Jim Delany : B1G could drop to DIII if O'Bannon suit beats NCAA | Syracusefan.com

Jim Delany : B1G could drop to DIII if O'Bannon suit beats NCAA

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...m-delany-ncaa-obannon/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

This article makes me want to offer my services to the O'Bannon group pro bono just to call that POS Delany's bluff. Delany is my most disliked individual in college sports and amicus in support of the NCAA is a joke. His logic its okay for Ohio State to sell 129.99 #2 Jerseys, and make millions off of Terrell Pryor but it isn't okay for him to get compensated for that. There is nothing wrong with NCAA athletes from sports that create revenue for the university to have a portion of the MILLIONs of the TV conference money and have it put in a trust with athletes getting a portion of that money under a certain number of standards. Your compensation could be contingent on a number of things like
1. Did you graduate? If you leave early you would forfeit your money
2. What sport did you play? The TV money comes from football and basketball and MAYBE Baseball, Lacrosse, Softball, or Women's Basketball.
By the way if this happens Rutgers will be used to these type of schedule already its their typical non-conference schedule.

I hope Ed O'Bannon wins.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...m-delany-ncaa-obannon/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

This article makes me want to offer my services to the O'Bannon group pro bono just to call that POS Delany's bluff. Delany is my most disliked individual in college sports and amicus in sport of the NCAA is a joke. His logic its okay for Ohio State to sell 129.99 #2 Jerseys, and make millions off of Terrell Pryor but it isn't okay for him to get compensated for that. There is nothing wrong with NCAA athletes from sports that create revenue for the university to have a portion of the MILLIONs of the TV conference money and have it put in a trust with athletes getting a portion of that money under a certain number of standards. Your compensation could be contingent on a number of things like
2. What sport did you play? The TV money comes from football and basketball and MAYBE Baseball, Lacrosse, Softball, or Women's Basketball.
By the way if this happens Rutgers will be used to these type of schedule already its their typical non-conference schedule.

I hope Ed O'Bannon wins.

According to that POS Delaney, the only people who should be able to get rich off of NCAA sports are the men who run the NCAA and its licensed affiliates. I'd love to see O'Bannon win his suit and the NCAA and its current models blown up, even though it would likely make things more difficult for Syracuse.

And this is a joke. The conference that will eventually distribute $40,000,000+ to its member schools will drop to D3 if its members only receive $20,000,000 and the student athletes receive the rest. BS. His position is so insanely disingenuous.

Does anyone here have any knowledge or opinion on the strength of the plaintiffs' case?

This article makes me want to offer my services to the O'Bannon group pro bono just to call that POS Delany's bluff. Delany is my most disliked individual in college sports and amicus in sport of the NCAA is a joke. His logic its okay for Ohio State to sell 129.99 #2 Jerseys, and make millions off of Terrell Pryor but it isn't okay for him to get compensated for that. There is nothing wrong with NCAA athletes from sports that create revenue for the university to have a portion of the MILLIONs of the TV conference money and have it put in a trust with athletes getting a portion of that money under a certain number of standards. Your compensation could be contingent on a number of things like

I hope Ed O'Bannon wins.
Why should they forfeit any money. Why not prevent the schools or NCAA from using a likeness UNLESS the player graduates.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

This article makes me want to offer my services to the O'Bannon group pro bono just to call that POS Delany's bluff. Delany is my most disliked individual in college sports and amicus in support of the NCAA is a joke. His logic its okay for Ohio State to sell 129.99 #2 Jerseys, and make millions off of Terrell Pryor but it isn't okay for him to get compensated for that. There is nothing wrong with NCAA athletes from sports that create revenue for the university to have a portion of the MILLIONs of the TV conference money and have it put in a trust with athletes getting a portion of that money under a certain number of standards. Your compensation could be contingent on a number of things like

I hope Ed O'Bannon wins.
It would be in everyone's long term interest to de-emphasize college and pro sports as a place to get to at the expense of true education and emphasize the development of the student.

Why should they forfeit any money. Why not prevent the schools or NCAA from using a likeness UNLESS the player graduates.

I am just trying to find a middle ground for the NCAA and the potential players. Players that leave early aren't going to need the hardship that the 4 year lineman, linebackers, running backs that sacrfice their bodies for their schools Somebody like Cody Catalina or Andrew Robinson would need the $$$$$ more than somebody like a Matt Stafford or Ben Roethislberger who left school early. Also, players that leave early would have a little incentive potential $$$ to stay and get a degree. Players that left early would atleast give the NCAA the facade that the athletes are student-athletes and leaving early without a degree would result in forfeiting any $$$$.

I hope Ed O'Bannon wins.

This was inevitable once they took Rutgers in.

It would be in everyone's long term interest to de-emphasize college and pro sports as a place to get to at the expense of true education and emphasize the development of the student.
Then go to the club/minor league model. The NHL model makes sense. You can go to Jr. hockey at 16, and still get a college scholarship up to age 21.

God (George Burns): "The reason I put everyone here naked... I wasn't trying to be cute. It's just that with clothes there's right away pockets, and pockets, you gotta put something in 'em."

This was inevitable once they took Rutgers in.
The real reason Rutgers was added to the B1G is to prepare them for their move to Div III. Even Indiana is over qualified to dumb down the B1G, so they called in the experts.

Sorry but players ARE paid. They get free tuition and board which at the cost of a lot of these Universities amounts to a better annual salary than most people. They also get training and exposure for the guys good enough to play at the next level. The money programs make goes to fund other sports or programs for other students still paying their own way. Should those sports be cancelled or tuition raised on the general population just so football and basketball players can be given even more??? If its a bad deal then lets see more guys shun college sports to play a couple seasons in European hoops or Arena Football. Allow them to get jobs for extra cash like regular students can do. Maybe even reduce practice time allowed to facilitate that. But they are already WELL paid.

The Big 10 to DIII? Well at least the quality of the product that conference puts on the field will finally match the division it plays in.

Sorry but players ARE paid. They get free tuition and board which at the cost of a lot of these Universities amounts to a better annual salary than most people. They also get training and exposure for the guys good enough to play at the next level. The money programs make goes to fund other sports or programs for other students still paying their own way. Should those sports be cancelled or tuition raised on the general population just so football and basketball players can be given even more??? If its a bad deal then lets see more guys shun college sports to play a couple seasons in European hoops or Arena Football. Allow them to get jobs for extra cash like regular students can do. Maybe even reduce practice time allowed to facilitate that. But they are already WELL paid.
Except that due to collusion with the professional leagues to which they aspire, they can't get a job in their field right out of high school.
Truth be told actually working 2 full time jobs for the registration code 1 is Napoli which despite restrictions to the contrary these guys put in well in excess of 20 hours a week during the season. It's closer to 30 to 35 hours a week. . In addition they're also full students, year round.
I know that when my friend played st SU ( he was serious student) his days began at 6am and often didn't end until midnight.

What free time do they have to work this job? Why not pay them minimum wage for a set number of hours that are assigned to training for their chosen "job", the sport they are participating in?

I agree that a free education is pay, but that free education doesn't buy you pizza, gas & beer money like everyone else is allowed to obtain through a job.

how many people can get a full time job out of HS in their chosen field ? most jobs that people aspire to get require college now

most of these kids qualify for free pell grants and get money if they need it.. I went to college I had no money, i had no car, i had no pizza, for 2/3 of the time they are in school they cant buy beer. The big time sports get training tables and can eat just fine. What perc of kids in college have jobs during college? Most kids dont during the school year , many have summer jobs.

College takes up a few hours day for he average "serious" student. The athlete may have less free time than some kids, but there are people working 40-50 hours a week who make less money and have a family too..

Kids have choice
1) dont go to college, get a job
2) go to college and leave with bills
3) go to college and play a sport and pay nothing

Honestly, if universities are forced to compensate athletes above and beyond college tuition for revenue sports, then non-revenue sports should immediately become non-scholarship.

Where are all the non-revenue sport athletes that get free rides in this complaint? Oh yeah, that's right.

Except that due to collusion with the professional leagues to which they aspire, they can't get a job in their field right out of high school.
Truth be told actually working 2 full time jobs for the registration code 1 is Napoli which despite restrictions to the contrary these guys put in well in excess of 20 hours a week during the season. It's closer to 30 to 35 hours a week. . In addition they're also full students, year round.
I know that when my friend played st SU ( he was serious student) his days began at 6am and often didn't end until midnight.
Not disagreeing with your, but adding perspective. Kids who join the military easily work more than college athletes, with more pressure and more on the line than these athletes will ever know. They do it for far less than a full ride at the U and don't get fancy travel, great food, etc.

What free time do they have to work this job? Why not pay them minimum wage for a set number of hours that are assigned to training for their chosen "job", the sport they are participating in?

I agree that a free education is pay, but that free education doesn't buy you pizza, gas & beer money like everyone else is allowed to obtain through a job.
Like I said, maybe you reduce the amount of time allowed for practice by 10 hours a week to let the kids get a part time job. Maybe the sport would suffer with quality a bit, but if its accross the board it'd still be fair.

Actually, Rutgers would feel right at home.

So long as you move the decimal point on those $129.99 Pryor jerseys two places to the left for any Rutgers jersey.

how many people can get a full time job out of HS in their chosen field ? most jobs that people aspire to get require college now

most of these kids qualify for free pell grants and get money if they need it.. I went to college I had no money, i had no car, i had no pizza, for 2/3 of the time they are in school they cant buy beer. The big time sports get training tables and can eat just fine. What perc of kids in college have jobs during college? Most kids dont during the school year , many have summer jobs.

College takes up a few hours day for he average "serious" student. The athlete may have less free time than some kids, but there are people working 40-50 hours a week who make less money and have a family too..

Kids have choice
1) dont go to college, get a job
2) go to college and leave with bills
3) go to college and play a sport and pay nothing
The general rule is 2-3 hours of study per class hour. That's anywhere from 24-45 hours per week, plus class, practice and games.

I would like to know what kids are spending 2-3 per class. I know there are some. most kids probably avg 15 credits a semester, did school get so much harder since i was in college? I know the athletes are probably going to class more than the avg kid and have study time they have to attend.

I would like to know what kids are spending 2-3 per class. I know there are some. most kids probably avg 15 credits a semester, did school get so much harder since i was in college? I know the athletes are probably going to class more than the avg kid and have study time they have to attend.
I graduated from SU with a 3.5 GPA and probably spent around 3-5 extra hours a week on stuff outside of class. Nothing more than that. Granted, I wasn't in engineering but neither are most football players. I had enough free time to work 10-20 hours a week to make a little beer money too.

I graduated from SU with a 3.5 GPA and probably spent around 3-5 extra hours a week on stuff outside of class. Nothing more than that. Granted, I wasn't in engineering but neither are most football players. I had enough free time to work 10-20 hours a week to make a little beer money too.

Man, what ever happened to the rule of thumb that you should spend 2 hours on school work outside of class for every hour in class?

Sent using my Commodore 64

I wholeheartedly believe athletes should be paid. Simply put, they do more for their scholarship than any academic scholarship is required. Some would say "well the academic scholar makes money for the University after they graduate". Well I say the athletes make money for the University while they are in school. These are actual arguments I have had with professors. Lets not forget athletes risk future health by playing sports. Not so much for the academic scholar.

I'm in favor of full cost of attendance scholarships. This translates to an extra $2-3k/yr in spending money. That's it.

Without the money generated by the revenue sports there would be no other sports. Without the other sports, Title IX would dictate that there'd be no sports at all.

Others have equated sports with a trade. For many trades it's impossible to jump straight into them as professions from high school. These trades require an apprenticeship. College sports serves as the apprenticeship vehicle for American professional sports.