Jimmy Confirms Hop's interview with USC | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy Confirms Hop's interview with USC

Like that JB is being somewhat open and honest. I do think part of Hops decision is up to JB though. I am sure Hop wants to be the next SU HC. He's hung in here all this time while a number of schools have reached out to him and inquired of his interest in their job and in some cases got him to at least interview with them.

But these constant opportunities aren't gonna he there forever and this one is better than the Boston's, St Bonnie's, Providence's, Charlotte's, etc. If JB tells Hop he's coaching another 4-5 years or wants to get to 1,000 wins, I'd have to think Hop would take it if offered. If JB commits to Hop this or next will be his last, then Hop has a tough decision to make.

Sent using my Commodore 64

JB said exactly the things that a decent human being should say. Would he be sad if Hop left? Likely so, but I bet he will feel good for him also. If he does leave, JB will need to stay on longer to groom another successor.

JB said exactly the things that a decent human being should say. Would he be sad if Hop left? Likely so, but I bet he will feel good for him also. If he does leave, JB will need to stay on longer to groom another successor.

Assuming that Hop goes, and JB only sticks around for 3 more seasons to get past 1000 ... does that give JB enough time to groom Autry as HC with GMac as #2?

Like that JB is being somewhat open and honest. I do think part of Hops decision is up to JB though. I am sure Hop wants to be the next SU HC. He's hung in here all this time while a number of schools have reached out to him and inquired of his interest in their job and in some cases got him to at least interview with them.

But these constant opportunities aren't gonna he there forever and this one is better than the Boston's, St Bonnie's, Providence's, Charlotte's, etc. If JB tells Hop he's coaching another 4-5 years or wants to get to 1,000 wins, I'd have to think Hop would take it if offered. If JB commits to Hop this or next will be his last, then Hop has a tough decision to make.

I agree with all the above and I dont think JB is going anywhere for awhile...so Hop will be gonzo. I have no "insider scoops". Just how I feel. JB will be like CBB's Bobby Bowden.

There has been much stability to this basketball program with the SU alums assisting and Hopkins Coach-in-Waiting. I wish very much he and JB could work this out and he will stay. I believe JB has been stressed and sad about leaving the BE and I really wondered if he might hang it up after this year. But if we go out on a bad note, which we might, I am positive he would then coach one more year.

...here is the thing from my standpoint and I may be off the mark:
1. JB is a great coach and is not leaving anytime soon
2. Hop needs to go and get some HC experience
3. Not sure of Hop's ability...if he has been coach overseeing the Bigs...than he has not coached well as they have not really improved over the past two years

Frankly, let Hop go...demonstrate his capability and if he loves the Orange as much as some things he does, he can come back stronger with HC experience. Sometimes it is best to go and come back then to hang around forever...

would hop come back here is 5 years? even if he made USC a quality team? What if he fails miserably? do we look elsewhere for our next HC?

...here is the thing from my standpoint and I may be off the mark:
1. JB is a great coach and is not leaving anytime soon
2. Hop needs to go and get some HC experience
3. Not sure of Hop's ability...if he has been coach overseeing the Bigs...than he has not coached well as they have not really improved over the past two years

Frankly, let Hop go...demonstrate his capability and if he loves the Orange as much as some things he does, he can come back stronger with HC experience. Sometimes it is best to go and come back then to hang around forever...
Coming back from Boston or Bonna is one thing. Returning from a major program back home is another.

If Hop leaves he will not come back as he will either be a big success at USC and stay or a flop and we will not hire him.

Coming back from Boston or Bonna is one thing. Returning from a major program back home is another.
LOL USC/PAC10 major bball conference... you slay me SIR.

LOL USC/PAC10 major bball conference... you slay me SIR.
Well, you know what I mean - maybe "major"?

But yeah any conference that has Oregon winning it isn't really major.

- I assume JB is not retiring next year, and has no firm plans to retire the year after, or I doubt Hop would be going to interview.
- If Hop goes to USC, I doubt he comes back. He has been here for 20 years. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that moves around a lot. Moving to S. Calif. would be a major life change for his family, would he then pick up and return a few years later?
- Nothing has changed with JB. He coaches until he decides he is ready to move on or there is a Ray Meyer like fall off. Until he says he's ready to move on, there isn't really anything that can be done for Hop here.
- If Hop isn't the next coach, the next coach shouldn't come from within the program or be a JB protege. There isn't anyone in the program that I would feel comfortable turning over the program to. We all aren't convinced that Hop should get the job without HC experience. I am darn certain that neither Autry or GMac should. And there isn't anyone in the JB Coaching Tree that I would really be interested in seeing come here to take over for him. If JB retires and it isn't Hop, it's time to get creative and that means going outside of the program.

It's not JB's job to groom a successor. It worked that way with Hop. But if he leaves, SU will have to see if the next guy comes from within, or without.

- I assume JB is not retiring next year, and has no firm plans to retire the year after, or I doubt Hop would be going to interview.
- If Hop goes to USC, I doubt he comes back. He has been here for 20 years. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that moves around a lot. Moving to S. Calif. would be a major life change for his family, would he then pick up and return a few years later?
- Nothing has changed with JB. He coaches until he decides he is ready to move on or there is a Ray Meyer like fall off. Until he says he's ready to move on, there isn't really anything that can be done for Hop here.
- If Hop isn't the next coach, the next coach shouldn't come from within the program or be a JB protege. There isn't anyone in the program that I would feel comfortable turning over the program to. We all aren't convinced that Hop should get the job without HC experience. I am darn certain that neither Autry or GMac should. And there isn't anyone in the JB Coaching Tree that I would really be interested in seeing come here to take over for him. If JB retires and it isn't Hop, it's time to get creative and that means going outside of the program.
His kid plays lacrosse Hopkins isn't going to go to Southern California if his kid plays lacrosse;)

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I think JB is feeling pressured by Mike by this situation. Maybe this had something to do with that Pulitzer Prize blow up out of nowhere after that game last week.

I also notice that he called him "Coach Hopkins" in that article rather than Mike - seems almost stiffly formal out of JB. I don't think he's pleased by this. Bad timing if he only intends to coach a year or two more, but Mike is probably tired of hearing "a year or two more" after 5 years or so.

"He's interested in the job. It's up to him, it's his decision.
When asked if he’d like Hopkins to succeed him:
“We’d like that to happen, it’s just a question of what he wants,” Boeheim said. “What I want is not important. It’s what coach Hopkins wants to do is that’s important.”

Assuming that Hop goes, and JB only sticks around for 3 more seasons to get past 1000 ... does that give JB enough time to groom Autry as HC with GMac as #2?

No thank you. You go hire someone with coaching experience. We only kind of bought in to Mike because there has been a clear improvement in recruiting, he has kept it going for 10 years now without let up, and our performance has gotten better in the last decade than it was in the decade before.

would hop come back here is 5 years? even if he made USC a quality team? What if he fails miserably? do we look elsewhere for our next HC?

That's the risk Mike is taking, and Mike already played this card a few years ago, to get the designation of coach in waiting. Now, if he doesn't want to wait, there's no guarantee the job will be waiting here for him. In all likelihood, it wouldn't be.

That's the risk Mike is taking, and Mike already played this card a few years ago, to get the designation of coach in waiting. Now, if he doesn't want to wait, there's no guarantee the job will be waiting here for him. In all likelihood, it wouldn't be.

Hop is gone for good if he leaves. No way he makes a move like that and returns.

And there isn't anyone in the JB Coaching Tree that I would really be interested in seeing come here to take over for him. If JB retires and it isn't Hop, it's time to get creative and that means going outside of the program.

Here's a name to chew on. While I believe the time has passed by with him being out of coaching for awhile, I am reminded of his father saying at a bar during the BET several years ago that his kid someday wanted to be SU HC.

Tim Welsh.

Do we really think JB cares about staying to get 1,000? I mean...it's just a number. He's already racked up an incredible amount of wins. 930, 1,000, whatever. You don't stick around for records, you stick around because you're still into it and still great at it, in my opinion. I have a hard time thinking Boeheim would stick around to get to 1,000 wins.

Here's a name to chew on. While I believe the time has passed by with him being out of coaching for awhile, I am reminded of his father saying at a bar during the BET several years ago that his kid someday wanted to be SU HC.

Tim Welsh.

The key word there is "bar."

Tim Welsh.

I just mentioned Tim Welsh to a friend at work this afternoon. This other guy said to me that when he was a 13 year old at SU's basketball camp about 20 years ago, Welsh was one of the coaches. My friend was one of the older kids in the group, which was aged 10 to 13. So Welsh is coaching this group of kids and nearly every other word was an F bomb. My friend just shook his head. How do talk to 10 year olds that way, even if it was 20 years ago and Tim was a younger man back then?

Tim Welsh.

No chance. And if that happened, we would NOT be in a good hands.

Tim Welsh.

I like Tim Welsh and have followed his career pretty close. However, Tim Welsh is not the next HC of Syracuse basketball. I can see someone like Fran McCaffery (who would be a stretch) long before Tim Welsh's name came up.