Jimmy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jimmy...

I wonder what he said? Or did? Will we ever know? We need CTO to give us a report!

At the post-game, JB said it began to turn around after the GTown drubbing when he showed up for practice (showed up late, lol) and found that several of the players had gotten together and started their own practice. That hadn't happened all year and signified to him that things would be alright.

What happened to the abandon the zone crusade of a couple weeks ago???

Hmmm...
I have never said abandon the Zone (perhaps you have Igor on the mind) , I have always said sometimes you have to change the look. So far in this tournament that has been unnecessary, but it doesn't mean that we won't need a look change before all is said & done, but that being said.....it won't happen. It is obvious that this team will live or die by 100% zone.

Offensive and defensive efficiency, (and the differential):

2009-2010: 1.137-0.937 = 0.200
2011-2012: 1.141-0.933 = 0.208
2012-2013: 1.072-0.889 = 0.183

The three teams combined averaged 67 possessions per game. If you multiply their offensive and defensive efficiency ratings by 67 you get:
2009-2010: 76-63
2011-2012: 76-63
2012-2013: 72-60

I wish we had a big-time shot blocker like Fab or good inside scorers like AO and Rick but this team has played fanatical defense, perhaps moreso because they know there is no Fab to "clean it up" for them. And they find ways to score enough to win. The net difference is actually about the same as the two more "powerful" teams.

This a great defensive team and Brandon and Mike are the best defensive pair of guards we have ever had. Over the next week all the statistical evidence will bear this out. We simply destroyed our first four opponents holding 3 of them to season low scoring and offensive efficiency #'s

I said mcw was the best defensive guard we had here back in December and got laughed at.

Wow......this team was left for dead. It really isn't nearly as talented as our other teams from the last few years, but Jimmy has managed to instill confidence in this group. He has them playing smart, tenacious hoops.

What more can a coach do ???

I hate it when somebody says, "This may be his best coaching job". Coaches learn things over time but from year to year, they are about the same. Some teams need less coaching than others. Some need a different approach. But whatever a coach does or doesn't do, if it works it's a good coaching job.

Having said that, I think this late-season turn-around might be JB's best coaching job. For real.

I said mcw was the best defensive guard we had here back in December and got laughed at.
Not sure it was true in December. Seemed like he always went under picks and gave up jump shots and drives because of that. Lately he sometimes goes under but more often tries to fight through. Has made a big difference.

Barkley hates us too, for some reason. Oh well.
He doesn't like zone defense. Another guy who thinks it isn't real basketball. Who cares what Barkley thinks?

He doesn't like zone defense. Another guy who thinks it isn't real basketball. Who cares what Barkley thinks?
Yet with all his hate for SU and the zone, he picked us to win.

Its a much better team than you give credit for. In my opinion its the best defensive I've seen in 30 years.
t

That's it. Not the most talented Cuse team (though it is way up there). The energy of D is the best I can recall- and I've seen all the JB years. The D was excellent all year but it's gone to another level in the last two weeks- let's hope they can do it for one more week and a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom