Jimbo told the NFL that Manuel was a backup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimbo told the NFL that Manuel was a backup

the worst sin in pro football is to not draft qbs. if you don't draft a qb, you're not going to get a qb. missing on a 15th pick is not that big a deal. the vikings made a mistake with ponder but who cares now that they have bridgewater.

i'm trying to convince myself that orton has 5 years left in the tank. it's not like he's some big armed specimen, he is already like an old man, maybe he can play til he's 56.

The vikings made the mistake with ponder because it was the lockout year, they didn't have a starting QB, and they weren't allowed to go get a free agent because of the lockout. Hence, they reached. The guy they wanted was actually jake locker--another physical specimen who like manuel sucks as a QB. When tennessee came out of nowhere to unexpectedly draft locker a few picks ahead of where the vikings were drafting, they had to settle for ponder.

Maybe its just something about FSU QBs, looking pretty good at the collegiate level due to the talent / athleticism around them.

The vikings made the mistake with ponder because it was the lockout year, they didn't have a starting QB, and they weren't allowed to go get a free agent because of the lockout. Hence, they reached. The guy they wanted was actually jake locker--another physical specimen who like manuel sucks as a QB. When tennessee came out of nowhere to unexpectedly draft locker a few picks ahead of where the vikings were drafting, they had to settle for ponder.

Maybe its just something about FSU QBs, looking pretty good at the collegiate level due to the talent / athleticism around them.

Locker gets hurt every game too, I think his W/L record is actually not that bad, his completion % is abysmal but he can really run the ball, hence all the injuries

manuel had good numbers in college. locker didn't. maybe it's because i thought manuel was the best of a lousy bunch (I still do actually) but i want the bills to keep drafting qbs. people grade GMs on "busts". the bills draft CBs, RBs, and WR all the time because even the terrible ones see the field. maximizing chances of winning is a tough question so GMs substitute a different question - who can i draft that will contribute

manuel had good numbers in college. locker didn't. maybe it's because i thought manuel was the best of a lousy bunch (I still do actually) but i want the bills to keep drafting qbs. people grade GMs on "busts". the bills draft CBs, RBs, and WR all the time because even the terrible ones see the field. maximizing chances of winning is a tough question so GMs substitute a different question - who can i draft that will contribute

There are lots of college QBs who have good numbers. That's why guys like Kyle Boller, Manuel, Russell, Quinn, Weeden, and I could go on and on get drafted in the first round every year.

I remember seeing an old video of Bill Walsh talking about what he looks for in a QB that ESPN played as part of draft coverage about 10 years ago. Walsh's criteria went against the grain. His top attribute was intelligence, followed by leadership, and so on down the list. I think the 8th most important factor he listed was where he finally got to some of the physical attributes.

And yet every year, some GM falls in love with a QB because he can throw the ball 60 yards through the air from his knees.

I'm not anti-drafting QBs. The great teams seem to do this, and sometimes these guys end up being assets they can deal down the road if the starting QB is firmly entrenched. I'm just anti-squandering first round picks on guys who are only potentially great QBs from the neck down.

There are lots of college QBs who have good numbers. That's why guys like Kyle Boller, Manuel, Russell, Quinn, Weeden, and I could go on and on get drafted in the first round every year.

I remember seeing an old video of Bill Walsh talking about what he looks for in a QB that ESPN played as part of draft coverage about 10 years ago. Walsh's criteria went against the grain. His top attribute was intelligence, followed by leadership, and so on down the list. I think the 8th most important factor he listed was where he finally got to some of the physical attributes.

And yet every year, some GM falls in love with a QB because he can throw the ball 60 yards through the air from his knees.

I'm not anti-drafting QBs. The great teams seem to do this, and sometimes these guys end up being assets they can deal down the road if the starting QB is firmly entrenched. I'm just anti-squandering first round picks on guys who are only potentially great QBs from the neck down.
bill walsh is the reason i had to sit through years of trent edwards.

bill walsh is the reason i had to sit through years of trent edwards.

Another big stiff with the measureables.

I'm not even that big of a Walsh fan--just always found that take interesting on how many GMs focus on the wrong attributes when evaluating QBs.

For what it's worth, Jimbo Fisher says the only NFL team he spoke to was Buffalo and that he told them he believed Manuel would be a great face for the franchise and was a tremendous QB prospect. He's calling Schefter out for not actually speaking to him and instead reporting what a source told him.

the worst sin in pro football is to not draft qbs. if you don't draft a qb, you're not going to get a qb. missing on a 15th pick is not that big a deal. the vikings made a mistake with ponder but who cares now that they have bridgewater.

i'm trying to convince myself that orton has 5 years left in the tank. it's not like he's some big armed specimen, he is already like an old man, maybe he can play til he's 56.

The guy comes in cold, no preseason, no first team reps until this week, takes a half to warm up and puts up 300 against one of the top defenses on the road.

That's crazy. That's a hell of job by all concerned.

For what it's worth, Jimbo Fisher says the only NFL team he spoke to was Buffalo and that he told them he believed Manuel would be a great face for the franchise and was a tremendous QB prospect. He's calling Schefter out for not actually speaking to him and instead reporting what a source told him.
it's really hard to believe any coach would sabotage his guy like that. story didn't seem believeable

The guy comes in cold, no preseason, no first team reps until this week, takes a half to warm up and puts up 300 against one of the top defenses on the road.

That's crazy. That's a hell of job by all concerned.

I really was rooting for Orton yesterday, guy is a pro made the one pick 6 but really came through in the end and Watkins helped his cause big time, what an athlete that kid is WOW. Orton may be just enough to get them where they need to be this year. Orton at least gives them a shot.

At least marrone made the call

I really was rooting for Orton yesterday, guy is a pro made the one pick 6 but really came through in the end and Watkins helped his cause big time, what an athlete that kid is WOW. Orton may be just enough to get them where they need to be this year. Orton at least gives them a shot.

At least marrone made the call

Huge game Sunday. If they can beat NE, they get Minny and Jets going into the break. 6-2. Go 4-4 the second half and good chance at the playoffs.

as a senior yes. but nassib had the benefit of having no one at all breathing down his neck for two years before he was any good

Nassib had linemen breathing down his neck while Manuel had time and multiple receivers to pick to throw to that had their guys beat by yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom