Jim Boeheim Post game presser... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim Post game presser...

I don't think this is fair. #1 he has proven he can shoot at a high level for 15 or so games (~50% fro the first half of the season), that seems pretty extended, and #2 he is the only true shooter that plays right now. We can't survive takin 95% 2-point shots and if somebody is going to take 3's it should be Cooney. The only adjustment I would make, which we saw a little of yesterday, is to not look to him as the #1 option on the break unless he is already hitting. Not only has that caused us to come away with zero points on many fast breask, it slows down our break as Ennis waits to see if he can get an open look for Cooney. Lots of times that doesn't materialize but Ennis has to pull the all out and cycle into the half-court O.

If I had the time I would like to compare 3 point shooting percentages of Cooney, Ennis, and CJ but exlude each player's two best games in the category so you eliminate the outlier performances. I bet COoney is not top of the list. shooting lights out in practice is great...but it doesn't win games. I just think people want him to be the 2nd coming and he's not. He's had some strong games, that's about it.

If I had the time I would like to compare 3 point shooting percentages of Cooney, Ennis, and CJ but exlude each player's two best games in the category so you eliminate the outlier performances. I bet COoney is not top of the list. shooting lights out in practice is great...but it doesn't win games. I just think people want him to be the 2nd coming and he's not. He's had some strong games, that's about it.
while you are doing those meaningless numbers, add in who the opposing team is defending from 3. Do you think that Ennis would have anywhere near the 3pt% of Cooney if he was guarded like Cooney? Or Fair as well. Cooney takes very tough 3 pt shots. One's that no one else on our team can even take. Let alone make. Does Cooney have to be much better for us to make a run? Of course. But to discuss Fair and ennis in the same sentence as him as a 3 pt shooter is plain wrong.

I don't think anyone expects him to be, let alone argue that he is, "the 2nd coming" - Cooney is what he is. And what he "is" is THE primary threat from 3. BTW, you might want to compare his percentages with McNamara's career numbers.

I think the point you are underestimating is that Cooney's threat, whether he is having an off nigh tor not, forces other teams to defend his shooting and to react/adjust to him coming off of multiple screens. The net effect of that type of attention is to increase potential options for other players, which improves the overall offensive efficiency of the team as a whole.

The fact is, as long as teams are still trying to limit his looks from 3. Cooney must keep shooting.

while you are doing those meaningless numbers, add in who the opposing team is defending from 3. Do you think that Ennis would have anywhere near the 3pt% of Cooney if he was guarded like Cooney? Or Fair as well. Cooney takes very tough 3 pt shots. One's that no one else on our team can even take. Let alone make. Does Cooney have to be much better for us to make a run? Of course. But to discuss Fair and ennis in the same sentence as him as a 3 pt shooter is plain wrong.
In understand your point and I agree that looking at it that way is too simple. During our losses and during the close games in which he played badly - there were to many possessions wasted by hoping he would get something going that's really my only point is tha there is too much emphasis on a piece of the puzzle that seems somewhat broken.

True. There was one play in the second half where Ennis received it at the top of the key, faked a pass to Cooney on the wing and the whole defense shifted. Ennis drove through a gaping hole in the lane and dumped it off to Jeremi (I believe) who got fouled. After just one or two makes, the defense will start to react.

I call them "Cooney assists". It's like a deep threat on a football team that only gets thrown two 4-5 times a game but that's enough to matter.