Jimmy "Bug" Williams | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy "Bug" Williams

Those old enough to remember "Bug" Williams. John Gillan reminds me of "Bug" when it comes to his height and quickness.

Love the comparison. They are very similar.

Jimmy had two 30+ games. One under Roy and one under Jimmy. If there had been a 3pt shot back then, those 30 point games might have compared to John's score last night.

Love the comparison. They are very similar.

Jimmy had two 30+ games. One under Roy and one under Jimmy. If there had been a 3pt shot back then, those 30 point games might have compared to John's score last night.

Agree, if there was a 3pt shot back then for "Bug" his number would have been "UGE".

Oh. I disagree with the outside shot part. I went to school with Bug and I don't remember him hitting 9 shots in his career like John hit last night.

Oh. I disagree with the outside shot part. I went to school with Bug and I don't remember him hitting 9 shots in his career like John hit last night.
Although if I recall correctly he did dribble the length of the court in under 5 seconds to beat K-State in the East Regional final at Providence in 1975, which sent us to our first Final Four. Have to admit I'm old enough to have seen that live.

Whatever happened to Bug Williams?

Although if I recall correctly he did dribble the length of the court in under 5 seconds to beat K-State in the East Regional final at Providence in 1975, which sent us to our first Final Four. Have to admit I'm old enough to have seen that live.
yes he did.

Jim Bug was not a shooter. Plus Jim Bug was much much faster than Gillon. Both could drive but Gillon has a touch more finesse when confronted by bigs under the hoop.

Jim Bug was not a shooter. Plus Jim Bug was much much faster than Gillon. Both could drive but Gillon has a touch more finesse when confronted by bigs under the hoop.
Bug seemed to play at the edge of control and push the ball at top speed most of the time. Gillon may be nearly as quick, but seems more reluctant to turn on the jets. Bug was a better shooter off the dribble and a better finisher at the rim. Gillon has more range on his shot but generally needs time and space for it to be effective.

I've been a lurker here for a million years figured I'd post this story- I work at a car dealership in Buffalo, about 2 years ago I walked back into the showroom and a co-worker was chatting with Bug Williams, my co worker (who knows I'm a huge SU fan) goes "do you know who this is!?" I'm in my 20's so I wouldn't recognize Bug Williams but before I could say anything my co-worker goes "It's Jimmy Bug Williams he played for Syracuse!" I did know the name and I talked to him for a few minutes. He's a phys. ed teacher in Buffalo, said he still has his Final 4 ring. I asked him if he had any good Boeheim stories, Bug was laughing when he told me that he always thought Boeheim was too serious.

Sorry it's not an epic story but I figured why not share...Go Orange!

He got a job at Terminex...It didn't end well

IMG_4976.JPG

I've been a lurker here for a million years figured I'd post this story- I work at a car dealership in Buffalo, about 2 years ago I walked back into the showroom and a co-worker was chatting with Bug Williams, my co worker (who knows I'm a huge SU fan) goes "do you know who this is!?" I'm in my 20's so I wouldn't recognize Bug Williams but before I could say anything my co-worker goes "It's Jimmy Bug Williams he played for Syracuse!" I did know the name and I talked to him for a few minutes. He's a phys. ed teacher in Buffalo, said he still has his Final 4 ring. I asked him if he had any good Boeheim stories, Bug was laughing when he told me that he always thought Boeheim was too serious.

Glad to hear he's doing well.

Keep posting now that you've broken the ice! Nothing wrong with some new blood around here

Thanks for the story. Always wondered what he was doing.

Welcome! Post more. We don't bite.

Well, some of us do. ;)

I saw it live too. Can still see it in my mind.

Not quite the length of the floor.
He dribbled up court and found Rudy Hackett at the foul line.
Rudy bobbled up a left-handed hook that went in at the buzzer to send the game to OT...where the Orange prevailed.
Second consecutive game that literally rocked Lawrinson Hall.

Not quite the length of the floor.
He dribbled up court and found Rudy Hackett at the foul line.
Rudy bobbled up a left-handed hook that went in at the buzzer to send the game to OT...where the Orange prevailed.
Second consecutive game that literally rocked Lawrinson Hall.

Yup. I remember that as if it was yesterday.

Damn! Was it that long ago?;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom