Jim Calhoun tells SI he'll decide whether or not to step down in the next t | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Calhoun tells SI he'll decide whether or not to step down in the next t

Yep Calhoun knows the longer he waits the greater the chance that Ollie ends up the HC. We're at the point now where it's almost too close to the season to do a national search for a replacement; Manuel always wanted to scope the landscape for possible candidates but Calhoun was 100% on Ollie; they never saw eye-to-eye.

The question is now, if indeed Calhoun leaves and Ollie the replacement, does he get handed the job if he does well this year, or do they still conduct a HC search after the year?

It has absolutely affected recruiting.

One thing we know for certain - when JB hangs it up in the next few years and hands things over to Mike, he won't be leaving an empty roster and probation with no post-season. Ollie is starting with one hand tied behind his back. UConn is at risk of becoming UMass, if they aren't careful.

I believe JB and Hop will/have done this right but there has never been a great HC in college basketball retire without the transition being a complete disaster for the program! (let's hope we are the first) And what happens with Blaney does he stay on to assist Ollie? There seems to be very little preparation for this day.

Actually Blaney on the bench is very good planning. He's a very decent man, not a maniac, and has coached successful programs at Holy Cross and Seton Hall. He didn't tear it up at the Hall, but he was still a good coach, if no longer a great recruiter at this level. He's UConn's version of how Gene Keady, Pete Carill and guys like that have given X's and O's support or expertise to younger coaches. And he's no threat to take over the head coaching job; he's happy to play a supporting role at this point in his career and lends a certain stability.

Absolutely spot on what I'm hearing. The word is that Calhoun wants to spot Ollie a year with no pressure to make ncaas and limited expectations.

Good point. Glass half full point of view. Starting out with a mediocre squad isn't going to win him the job, though. Mike will likely be left with a much better hand to start his career as a head coach.

Actually Blaney on the bench is very good planning. He's a very decent man, not a maniac, and has coached successful programs at Holy Cross and Seton Hall. He didn't tear it up at the Hall, but he was still a good coach, if no longer a great recruiter at this level. He's UConn's version of how Lute Olsen, Pete Carill and guys like that have given X's and O's support or expertise to younger coaches.

I agree but is that a role that Blaney wants seems like he enjoys the HC chair. The coaches you mentioned retired and helped younger coaches they weren't leap frogged by them

Absolutely spot on what I'm hearing. The word is that Calhoun wants to spot Ollie a year with no pressure to make ncaas and limited expectations.

If UConn doesn't want Ollie they should get ahead of this and pull a power play. Fire Calhoun and do a national search now. Though its probably too late even now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If UConn doesn't want Ollie they should get ahead of this and pull a power play. Fire Calhoun and do a national search now. Though its probably too late even now.

They maybe be doing a search behind the scenes as we speak. If I were the AD I would have had a short list completed before the end of last year and would have been quietly working behind the scenes since JC fell. It's him simply doing his diligence at the very least.

Exactly. This would pretty much be a freebie year for Ollie to get his feet wet as the HC. Problem is, there is no guarantee that Ollie gets the full-time job next April even if he goes 25-8. Manuel will almost undoubtedly perform a nationwide search.

Manuel isn't too confident in Ollie right now and would like to look elsewhere, which is the opposite of what Calhoun wants. The way JC is playing it right now though it will give Ollie a free audition.

BTW, Blaney has 0 shot to get this job; he might get some "interim" games if Calhoun misses a few (although I think Ollie would get the nod on that).

UConn has not launched a search yet in any capacity.

UConn has not launched a search yet in any capacity.

How do we know that?

I agree . . . I think, hands down, he has been the best coach in the country over the last 20 years. I used to dislike because of his gruff demeanor and, of course, for the fact that he built a program that surpassed our Orange. But once I took up the challenge to examine the man's biography, it was hard not come to admire him as a person and, once that hurdle was passed, to step away from my fandom and to appreciate the quality of the coaching he has done.
This.
And the admiration is very mutual.
Jb has often said that Calhoun has done the greatest job of ALL TIME in building that UConn program from scratch.

I have to admit that when UConn came to prominence, I bought into the whole "Duke of the Northeast" business. Not only did he build the program from the ground up, he appeared, at least, to do it the right way. Okafor as a primary example, he seemed to recruit good kids, care about academics, and graduate his players. But I've always felt that after he won his second championship, he threw all of that out the window and became hell-bent on getting his third so he could be considered one of the greatest coaches of all time. I lost my respect for him then. And I literally still cannot believe that the Kemba Walker team won the national championship. The freaking national championship!

I thought this comment was particularly telling:

"Most of the violations [too many phone calls and text messages] aren't even violations any more," he says. "We've had three years of passing APR scores. We have the documentation. Unless you do something really big, the average person doesn't give a hoot. The fan wants to know, 'Coach how are we going to do this year?'

Nice rationalization, Jim. Go away.

Billy Gillispie may be available soon - I'd like to see him at Uconn, actually I won't care after Calhoun is gone.