm not a professional write like Donna, or if she is too important to even be picking her own titles anymore, but I wanted to see if anyone else had a similar reaction when picturing the title in their mind. Am I just too sensitive? http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...te_cancer_bleeding_orange_on_sirius_radi.html

Titles?

You mean headline?

Writers don't write headlines.

Editors do.

Reporters don't write their headlines. And it's always been so.

Come on CTO, I know even you are hiding a grin behind that owl mask somewhere! I hit #2000 tonight, it feels like my birthday. I should be less out of control than last night night, but I felt like warning you in advance anyhow. It's like pre-season scrimmages to keep you on and I on our toes before the riff raff rolls in as the season begins. Just joking about the riff raff, of course.

Titles?

You mean headline?

Writers don't write headlines.

Editors do.

Hot dang, a tough and nitpicky crowd so far. I hope it doesn't ruin it for the rest of the crowd. I feel like the fan that heckled Kramer when he was doing standup must have felt!

Sweet goodness, it wasn't an attack on the DD's, it was a comment on the title folks. Get with it now! Where is the guy with the incredible hulk in his avatar. I might end up feeling like that in about 5 minutes here. ;)

Hot dang, a tough and nitpicky crowd so far. I hope it doesn't ruin it for the rest of the crowd. I feel like the fan that heckled Kramer when he was doing standup must have felt!

Sweet goodness, it wasn't an attack on the DD's, it was a comment on the title folks. Get with it now! Where is the guy with the incredible hulk in his avatar. I mend up feeling like that in about 5 minutes here. ;)
Cuseguy and I are former "ink-stained wretches," as the old saying goes. Speaking for myself, I am sure we have both been stung by editors who put bizarre headlines on articles we wrote.

cto said:
Reporters don't write their headlines. Editors do. And it's always been so.
Part of the reason I think journalism is so dumb

Everyone does it everyone thinks it's stupid but everyone keeps doing it

Cuseguy and I are former "ink-stained wretches," as the old saying goes. Speaking for myself, I am sure we have both been stung by editors who put bizarre headlines on articles we wrote.

I kind of would like to write for a living, but have no idea if I am good enough. Looking at some of what I read though, inspires me to think otherwise. Instead I spend my creativity on here trying to amuse y'all. If I ever were serious enough, do you have any recommendations on how to get started? I sometimes have difficulty knowing how to initiate new things and a lack of confidence from things I'd rather not talk about on a family board. Any help would be appreciated, even if you tell me it isn't worth it for me.

Part of the reason I think journalism is so dumb

Everyone does it everyone thinks it's stupid but everyone keeps doing it

Is it patriotism, or bondage to the almighty dollar? Or something else?

I kind of would like to write for a living, but have no idea if I am good enough. Looking at some of what I read though, inspires me to think otherwise. Instead I spend my creativity on here trying to amuse y'all. If I ever were serious enough, do you have any recommendations on how to get started? I sometimes have difficulty knowing how to initiate new things and a lack of confidence from things I'd rather not talk about on a family board. Any help would be appreciated, even if you tell me it isn't worth it for me.
My first recommendation would be to take News Writing 101 at Newhouse. That is literally how I started my career. People scoff at the idea... but a basic news writing course is the basis for all clear, succinct communication.

CaptainJ said:

Journalism is a tough biz nowadays. Don't mean to discourage you, but there's a limited number of jobs due to cutbacks.

My first recommendation would be to take News Writing 101 at Newhouse. That is literally how I started my career. People scoff at the idea... but a basic news writing course is the basis for all clear, succinct communication.

I hear you loud and clear.

However, what if I wanted to write about something other than news, aimed at a different segment of the audience in which I held less, if any, responsibility to?

Follow your heart! But fill your pocketbook, too. Any writing would have to be done "on the side." There are creative writing classes and teachers. CTO's advice is also worth considering. I have written a book that is half memoir, half fiction. I, too, like to make people laugh, so the book is humorous. I am revising one last time and then paying someone to read and see whether it is publishable. I understand I will never make money with this book, but it has been worth the journey for me.

Just begin. Open up a word document and start typing! Do not drink while you write. None of us are Hemingway.

BTW, I have begun Bleeding Orange and I am loving it! I want to give a little review and endorsement on this board when I finish it. But think about this: Boeheim begins the book by saying that he feels afraid every day.

if you want to write novels, i would suggest getting a day job. i have a friend who is a very successful YA author (harper collins, goes to a million conferences, etc) and even he has a day job to pay the bills.

If you're in to writing on the internet, you might want to try cracked.com and their writing workshop.