JJ Starling Highlights and Analysis | Syracusefan.com

JJ Starling Highlights and Analysis

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
Louisville vs. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Highlights (2022-23)

We got spoiled by Judah Mintz that some of our posters are complaining about a freshman "only" averaging 11 on an ACC team. Notre Dame was bad this year with a coach who was pretty well checked out. Plus, they had 5 grad transfers in the rotation. Considering, Starling played really well.

These highlights show a lot of what he can do. He's a shooting guard with point like handle. He can finish through contact and with both hands and is pretty creative in getting his shot off against shot blockers. He has to be respected on the drive, so he can make space for pull-ups out to three point range.

In conference play, Starling averaged (per 40 minutes): 14.7 points on 47% two point shooting. He pulled in 3.4 rebounds from the guard spot. He's strong and athletic, and shot a lot of free throws.

His weaknesses are common for freshman. He's going to need to shoot better from longer range, perhaps by being more selective. He needs to protect the ball better, as he had a negative assist to turnover ratio.

If Mintz, Starling, Taylor and Copeland are our guards next year, we can play with three guards a fair amount.

If our starters are Hima, Williams, Bell, Starling and Mintz we will have the longest most athletic starting five in a long time. We've rarely had taller than average plus athletes at every position.

The shooting will require improvement from all four non center starters, but every one of our perimeter players will have shown the ability to hit a three. Incremental improvement will be enough... We aren't talking a complete shot overhaul like Symir Torrence had to go through.

This could be a very good team without any other additions. I expect we'll still see some roster turnover, though.

If Jesse Edwards stays, this is a ranked team to start the year. We might even do some damage in Maui!

Last edited:
I sure hope that's not our starting lineup!

I'm guessin his athleticism and size will make him a great man defender. Pressure D with him and hopefully Judah will certainly be fun to see.

I sure hope that's not our starting lineup!

I'm guessin his athleticism and size will make him a great man defender. Pressure D with him and hopefully Judah will certainly be fun to see.
I think you are underestimating the combined effect of the sophomore leap and the change in scheme. Between the two, this could be an entirely different looking team, even with the same personnel.

Starling and Mintz playing together would be tremendous fun.

As an added thought, having two elite dribble penetration guards in Mintz and Starling paired with good spot up three point forwards in Bell and Williams is a dynamic we haven't had, ever.

Even with Hima, all he would have to do is play good defense, make layups on the drive and dish and dunk offensive rebounds that come right to him.

As an added thought, having two elite dribble penetration guards in Mintz and Starling paired with good spot up three point forwards in Bell and Williams is a dynamic we haven't had, ever.

Even with Hima, all he would have to do is play good defense, make layups on the drive and dish and dunk offensive rebounds that come right to him.

If Hima is our starting center( I see no scenario this happens) we would have major issues in the paint.

I think you are underestimating the combined effect of the sophomore leap and the change in scheme. Between the two, this could be an entirely different looking team, even with the same personnel.

Starling and Mintz playing together would be tremendous fun.
I wasn't talking about the potentail stud guard duo. It's the other 3 spots that aren't exactly something I want to see, especially at C.

I wasn't talking about the potentail stud guard duo. It's the other 3 spots that aren't exactly something I want to see, especially at C.
Fair enough... We haven't really seen much from Hima yet, he seemed tall and awkward to me. But he did block a lot of shots in limited minutes.

Bell and Williams both looked much better later in the season, especially Williams with his shot. But Bell seemed to be figuring things out by the end of the season as well.

I think they both could have much better seasons next year than this past season. Especially with Starling penetrating instead of Girard. The up and down style Autry is promising will work for them as well.

Louisville vs. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Highlights (2022-23)

We got spoiled by Judah Mintz that some of our posters are complaining about a freshman "only" averaging 11 on an ACC team. Notre Dame was bad this year with a coach who was pretty well checked out. Plus, they had 5 grad transfers in the rotation. Considering, Starling played really well.

These highlights show a lot of what he can do. He's a shooting guard with point like handle. He can finish through contact and with both hands and is pretty creative in getting his shot off against shot blockers. He has to be respected on the drive, so he can make space for pull-ups out to three point range.

In conference play, Starling averaged (per 40 minutes): 14.7 points on 47% two point shooting. He pulled in 3.4 rebounds from the guard spot. He's strong and athletic, and shot a lot of free throws.

His weaknesses are common for freshman. He's going to need to shoot better from longer range, perhaps by being more selective. He needs to protect the ball better, as he had a negative assist to turnover ratio.

If Mintz, Starling, Taylor and Copeland are our guards next year, we can play with three guards a fair amount.

If our starters are Hima, Williams, Bell, Starling and Mintz we will have the longest most athletic starting five in a long time. We've rarely had taller than average plus athletes at every position.

The shooting will require improvement from all four non center starters, but every one of our perimeter players will have shown the ability to hit a three. Incremental improvement will be enough... We aren't talking a complete shot overhaul like Symir Torrence had to go through.

This could be a very good team without any other additions. I expect we'll still see some roster turnover, though.

If Jesse Edwards stays, this is a ranked team to start the year. We might even do some damage in Maui!
If Jesse leaves then there’s no way Red doesn’t bring in a decent center. I can’t see any way Hima is our starting center next season.

Can we play with two balls? I hope Mintz and Starling can get along together, on and off the court. Nothing wrong with two guards with point-guard skills. It worked with Brandon and Scoop and later MCW. At it's best I could see Mintz and Starling destroying teams off the bunce as Triche and Williams did to Indiana. And if M&S stay 30% three-point guys, let's play pressure defense the whole game 40 Minutes of Orange!

Last edited:
If Hima is our starting center( I see no scenario this happens) we would have major issues in the paint.

He has shown Jeremy McNeil-level defensive ability. Not consistent last year, but at times quite intimidating, blocking or altering 4 or 5 shots in some games.

He has shown Jeremy McNeil-level defensive ability. Not consistent last year, but at times quite intimidating, blocking or altering 4 or 5 shots in some games.

Unfortunately also has Jeremy McNeil level hands and offensive ability at this point.

Unfortunately also has Jeremy McNeil level hands and offensive ability at this point.

Yeah, but if Hima can give us the defensive 20 minutes like McNeil, then we need to get a guy kind of like the Pittsburgh guy - built kind of like Michael Sweetney, who is maybe 6-8, 240 and can score in the low block.

If the other guy doesn't have to be a rim protector, and only has to provide the offensive side of the rotation and decent rebounding, that really opens up the pool of potential candidates.

And he’s not, like, really good.

He doesn't have to be.

We won a championship with Jeremy McNeil and Craig Forth as our centers. And we would not have won it without McNeil's game against Oklahoma State. So no trash talk about a national champion, please.

We also made a Championship game with J.B. Reafsnyder and Otis Hill at Center.

Neither one of those guys would be considered "really good", but they were good enough to be within a couple minutes of winning a championship, too.

We can win with Hima but im sure Red will add another. Keep Benny and Mintz and we are in really good shape

He doesn't have to be.

We won a championship with Jeremy McNeil and Craig Forth as our centers. And we would not have won it without McNeil's game against Oklahoma State. So no trash talk about a national champion, please.

Neither one of those guys would be considered "really good", but they were good enough to be within a couple minutes of winning a championship, too.
Otis was pretty darn good by his junior year. I wouldn’t group him with guys like JB, Forth, and McNeil at all.

He doesn't have to be.

All four of those players were farrrrrrrr more productive than what Hilma has brought to the table so far and not sure the upside has been evident. At best, he's an emergency 12-15 minute player.

All four of those players were farrrrrrrr more productive than what Hilma has brought to the table so far and not sure the upside has been evident. At best, he's an emergency 12-15 minute player.
hima is the perfect goalie to put in when you slap on the press. ala mcneil.
fouls be damned block everything.

McNeil 2002-03: 19 minutes, 3.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.9 blocks
McNeil the year before: 15 minutes, 3.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.5 blocks

Hima last year: 7 minutes, 1 point, 1.3 rebounds, 1 block
Year before: 10 minutes, 1.9 points, 2.8 rebounds, 1 block

Just on a per minute basis, Hima is not that far away from McNeil's productivity.

Hima had a 4 block, 6 rebound game in 15 minutes against UVa, who was rated #6 at the time. He also had 4 blocks against Boston College in 15 minutes, and had 4 points and 3 blocks against Georgetown in only 8 minutes on the floor.

Averaging 1 block in 7 minutes is elite shot blocking. It's unknown whether Red will value shot blocking at the center position to the exclusion of other skills like JB did. If so, Hima is a good bet to start.

If we proactively press to set the tone in games, Hima absolutely has a role as the goalie at the back of the press. In ACC play, Hima averaged 3.9 blocks per 40 minutes, which would have led the league. He also averaged 8.8 fouls per 40, which averages out to fouling out every 22 minutes. Still, a center who gets 5 boards, blocks 2 shots and gets a steal every game is a decent rotation player. We definitely need somebody else to help him out, even if he's our starter.

I don't think Patterson or Carey are the guys... But if they are what we have, we'll have to roll with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom