Jim Harbaugh may be unlikeable…, but | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jim Harbaugh may be unlikeable…, but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much time Bezos spends flexing in the mirror lately. Narcissist.
Took Bezos a full day just to release a statement after 6 were killed by the tornado at his Illinois warehouse.
Too busy playing with his rocket toys.
Bezos is a Bond villain, doesn’t change the fact that there is virtue in creating transformative businesses,

Sorry, but that's a stupid thing to say from that reverend. 1) He has no idea what those others have done, 2) they employee thousands, if not tens of thousands of people, most of which are paid well, 3) he in no way factors bonuses, and other benefits most of those employees get and 4) the huge charitable givings that each of those companies provide. but, hey, whenever you can attack someone successful, you do it, right...right, because it makes you feel better about yourself.

Sorry, but that's a stupid thing to say from that reverend. 1) He has no idea what those others have done, 2) they employee thousands, if not tens of thousands of people, most of which are paid well, 3) he in no way factors bonuses, and other benefits most of those employees get and 4) the huge charitable givings that each of those companies provide. but, hey, whenever you can attack someone successful, you do it, right...right, because it makes you feel better about yourself.
Agree that nothing is simple, black and white. But it’s up to you and others to see the other side too. We can hold two things that are true and seemingly opposite in our minds at once (created a ton of jobs and that those jobs might suck, for example)

When people criticize how the wealthy give, I think they should go out and create enough wealth so they can give “the right way”.

Don't put words in my mouth. I said nothing about how and how much he gives. I simply said I don't care for the guy and never have. And if you are referring to me, I certainly have not created the wealth he has, but I'm certain I give a higher percentage to help other people. If you're not talking about me, you should have been clearer in your reply.

Agree that nothing is simple, black and white. But it’s up to you and others to see the other side too. We can hold two things that are true and seemingly opposite in our minds at once (created a ton of jobs and that those jobs might suck, for example)

Suck is subjective. Everything I listed is objective. What the rev was trying to argue was objective.

Suck is subjective. Everything I listed is objective. What the rev was trying to argue was objective.
This is cute rhetorical trick.

Me: we should see these people as they are, not in black and white

You: black and white

The truth is we can’t let people with this big a piece of the pie off the hook by sticking to platitudes. With that much power they have a ton of influence over other peoples lives. They have earned more scrutiny. They have earned objective and subjective scrutiny. If they don’t want it they can sell their biz, set up a small trust to live on, and fade into obscurity relatively anonymously.

With great power comes great responsibility. They want the first without the second.

This is cute rhetorical trick.

Me: we should see these people as they are, not in black and white

You: black and white

The truth is we can’t let people with this big a piece of the pie off the hook by sticking to platitudes. With that much power they have a ton of influence over other peoples lives. They have earned more scrutiny. They have earned objective and subjective scrutiny. If they don’t want it they can sell their biz, set up a small trust to live on, and fade into obscurity relatively anonymously.

With great power comes great responsibility. They want the first without the second.

All of your argument is subjective. That's fine, but that's not what I was responding to. If the reverend had an issue with the subjective parts of their lives, then he should have stated that, but he didn't. I'm not going to have a subjective debate when the topic is objective. That's a strawman's way out.

Easy to provide subjective scrutiny to anyone, even to you.

All of your argument is subjective. That's fine, but that's not what I was responding to. If the reverend had an issue with the subjective parts of their lives, then he should have stated that, but he didn't. I'm not going to have a subjective debate when the topic is objective. That's a strawman's way out.

Easy to provide subjective scrutiny to anyone, even to you.

Ha! Look we both can take objective facts and make subjective arguments. I can share the objective fact that people have died in tornados while trapped at work in warehouses, which subjectively makes it a job that sucks. Because being dead sucks for those families, I think. This objective/subjective nonsense is a way to hide rhetorically.

There is too much at stake to keep things tidy in a “he created a lot of jobs!” box. I argued that it’s both, that it’s complicated. Which is correct.

As stated - the reason it all matters is that they have outsized influence and power. The Rev is rightly asking the question “have you done enough with your power and influence?” … it comes with success. As much as some loathe the idea, we’re all connected and bear responsibilities to each other.

Ha! Look we both can take objective facts and make subjective arguments. I can share the objective fact that people have died in tornados while trapped at work in warehouses, which subjectively makes it a job that sucks. Because being dead sucks for those families, I think. This objective/subjective nonsense is a way to hide rhetorically.

There is too much at stake to keep things tidy in a “he created a lot of jobs!” box. I argued that it’s both, that it’s complicated. Which is correct.

As stated - the reason it all matters is that they have outsized influence and power. The Rev is rightly asking the question “have you done enough with your power and influence?” … it comes with success. As much as some loathe the idea, we’re all connected and bear responsibilities to each other.
I don’t think that’s what the reverend was asking, it seemed to be just about money.

Also he seems to have some issues, not sure that he is a profound philosopher.

The athletic department employees had their pay frozen or cut but this guy’s bonuses which are the biggest in college football history could not have been renegotiated?

Good for Jim Harbaugh but yikes not a great look for UM and other schools that decided to take it out of the people who don’t have the wealth to absorb a pay cut or wage freeze.

I don’t think that’s what the reverend was asking, it seemed to be just about money.

The employee is at the mercy of the guys at the top. They wield a tremendous amount of power and influence over their lives. I'm not even endorsing his position fully - as it's complicated. Just asking people like texascpa to see the bigger, more complete picture on Bezos, Musk, etc.

As for his 2nd tweet:

1. People are complicated. As I've been saying - it's ok to endorse one part of something someone is for while holding the other stuff as not something you're for. Less B&W is ok.

2. That take is honest. I don't endorse getting people sick on purpose, but I do think it's ok to share your frustrations in a honest way.

The employee is at the mercy of the guys at the top. They wield a tremendous amount of power and influence over their lives. I'm not even endorsing his position fully - as it's complicated. Just asking people like texascpa to see the bigger, more complete picture on Bezos, Musk, etc.

As for his 2nd tweet:

1. People are complicated. As I've been saying - it's ok to endorse one part of something someone is for while holding the other stuff as not something you're for. Less B&W is ok.

2. That take is honest. I don't endorse getting people sick on purpose, but I do think it's ok to share your frustrations in a honest way.
Honest or not, it is a sign of issues.

Until he uses his money and power to impact you or your neighbors. And your recourse is nada because you can’t compete.
Plus billionaires like Bezos, Musk, the Koch’s, Addison, and countless others use their money to pay Washington lobbyists and donate to (mostly right wing) politicians so they can game the system in their favor. Stevenson should very much concern himself with what billionaires and the wealthy are doing with their money. It impacts all of us.

As for his 2nd tweet:

Cusian, I never said I didn't think they wielded some amount of power or influence (though, so what?). My point, again, was to argue the specific thing the Reverend stated. that's it.

BTW, I can't believe you used a random act of God to determine that a job sucked. How does one have to do with another? If that was the standard we are using, every single job in the world sucks.

So, basically the Reverend is admitting that we are stuck with masks for the eternity. Sorry, but nope. Love how the goalposts on this issue have moved...

Cusian, I never said I didn't think they wielded some amount of power or influence (though, so what?). My point, again, was to argue the specific thing the Reverend stated. that's it.

BTW, I can't believe you used a random act of God to determine that a job sucked. How does one have to do with another? If that was the standard we are using, every single job in the world sucks.

The thing the guy was saying was they can do more for their employees which is certainly true. You don’t have to look hard to find stories about employees of those companies wanting to be better looked after. The gap between the top and the employees is vast and they can do better.

We’ve probably pushed this as far as we can go. It started with me just wanting to make sure the full picture of these complicated guys gets told.

It’s a sign of frustration. Which is everywhere, on a lot of different sides of the mask and pandemic measures
Nah, he’s got issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors