Jim Boeheim talked about UNC and wasn’t happy with the NCAA | Syracusefan.com

Jim Boeheim talked about UNC and wasn’t happy with the NCAA

th

Who cares what UNC fans think? JB is correct. It is an outrage that UNC got off so easily. I'm glad he called them on it.
The fans I know feel that Carolina got very very VERY lucky. They do not feel entitled. They feel relieved. I don’t think we can ever blame the fans for supporting their teams and loving their teams. Although I felt UNC deserved some sanctions, I felt very sorry for their fans and current players because they didn’t do the crime, yet often we fans and players serve the time. It’s crap! The whole NCAA overlord thing is crap.

I could be wrong but I thought that “lack of institutional control” excuse was because JB failed to enforce the school’s voluntary drug policy consistently. He was supposed to tell the parents every time a player failed a drug test, and he didn’t. I think he perhaps didn’t keep players off the court after every infraction as well? Someone can correct me. But for THAT reason he is dinged yet Carolina skates?

OMG, I’m getting mad all over again.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!

The fans I know feel that Carolina got very very VERY lucky. They do not feel entitled. They feel relieved. I don’t think we can ever blame the fans for supporting their teams and loving their teams. Although I felt UNC deserved some sanctions, I felt very sorry for their fans and current players because they didn’t do the crime, yet often we fans and players serve the time. It’s crap! The whole NCAA overlord thing is crap.

I could be wrong but I thought that “lack of institutional control” excuse was because JB failed to enforce the school’s voluntary drug policy consistently. He was supposed to tell the parents every time a player failed a drug test, and he didn’t. I think he perhaps didn’t keep players off the court after every infraction as well? Someone can correct me. But for THAT reason he is dinged yet Carolina skates?

Freaking marijuana. Legal in a state near you.

18 years of fake classes sure sounds like lack of institutional control to me.

They got NOTHING for 18 years of coruption, and in comparison we got blasted for so much less.
SU should do something, either alone or in a concerted effort w/ the P5, and honestly I have no idea what.
This arbitrary way of running things is like fricken' communism. At some point someone has to take on those corrupt idiots in Indy, it might as well be us!

They got NOTHING for 18 years of coruption, and in comparison we got blasted for so much less.
SU should do something, either alone or in a concerted effort w/ the P5, and honestly I have no idea what.
This arbitrary way of running things is like fricken' communism. At some point someone has to take on those corrupt idiots in Indy, it might as well be us!

How does a coach know that a class is legit or not when the entire student body is taking it? Can't see JB going into a class room or asking about courses someone is taking to see if it's legit.

I can see Roy being off the hook, but as a school I think penalties should be far greater than some NCAA violations and their accreditation should be in question.

How does a coach know that a class is legit or not when the entire student body is taking it? Can't see JB going into a class room or asking about courses someone is taking to see if it's legit.

I think this is JB's point. He was held responsible for non-legit work submitted by a player for a legit class. But UNC coaches are not held responsible for non-legit work submitted by players for a non-legit class?

I am definitely biased, but when I consider the two events at their simplest levels, the completely different rulings are absurd.

I can see Roy being off the hook, but as a school I think penalties should be far greater than some NCAA violations and their accreditation should be in question.

Wrong. So if Kissel had advised athletes to take courses then he nor JB would have been responsible? Athletic dept counselors at UNC steered athletes to these classes.
UNC investigation: Athletes pushed into fake classes by counselors

Love Boeheim when he’s right on something(which is often) and speaks his mind while most others wouldn’t. I love it even more when morons get all sensitive and fired up about it.

I may have misinterpreted. In the NCAA’s ruling against JB they used a rule they had just enacted saying that the coach has the responsibility to know yet allowed Roy in an even later ruling to skate. My point was the inconsistency.

That is the single biggest problem I have with the whole UNC thing. Williams can play the ignorant, "aw shucks, guys, I had no idea this was going on" card and get away with it. He knew EXACTLY what was going on. That country bumpkin routine is old and tired. Roy Williams is a very smart guy. He lied through his teeth, and everyone, including UNC fans, know it. He should be looking at an ACC suspension and at least one less title to his name. To see him try and defend himself and the program is laughable. Just admit that you knew and be the bigger man, coach.

Guess Kansas didn't cheat enough that he could win titles there. ;)

The fact that he didn't have wins vacated and JB did will always be a sore spot. The only way the NCAA can make this right is to reinstate JB's wins...because it's BS.

NCAA - North Carolina Athletic Association

I think one of the issues is that Kissel was on the staff as the director of ops and helped fab with the paper. UNC had counselor steer kids but the basketball staff wasn't doing it. Boeheim was responsible for Kissel even if he didn't know in the eyes of the NCAA. Roy isn't held responsible for people on the academic side. This really just comes down to the fact we are so bad at cheating it's unbelievable.

I think one of the issues is that Kissel was on the staff as the director of ops and helped fab with the paper. UNC had counselor steer kids but the basketball staff wasn't doing it. Boeheim was responsible for Kissel even if he didn't know in the eyes of the NCAA. Roy isn't held responsible for people on the academic side. This really just comes down to the fact we are so bad at cheating it's unbelievable.

They were athletic dept counselors.

Not to mention that they didn't cooperate, fired the whistle blower, and funded two (or was it 3?) white wash internal investigations. The cynic in me believes they intentionally let in an equal number of non-athletes just so they could point to that if they got caught.

At least it should be clear to everyone now, between this and the recent arrests, college BB is corrupt. It should also be said that the NCAA is corrupt because so many of its members are.

I hope some of these UNC fans criticizing JB show their faces here, so I can tear them apart. What a farce they are.
Someone on their board claimed jim beats Juli and someone else claimed Juli shoved their 72 year old mother into the ran. Let's just say they aren't dealing in facts.

That is a distinction without a difference (not criticizing you, personally Cherrie, and I know the SU athletic staff was implicated in our mini-violations). However, of equal Or greater concern (given the scale), is that the scam going on at UNC was perpetrated ON BEHALF of the athletic department. It doesn’t matter whether the scammers were AD employees or not. We got crucified for people “acting on behalf of [SU’s] athletic interests”. Boosters aren’t AD employees either, but they cheat on behalf of athletic programs. Cheating to keep scholarship atheletes eligible is still cheating even if you call yourself an “ethics” professor.

UNC blowhards should be wearing grocery bags on their heads at this point.

Last edited:
I understand that. I think our penalty was way to harsh and the NCAA are unethical fools and I hate how many rules unc and Duke and Kentucky break with no ramifications. They are the establishment we aren't. The NCAA I think still hates all the original big east schools because they didn't see us coming in the early 80's and we side swiped their cash cow.