Jimbo Fisher and Muschamp in favor of early signing period | Syracusefan.com

Jimbo Fisher and Muschamp in favor of early signing period

Basketball has two. Football should have two. One early one late. If you're not sold on signing early then wait. Simple as that.

Basketball has two. Football should have two. One early one late. If you're not sold on signing early then wait. Simple as that.

Seems strange to me why they don't. What's the downside?

For the players: Signing with a staff that isn't there anymore come December.

For the coaches: (only at the top schools) not having an early period means that other school's commits are still available as plan B's if their plan A's don't work out.

For the record, I'm for an early signing period, but those are the arguments that can most easily be made against it.

but it hasnt been an issue in bball so why should fball have an issue with it. some kids sign early and want to. others wont.. bball coaches leave every year kids just need to decide how they want to play the game.

For the coaches: (only at the top schools) not having an early period means that other school's commits are still available as plan B's if their plan A's don't work out.

For the record, I'm for an early signing period, but those are the arguments that can most easily be made against it.

I can see the player side being an NCAA concern, but not the coaching side. Maybe a powerful lobby, but hopefully not one that is influencing their ultimate decision.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to create a waiver situation for those who commit to a school with a head coaching change. I know it's said you commit to the school not to the coach, but that's kind of a big thing in the decision. You just make it for head coaching changes, not the assistant level, because that probably opens up way too much.

Even at that, the kid doesn't have to sign. But it gives them some protection too. Might remove an ounce of sleaze in this entire process.

If a kid is worried about the staff being fired at the end of the year then he should wait for the late signing period. Problem solved.

If a kid is worried about the staff being fired at the end of the year then he should wait for the late signing period. Problem solved.
But then you have a rich get richer situation: the top teams with coaching security can strongarm the elite players into signing early while they still have room. Mediocre to struggling teams, which are generally the ones that will have coaches on the hot seat (except for the SEC where a three loss season can get you fired), will effectively be forced to draw from a lesser talent pool.

That said, I'm not sure why there should be ANY signing period. As long as the committment is binding on both sides, let the kids pick their schools whenever they are ready to. The only limit I'd place is not to allow places to overbook for any given future year.

Football coaches change jobs frequently at the collegiate level. Basketball nowhere near as much!

Yup. I am in favor of it too. But think the rule should allow a kid to decommit if the head coach leaves between the early dining period and the February
LOI day.

Personally, I think when a kid reaches 18 they should be able to sign whenever they want. An LOI and college scholarship agreements are contracts, and just like any contract, in any state, the age of majority (the point in which a contract is not voidable due to age) is 18.