Jim Picked NIL over Tampering? | Syracusefan.com

Jim Picked NIL over Tampering?

CU44SE

All Conference
NIL was always going to ruin college sports. There is 0 way to prevent boosters from offering college kids NIL deals to go to schools. Absolutely laughable that people thought that would/could be corralled. Boosters often have millions of dollars they don’t know what to do with and want to see their college team succeed. They are willing to do anything to make their team better. You were never going to keep boosters from offering NIL. And if you tried, there would be another lawsuit because you would severely limit the number of individuals who could offer NIL.

The bigger issue and the issue Jim NEEDED to discuss was TAMPERING. That is 100% enforceable and should be policed closer than ever with the NIL climate. Look, if a kid just goes into the portal because he wants to see what his value is, that is one thing. It could benefit him, could also cost him his spot on the roster with no landing spot. A risk many probably wouldn’t take. But to have a dozen coaches contact your relatives and high school coaches and tell them what they would be willing to offer in NIL for that individual to enter the Portal. That needs to have DEATH Penalty consequences attached to it. That is where 75%, if not more of the NIL issues come from. No one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE would have a problem with Jim’s NIL comments if he strictly kept it to Tampering. This is something that every coach needs to be at the table pounding their fist over. The BC football coach started this conversation and then pooped his pants when it came to identifying the perpetrators. Unless the coaches start to come out and accuse people and actually have NCAA backing, the tampering will get worse and worse. Right now, tampering is the Wild Wild West. There are rules but no enforcement.

That’s like a highway where the speed limit reads 35 MPH. Everyone in the community knows that cops don’t police that highway and you will never get a ticket on that stretch of highway. How many people in that community will go the 35 MPH speed limit? You may have a few initially. But as people see more and more drivers going faster and pushing the limit. They will start to do so. Soon, no one will abide by the rules and the road will be a free for all.

That is the way coaches are going about tampering. OMG I can contact so and so and the NCAA won’t do anything. Then another coach sees his team get ravaged with tampering and all these other teams that were his equals are now passing him. You don’t think that coach is now going to partake in the same behavior that cost him his entire team? It’s cyclical. And until the NCAA steps in and does something about this tampering that comes with unprecedented sanctions; coaches will continue to cross the line over and over again.

That is the real issue in college sports today. It isn’t the NIL. It is the Blatant Tampering that is occurring without any consequences.

Edit: this isn’t really about what jim said or what I think of Jim’s comments. This is more about my belief that Tampering is a major issue in college sports and is more damaging to the game than NIL.

Last edited:
NIL was always going to ruin college sports. There is 0 way to prevent boosters from offering college kids NIL deals to go to schools. Absolutely laughable that people thought that would/could be corralled. Boosters often have millions of dollars they don’t know what to do with and want to see their college team succeed. They are willing to do anything to make their team better. You were never going to keep boosters from offering NIL. And if you tried, there would be another lawsuit because you would severely limit the number of individuals who could offer NIL.

The bigger issue and the issue Jim NEEDED to discuss was TAMPERING. That is 100% enforceable and should be policed closer than ever with the NIL climate. Look, if a kid just goes into the portal because he wants to and see what his value is that is one thing. Could benefit him, could also cost him his spot and no landing spot. A risk many probably wouldn’t take. But to have a dozen coaches contact your relatives and high school coaches and tell them what they would be willing to offer in NIL for that individual to enter the Portal. That needs to have DEATH Penalty consequences attached to it. That is where 75%, if not more of the NIL issues come from. No one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE would have a problem with Jim’s NIL comments if he strictly kept it to Tampering. This is something that every coach needs to be at the table pounding their fist over. The BC football coach started this conversation and then pooped his pants when it came to identifying the perpetrators. Unless the coaches start to come out and accuse people and actually have NCAA backing, the tampering will get worse and worse. Right now, tampering is the Wild Wild West. There are rules but no enforcement.

That’s like a highway where the speed limit reads 35 MPH. Everyone in the community knows that cops don’t police that highway and you will never get a ticket on that stretch of highway. How many people in that community will go the 35 MPH speed limit? You may have a few initially. But as people see more and more drivers going faster and pushing the limit. They will start to do so. Soon, no one will abide by the rules and the road will be a free for all.

That is the way coaches are going about tampering. OMG I can contact so and so and the NCAA won’t do anything. Then another coach sees his team get ravaged with tampering and all these other teams that were his equals are now passing him. You don’t think that coach is now going to partake in the same behavior that cost him his entire team? It’s cyclical. And until the NCAA steps in and does something about this tampering that comes with unprecedented sanctions; coaches will continue to cross the line over and over again.

That is the real issue in college sports today. It isn’t the NIL. It is the Blatant Tampering that is occurring without any consequences.
i agree with you that tampering is bad...but I think it is simply a consequence of the new reality and just part of the game now...its another reason why I dont like NIL and dont see a better future for NCAABB

I really dont think there is any way to stop it. Eventually, I think it will drive away a good percentage of fans...but in the short-term...its party time!

Tampering is for sure the bad piece here

However, just like anything with college athletics (and most things), show me the rules, and I'll show you how to bend em.

Bad guys are always a step or two or ten ahead. You'll never be able to stop a HC from reaching a kid. Just gotta reach out to a former player who knows the AAU coach and just so happens to know he'd have a spot at Tamper U.

I remember a time in which people actually looked down on programs that cheated. Now, I wish we were more willing (or at least better at it).

I don’t understand tampering. We have freedom of speech. We have freedom of association. No other coaches or schools have a fiduciary duty to make Syracuse basketball good. The people with that duty have failed miserably for the better part of 10 years and blaming others for their failure, a true hallmark of leadership.

There is absolutely no way you can have men's college basketball making around ten billion dollars from TV/streaming broadcast rights and think there is any way in the world it is not going to corrupt the recruiting and transfer portal process. It's absurd on the face of it.

When money like that is being thrown around corruption is guaranteed. Not everyone, everywhere, all at once, but for sure a lotta dirty deals are happening. Men's college basketball has crossed the Rubicon.

The OP thinks we haven’t tampered?
Sorry, did I say anywhere in my comment that we have never tampered? I know I am not the best writer, but I definitely did not say anything along those lines. I’m sure we have, we have been under sanctions 2 times. Clearly we have not run the cleanest program. Brandon Knight made comments the other day that I’m sure has some truth to it. My point is Tampering is a much bigger issue then NIL and is actually controllable compared to NIL.
I don’t understand tampering. We have freedom of speech. We have freedom of association. No other coaches or schools have a fiduciary duty to make Syracuse basketball good. The people with that duty have failed miserably for the better part of 10 years and blaming others for their failure, a true hallmark of leadership.

Interesting that it isn’t allowed in professional sports. It happens. But multiple teams have been getting dinged and are losing draft picks in both the NFL and NBA. It’s there league, they can make any rules they want. Just like the NCAA has made rules against tampering. Rules that they do not monitor or govern. I never said anything about other schools having a duty to make Syracuse good. I insinuated the NCAA has a duty to monitor and penalize schools that are breaking written rules and bylaws. Sure, schools and coaches will still break and skirt the rules. They always have. But if you don’t even police it and turn the other way. It will only get worse. The NCAA has always been corrupt and hypocritical. Nothing has changed here. My ultimate point is NIL isn’t the problem, Tampering is. NIL is completely legal and within the rules. Tampering is a rule and is not governed.

The bigger issue and the issue Jim NEEDED to discuss was TAMPERING. That is 100% enforceable and should be policed closer than ever with the NIL climate. Look, if a kid just goes into the portal because he wants to see what his value is, that is one thing. It could benefit him, could also cost him his spot on the roster with no landing spot. A risk many probably wouldn’t take. But to have a dozen coaches contact your relatives and high school coaches and tell them what they would be willing to offer in NIL for that individual to enter the Portal. That needs to have DEATH Penalty consequences attached to it. That is where 75%, if not more of the NIL issues come from. No one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE would have a problem with Jim’s NIL comments if he strictly kept it to Tampering. This is something that every coach needs to be at the table pounding their fist over. The BC football coach started this conversation and then pooped his pants when it came to identifying the perpetrators. Unless the coaches start to come out and accuse people and actually have NCAA backing, the tampering will get worse and worse. Right now, tampering is the Wild Wild West. There are rules but no enforcement.

Needing to issue a statement and then have an interview with the NIL sponsor who previously admitted six deals with current students was wincing to go through.

Jim is not going to go conservative and follow party lines going forward. This is who he is and God Bless him for it. But boy, he’s not giving confidence that he is the CEO of a major college basketball program…he’s acting like a too secure, yet insecure dictator that doesn’t seem to be doing it for the joy. He seems to be doing it because this is all he can imagine doing.

I hope for he and Juli there is a growing excitement for what next, or not next.

I love Boeheim. I loved what he did to help put Syracuse on the modern map. I love his game day presence. I don’t love everything else around it which now includes wrongful chastising of league members and the world at large. It just seems like the time is very much near…

Edit: this isn’t really about what jim said or what I think of Jim’s comments. This is more about my belief that Tampering is a major issue in college sports and is more damaging to the game than NIL.

But t it's progressive so it must be good!!!!!

There is absolutely no way you can have men's college basketball making around ten billion dollars from TV/streaming broadcast rights and think there is any way in the world it is not going to corrupt the recruiting and transfer portal process. It's absurd on the face of it.

When money like that is being thrown around corruption is guaranteed. Not everyone, everywhere, all at once, but for sure a lotta dirty deals are happening. Men's college basketball has crossed the Rubicon.

It is crazy money and yet TV/Streaming is a fraction of the $ gambling earns and yet very few want to admit there may be some corruption in that or just won't investigate thus sticking their head in the sand and the biggest cash cow persists.

As the former Pitt player that was around for seemingly a decade tweeted yesterday: people know who got paid to go where.

Boeheim isn't touching that with a crane-sized pole.

HIRE SEAN MILLER.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom