Joe Girard interview | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard interview

Goes back a little further...Bing averaged about 25 points a game for his 3 years.

averaging a high PPG is more a reflection on your team mates than your self. billy had lots of dudes who could score. some of the greatest SU players ever. dave bing not so much. on a balanced team you shouldn't be shooting 20 shots a night. really you shouldn't have to. options.

Goes back a little further...Bing averaged about 25 points a game for his 3 years.
That was before the shot clock and the three point line. It was a different game then, which makes what Bing did even more remarkable.

I was watching one of Bing's NBA games and there was this play I'll never forget. Walt Bellamy was on the other team and he grabbed an offensive rebound and went up for an easy jam. Bing came up the baseline out of nowhere, went over the rim and bounced the ball off Bellamy's head. Oscar Robertson was doing the color and he went totally nuts.

He was screaming "Dave Bing, my man"! "No guard can do that"! "My man"! Robertson went on like that for a couple of minutes.

It might have been Nate Thurmond he blocked. At my age the mind plays tricks.

Trolling us all along... CR..
actually I'll bet he's created a persona as one of the unmoored JB haters like that tbonezone one, just for his own entertainment-
C'MON MIKE OUT YOURSELF

So is Mike Waters on our board?
He should be.

If I am a journalist covering a team, a board like this provides a ton of free ideas for stories, rumors and stories verifying KCSU is wrong with his predictions.

Good for him. And the board benefits by having a HALL OF FAME journalist pursue stuff. Win/win.

Really great questions by Mike and a super interview all around. I thought Mike's comparison to the crap Scoop took to be dead-on. I remember when some "fans" on the board started calling Jardine "Scoopid." It was the first time I had ever seen SU fans ripping our own players in a totally juvenile fashion. There were periods when there would be an inward migration from the old syracuse.com board, and that was perhaps one of those times. Sad to say, it persists in a variety of forms, although Mike correctly noted that the ones who do that are still a small, but sadly vocal minority.

What really stood out, though, was the revelation that Benny asked the coaches if he could play on the scout team, simulating the opposition that we would be facing. Yeah, he got more minutes in practice that way, but Wow! talk about a team-oriented guy! For all the urban legends that people create on the internet about a player, Benny was proactively thinking of ways to help the team. How can you not want a guy like that to succeed? Same with Joe. I hope Benny polishes his SF skills and gains some weight to play the 4 and really blows up next year.

I love hearing about stuff like that from the players. It gives you such a great perspective on the team and the individuals themselves.