JJ Starling Highlights and Analysis | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Highlights and Analysis

Louisville vs. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Highlights (2022-23)

We got spoiled by Judah Mintz that some of our posters are complaining about a freshman "only" averaging 11 on an ACC team. Notre Dame was bad this year with a coach who was pretty well checked out. Plus, they had 5 grad transfers in the rotation. Considering, Starling played really well.

These highlights show a lot of what he can do. He's a shooting guard with point like handle. He can finish through contact and with both hands and is pretty creative in getting his shot off against shot blockers. He has to be respected on the drive, so he can make space for pull-ups out to three point range.

In conference play, Starling averaged (per 40 minutes): 14.7 points on 47% two point shooting. He pulled in 3.4 rebounds from the guard spot. He's strong and athletic, and shot a lot of free throws.

His weaknesses are common for freshman. He's going to need to shoot better from longer range, perhaps by being more selective. He needs to protect the ball better, as he had a negative assist to turnover ratio.

If Mintz, Starling, Taylor and Copeland are our guards next year, we can play with three guards a fair amount.

If our starters are Hima, Williams, Bell, Starling and Mintz we will have the longest most athletic starting five in a long time. We've rarely had taller than average plus athletes at every position.

The shooting will require improvement from all four non center starters, but every one of our perimeter players will have shown the ability to hit a three. Incremental improvement will be enough... We aren't talking a complete shot overhaul like Symir Torrence had to go through.

This could be a very good team without any other additions. I expect we'll still see some roster turnover, though.

If Jesse Edwards stays, this is a ranked team to start the year. We might even do some damage in Maui!
I think Jesse is coming back and he shoots 100 percent from 3. Problem solved!

I think Jesse is coming back and he shoots 100 percent from 3. Problem solved!
Shoot till you miss, Jesse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom