Joe Girard interview | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard interview

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
I know Tomcat has this in his daily articles but thought it was worth a separate thread. Great interview by Joe with Mike Waters. Mike asks a lot of excellent questions and the right questions. Joe is a smart kid and has a good head on his shoulders and was open and honest about things. Excellent listen.

I know Tomcat has this in his daily articles but thought it was worth a separate thread. Great interview by Joe with Mike Waters. Mike asks a lot of excellent questions and the right questions. Joe is a smart kid and has a good head on his shoulders and was open and honest about things. Excellent listen.

Great interview

Excited for Joe this year. One of the most fun things is watching these guys grow up through the interviews as well. Great kid who you can just see how much he has matured. Great interview and questions by Mike too.

Joe calling out Jesse so much just speaks to how highly they regard him ( as they should).

Two more things- Joe's response to the new guys in practice, you could tell he is amped to have some new blood to go up against. That is such a big aspect.

Also- his point on Benny as a few of us have raised as well in being the only freshman makes a lot of sense. You don't have other youngsters alongside you, instead you are trying to plug yourself into a team of veterans. That isn't easy. He did great taking on things like playing on the scout team. As good of an attitude as he could have. A team full of new blood should be great for him too. Very much a nice reset for him and one with guys he knows.

Like what JG3 brings to the table or not... these 3 years have gone by fast in my opinion. Hard to believe he is going to be a Senior. Joe has a good head on his shoulders. Like how he talked about Benny and the new kids coming in.

Last edited:
I hope he lights it up now that he is going to be at his natural position

I think he will. We brought in the best guy for the job I think to play alongside him plus Symir as well to do everything to help get the ball to guys in positions to score.

Like what JG3 brings to the table
200.gif

I think he will. We brought in the best guy for the job I think to play alongside him plus Symir as well to do everything to help get the ball to guys in positions to score.
I really hope they feature Jesse as he will open it up for Joe. Mintz and Sy being able to take guys off the bounce also helps free Joe.
I predict a 30+ Night for him. Maybe more

Good to hear that he has the right perspective on the fans. I hope our players recognize that we love them, and even if some of us vent about personal performances, it's just in the context of sports 'fandom.' And, jiminy—specifically re: the Fat Joe jokes... i mean, i personally was laughing at the jokes themselves. At some point, the jokes were about the jokes, not about Joe.

Whatever. I think i try not to rip our kids, and put the weight on the people who put them in the positions to succeed or fail. That's my ideal. Seeing/hearing interviews like this is a way to re-humanize the players and correct some perspectives.

Looking forward to Joe's senior year and seeing if a different role can make him even better... and it was good to see his smile in this interview.

He can score, convince me he plays defense next year. That will help the team immensely. No more flatfooted defense and attacking the other team on defense. We lost because of defense. No one on the board discusses defense. It is the elephant in the room, after a losing season.

He can score, convince me he plays defense next year. That will help the team immensely. No more flatfooted defense and attacking the other team on defense. We lost because of defense. No one on the board discusses defense. It is the elephant in the room, after a losing season.

His defense this past year didn't sink us. The partnership of having Joe, Buddy, Cole and Jimmy as a unit just left us too vulnerable and unathletic.

Last year we finished 77 in adjD, the year before 116. Both of those years with Joe playing major minutes. Neither of those years came close to the 207th we finished this past year.

With better athletes surrounding him, really across the entire team I am not worried we get shredded on D. Not saying I expect top 20 adjD either. We need to ensure we have the horses on offense to go with a significantly better D(relatively speaking).

Joes not a great defender but on this team he was one of our better defenders amongst the guards and forwards.

Defensive BPM rank

Cole
Joe
Buddy
Symir
Benny
Jimmy

As the 2 guard………22ppg, 3 apg (almost all to Jesse), 3 rpg, 2 turnovers pg

Not sure what his percentages will be…..but you can Book these numbers!

As the 2 guard………22ppg, 3 apg (almost all to Jesse), 3 rpg, 2 turnovers pg

Not sure what his percentages will be…..but you can Book these numbers!
Lol. I think Lawrence Moten, Billy Owens, John Wallace, and Melo are the only guys to average that many ppg in the past 45 years.

Last edited: