Joe Girard is not a PG | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard is not a PG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dcuse

All Conference
If I read that one more time my head will explode. A 2-1 ratio for a freshman High D1 is very,very good. He did a great job of handling pressure from great defensive guards as the primary ball handler all year. If that means nothing to you then all I can say is...get used to him or stop watching because he IS your point guard.

I really don't understand how we lost three guards to the transfer portal and have to feel the coaching staff needs to do a better job communicating with a kid like Goodine and assuring him he is a big part of the plan moving forward.

Having said that, I agree with this. Girard not only did all the things you mention but he plays with his head up and moves the ball. Even some of his turnovers are good ideas with poor execution (bad pass or potentially a pass to a guy not capable of handling the pass). He's a really solid player at that position. Not great and the defense is a big question, but definitely a very solid option at PG for us.

I don't like having a point guard who can't blow by a defender off the dribble. I think it severely limits our ability to break down a defense. I like Joe a lot and think he can be an excellent player for us, but if given the choice, I would prefer a PG who is more athletic.

I don't like having a point guard who can't blow by a defender off the dribble. I think it severely limits our ability to break down a defense. I like Joe a lot and think he can be an excellent player for us, but if given the choice, I would prefer a PG who is more athletic.
I thought he got by his guy and scored in the lane a good number of times this year. I’m not saying he is Allen Iverson but he is quicker than you are suggesting and his decision making off those drives has been pretty darn good for a freshman.

He did whatever he wanted against Cole Anthony.

I totally agree Joe and Kadary need to be the guards coming in. A transfer pg along with towns and tape would set us up for next year imo.

If I read that one more time my head will explode. A 2-1 ratio for a freshman High D1 is very,very good. He did a great job of handling pressure from great defensive guards as the primary ball handler all year. If that means nothing to you then all I can say is...get used to him or stop watching because he IS your point guard.
There is no doubt that JG was the best PG on this team. He had a very good season as a true freshman - despite the shooting numbers - playing against ACC level competition and some of the best defenders in the country.

The real issue IMO is that JG's skill set would be maximized playing off the ball.

There is no doubt that JG was the best PG on this team. He had a very good season as a true freshman - despite the shooting numbers - playing against ACC level competition and some of the best defenders in the country.

The real issue IMO is that JG's skill set would be maximized playing off the ball.
Yup. All true. Part of the issue is we don't do great running curls off picks, sealing off defenses etc to make a lot of open and easier shots. That said we looked fargen great against the Tar Heels but part of that was their surprisingly disinterest/getting their backside wiped.

I thought he got by his guy and scored in the lane a good number of times this year. I’m not saying he is Allen Iverson but he is quicker than you are suggesting and his decision making off those drives has been pretty darn good for a freshman.

I like Joe a lot, but I really worry about our ability to get back to the tournament if he's our point guard for 35+ min every game. There were a lot of times this past season during our 14 losses when Buddy and Joe just couldn't break down an athletic defense.

I would like to see his minutes more in the mid-to-high 20s with an athletic lead guard getting some more playing time. Even occasionally going small ball with a three guard lineup at times. I was hoping that guy would be Goodine.

If Kadary is capable of contributing as a freshman, it would be good if him and Joe split time at PG, and Joe can spell Buddy at SG. Joe has developed nicely as a PG, but his defense is still a liability.

He’s a fine PG, and will only get better. He looked more comfortable as the year went on and when that shot is falling, he can be lethal. He’s not Dior Johnson or Jonny Flynn athletically, but in years to come, we’ll look back on some of these “he’s not a PG” posts w/ ridicule.

I really don't understand how we lost three guards to the transfer portal and have to feel the coaching staff needs to do a better job communicating with a kid like Goodine and assuring him he is a big part of the plan moving forward.
Except he wasn’t.

Except he wasn’t.
You know that? I mean, he was a freshman who played 9 mpg and appeared in 23 of 32 games and neither Washington nor Carey were likely to beat him out (Carey was always a safe bet to transfer and he had already beaten out washington). Kadary could be a factor but he’s proven nothing at this point. JB always takes grief for not playing a deep rotation but he would prefer to have a solid three-guard rotation than not.

Maybe you have info I don’t but there would be minutes for a guard JB trusts. Goodine simply had to improve offensively and he would have earned more time, in my opinion, at least.

You know that? I mean, he was a freshman who played 9 mpg and appeared in 23 of 32 games and neither Washington nor Carey were likely to beat him out (Carey was always a safe bet to transfer and he had already beaten out washington). Kadary could be a factor but he’s proven nothing at this point. JB always takes grief for not playing a deep rotation but he would prefer to have a solid three-guard rotation than not.

Maybe you have info I don’t but there would be minutes for a guard JB trusts. Goodine simply had to improve offensively and he would have earned more time, in my opinion, at least.
And that’s a big part of the plan?

Similar to GMac who would have benefited so much more to having a legit point guard so he didn’t have to shoulder all the ball handling responsibilities.
You stole my post. If I could give you a triple like, I would.
If I remember correctly, SU won NC with GMac.

He is not a PG. it’s not his best position.

He doesn’t create. He doesn’t facilitate. He passes and dribbles.

Watch his pre-Syracuse tape. And, yes, he did some admirable things being forced to be the one this year.

Joe’s a talented ball handler who’s more than serviceable at the one. I personally think he’d benefit playing off the ball though.

i'll dispute your first premise. i think, regardless of how he was listed, eli was the best point guard on the team and was the de facto pg in more than half of the possessions this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom