Jimmy "Bug" Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy "Bug" Williams

I've been a lurker here for a million years figured I'd post this story- I work at a car dealership in Buffalo, about 2 years ago I walked back into the showroom and a co-worker was chatting with Bug Williams, my co worker (who knows I'm a huge SU fan) goes "do you know who this is!?" I'm in my 20's so I wouldn't recognize Bug Williams but before I could say anything my co-worker goes "It's Jimmy Bug Williams he played for Syracuse!" I did know the name and I talked to him for a few minutes. He's a phys. ed teacher in Buffalo, said he still has his Final 4 ring. I asked him if he had any good Boeheim stories, Bug was laughing when he told me that he always thought Boeheim was too serious.

Sorry it's not an epic story but I figured why not share...Go Orange!

Great story! I love stories like this!

Anyone remember the 1977 matchup between Bug and Fast Eddie Jordan?

Total blurfest won by Bug and the Orangemen.

Manley was rocking!

Oh yes. I was at the game. Never missed a game at Manley!

Not quite the length of the floor.
He dribbled up court and found Rudy Hackett at the foul line.
Rudy bobbled up a left-handed hook that went in at the buzzer to send the game to OT...where the Orange prevailed.
Second consecutive game that literally rocked Lawrinson Hall.

Just stumbled on this old clipping.

Another eye-opening performance in Providence was that of "Bug" Williams, the tiny SU sophomore guard who got his nickname from former Orange star Dennis DuVal. "He thought I was kind of like a bug because of the way I am weaving in and out on the fast break drill at practice one day." Williams said.

Now Williams is called more than the "Bug". He earned some all-tournament votes by popping in nine of 11 shots against powerful North Carolina but really made his mark when he dribbled the ball the length of the floor in the last five seconds to feed Hackett for the tying shot against Kansas State. After that play, just about everyone agreed Williams is probably the fastest player in collegiate basketball

Post Standard, March 25, 1975

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom