JJ’s jumper | Syracusefan.com

JJ’s jumper

mark79

All Conference
It may just be me, but there seems to be a lot less of that weird extra motion in his jumper lately. Has me very encouraged. If both he and Judah can continue to improve their 3 point shooting we will be on a different level. Also very encouraged by how active Benny was. He played really hard against Oregon.

Judah is shooting 41.2% from 3 I’m not sure he can improve much on that.

It’s a shame he hasn’t moved up draft boards at all despite the excellent play and improvement all around. I think he will crush the combine though most of the guys projected to go in the first aren’t close to as good as him and not a ton of PGs.

I heard they locked him in a gym with old videos of his shooting form.

And then showed him videos of his current (before these last few games) form.

clockwork orange no GIF

:p

It may just be me, but there seems to be a lot less of that weird extra motion in his jumper lately. Has me very encouraged. If both he and Judah can continue to improve their 3 point shooting we will be on a different level. Also very encouraged by how active Benny was. He played really hard against Oregon.
Good eye. He's about back to his HS stroke. Watch the rotation of the ball and his release point.

When I watch him, I find myself thinking about Edelin. JJ reminds me of Billy especially when he drives to basket.

I think next season JJ is going to be fantastic and then depart to the NBA. Just my guess.
Mintz is putting up 20/night and shooting over 40% from 3 and is still only a late 2nd on most boards and is nowhere to be found in the first round anywhere. Starling should be a safe bet to play 4 years even with a good Jr season.

I think next season JJ is going to be fantastic and then depart to the NBA. Just my guess.
I'll take that because if he doesn't go nba after next year, that probably means he isn't fantastic next year. I hate to lose guys early, but if its to the nba, that's more palatable than other options.

Good eye. He's about back to his HS stroke. Watch the rotation of the ball and his release point.
What strange times we are in! 3 games ago when JJ was shooting 6% from three we were all scratching our head. Now I see comments (mostly on FB) that he might be a better NBA prospect than Judah if he continues this improved shooting stroke. And you are 100% spot on, the slow motion replay shows his rotation of the ball as perfect. On the flip side, Judah’s rotation spins sideways, which is kinda weird. However, I’ll take 40% all day long!

He is improving. I would like to see him rebound, play better D and get some steals.

I think people were writing JJ off way to quickly but his shot did look off at first. Confidence is a huge thing for shooters. Hoping he remains confident and shoots when they give it to him. One thing that did stick out to me though was the difference between home and away. Hopefully its just a matter of finding his stroke and getting comfortable.
1703008808953.png
hooters.

Does this imply his shooting stroke was broken by ND staff?
No idea but it was broken. Sometimes when we are injured, we compensate and that might have been the cause. Regardless his stroke looks to be on the mend. If you watch film on him, you can see two things. One sometimes and often when he misses, he cocks his shot/releases it at a higher level above his head. Second when his rotation on the ball is more spinning like a top vs a normal under and over spin his shot is off although his shot rotation does have a sideways rotation to it in general.

I think people were writing JJ off way to quickly but his shot did look off at first. Confidence is a huge thing for shooters. Hoping he remains confident and shoots when they give it to him. One thing that did stick out to me though was the difference between home and away. Hopefully its just a matter of finding his stroke and getting comfortable. View attachment 235400hooters.
I thought about this also.

Maybe depth perception at the Dome?

He’s getting there but JJs shot is not fixed. He still has the same hitch with pushing the ball out away from his body. It’s not as pronounced nor as low but it’s still there. Baby steps.

I think his early season struggles were mental more than anything. He was pressing and thinking too much. Now, he's settling in, thinking less, and gaining confidence. All that translates into better mechanics and shooting. He's also finishing much better at the rim. Snowball effect. Kid's a player.

I think people were writing JJ off way to quickly but his shot did look off at first. Confidence is a huge thing for shooters. Hoping he remains confident and shoots when they give it to him. One thing that did stick out to me though was the difference between home and away. Hopefully its just a matter of finding his stroke and getting comfortable. View attachment 235400hooters.
I think his difference in stats is more reflective of his improvement in the last few games than home vs away games. it just has happened that the "light clicked on" in the last few games where two were away games. However now when he gets back home and his game falls apart again, then you have found something to focus on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom